The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

What to know when buying a Gyro

Postby Condor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 am

As requested Mak.

To all readers, refer to the contents of the Nic Prinsloo saga until this post is functional.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
Rampant Rat
Ready for the first flight

Re: What to know when buying a Gyro

Postby Rampant Rat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Heheheheheh. Interesting stuff on the other post! Yes, if you want to buy a gyro make sure you know what you are buying or get the Vaseline out for a serious lesson in asset selection....
One poster even boasted that he had many happy hours flying a Sycamore with an illegal 33ft rotor. I think I must have been the idiot who bought it from him, and it took me many diniero's and 3 years to get it into the air! It happened because I didn't even know what a Gyro was, never mind a log book or TCU printout. First time buyers beware, take somebody with you who is an Agent or AP. And just like second hand car salesmen, if the person selling the Gyro is wearing white shoes, don't believe a word he says! (Apologies to any honest car salesmen who don't wear white shoes)
Richard Smallman
ZU-RKJ Trojan Gyro
ZU-FXN Sling 2
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:08 am

Hey guys! i have once again been out of circulation for some time and really missed the banter on the forum. I see posts are few and far between. We need a big event or something newsworthy or chatworthy to light the fires. Maybe the Botswana airshow next month? I believe 12 of us so far going?
i was saddend to read about Nic Prinsloo. I have dealt with him on only one occation and found my dealings with him above board, ethical and very satisfactory. My friend Vic Venter also sold his M 24 through Nic after unsuccessfully trying to do so on his own. I am sad to hear the ' negative reviews' and am surprised that Nic does not post his side of the story. He has been in this game for many years as have many other aircraft dealers out there at NAC, Commair, Foster Air, investment Aircraft and so many I have had contact and dealings with over many years since buying my first aircraft in 1989. Surely you do not stay in business for so long if you are in it for all the wrong reasons? Maybe I am just being naive. Forgive me.
Hope you are all still enjoying your gyros. Wonderful flying weather lately for us up North. Blue skies, crisp mornings, windless days. Loving the Calidus. Go well all! (^^)
fstrydom
Thinking of flying

Postby fstrydom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 am

RAMPANT RAT
Richard,Seems like i cannot contact you via PM.Your cell.no.pse.
Scary Pilot 078 267 6145
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Where can I find Gerhard Roux's checklist of things to be aware of when buying a Gyro?
(Besides Nick Prinsloo :-)

Rgds

len
nomie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby nomie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:26 pm

t-bird wrote:
Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:56 am
How to buy a second hand Gyro should be a sticky in this section.

Here is some suggestion from me

• Have a contract with
a. Condition of sale is fresh ATF inspection
b. Any defects picked up on ATF inspection should be rectified by seller
c. Any major non disclosed defects picked up should give the buyer the opportunity to cancellation of the deal.
d. Buyer can pay for ATF but seller should reimbursed if deal is cancelled due to defects.

• A gyro should come with all the documents – SAGPA should supply this list
a. Previous ATF
b. Airframe Logbook – Confirm airframe number is the same
c. Engine Logbook – Confirm engine number is the same as gyros
d. Flight folio
e. CAA registration Card
f. Gyro operations manual

Go through this documents and check the following
• Is the propeller number still the same ? A different one indicates a prop strike
• Is the rotor and hubbar still original.
• Any major repair to engine ?
• Engine age compared to airframe age – Old engines have been fitted to new Gyros
• Get the engine number and contact rotax to get a list of all the Advisory bulletins and notices applicable to engine.
• Contact agent and ask if there are any Advisory notices outstanding on the Gyro this is if agent does not do the ATF inspection.
• Make a list of when the engine was serviced and by who and compare the service intervals with rotax recommended intervals.

It sounds like a mouthful but documents is part of the gyro and should be readily available.
Niren at Rotax is very helpful , phone him and get the info regarding the engine.
Get a simple contract drafted any contract is better than no contract.
Contact the agents , Antony ELA, Butch Magni, Theuns MTO , etc

This is what I would do if I intend to pay over R 500 k for a second hand item which engine alone is probably R 300k.
nomie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby nomie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm

t-bird wrote:
Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:08 am
Another point to add to the buyers list

Get a TCU printout before buying

This will confirm the number of engine hours. Only the Magni’s flydat read the TCU for engine hours the rest of the Gyros use a separate hobbs meter. The engine charging the battery activate the hobs meter , the readings will be wrong if you have a charging problem.

This is important when you have an engine problem as Rotax will only except the TCU hours.

The engine manual could stipulate oil changes at 100 hours which you have done per the hobbs ,but if you reconcile it to TCU hours it could end up at 80 hours and then 120 hours, do you see the problem.

I think the TCU printout can also give info as to if the engine was over speeded, over heated , over boosted etc

The TCU is the turbo control unit that log’s engine parameters and hours. These parameters can be downloaded with a serial cable to a laptop with the download program on it.

Glen Meyer, Gideon etc have this program give them a call and ask them to confirm the hours and if there are any other issues.