Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" Every 3rd Saturday

Postby Bundy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Herewith the details for the next Tailwinds "Fun Nav"

Date: May 21st:

Briefing: 06h15 in the Lapa (For M-Land Pilots)
First take off: 06h40 (Thereafter every 3 minutes)

Total Distance: 65.65 NM

Route:

Start point: Directly overhead Bapsfontein Tower
Waypoint 1: Line of trees shaped like a "t" ( S 26 22'33.80" E 28 43'37.41")
Waypoint 2: Western edge of Racetrack ( S 26 04'26.25" E 28 44'52.10")
Endpoint: Directly overhead the signal area at FABA

Route Layout:
May Nav.jpg
Waypoint 1:
May Nav Wpt1.jpg
Waypoint 2:
May Nav Wpt 2.jpg
Rules:

1: Co ordinates are given here for planning purposes and to confirm waypoints....you may not use any electronic navigation devices in flight.
2: You may only use a Paper map, magnetic compass and a stopwatch/wristwatch to navigate as well as any written notes or Google earth images of the waypoint you wish.
3: After planning your flight time, you must submit that time to me either at the briefing...or (if you are based somewhere else) via SMS before you take off.
4:Once airbourne...you start your time directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower, then complete the nav via the waypoints and stop your clock overhead the windsock/signal area at Microland. This time is then compared to your nominated time, and the difference is your score (in seconds) for the exercise.
5: You may fly solo or with PAX...your choice.
6: Pilots with PAX must take photo's of the waypoints as they have a spare set of hands for this purpose...but for safety's sake, solo pilots can do so at their own discretion.
7: If you arrive at a waypoint early...you may NOT orbit or slalom to gain time.... You may of course however, control your airspeed or decend/climb along your track to correct errors or variances in your planning.
8: When flying any planned route...always adhere to the rules of the air and practice good airmanship with due consideration for others.
9: You take part entirely at your own risk...its a fun challenge...nothing more.
10: You can join in as many monthly nav's as you like...but you must compete at least 3 in a calendar year to be in the running for the "Champ"
11: The Overall Winner of the year will be decided after the last Fun Nav in October. Your 3 best times for the year will be averaged to determine your final score for the year. (^^)
12: Only fully completed Nav's will be entered into the log. Should you have to divert, abandon or miss a waypoint due to weather or other circumstances then you will not be able to set a time for that event.
13: Any pilot/aircraft combination is allowed to compete as you are flying against your own speeds and planning proficiency....
14 Those not able to land at FABA after the Nav are welcome to simply sms or e mail me their times/pics and I will load your results on the log.

Hope to see you guys there! (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat May 07, 2016 6:10 am

Morning all,

I have had to postpone the May Fun Nav as Merv has unfortunately arranged the Rand Fly In on the same date...

The next Fun Nav will now be on June 18th. 8)

We need more than 3 pilots to take part guys....So far only Connie and Fanie have shown interest and if we cannot get more pilots involved and committed to this every month then I will be forced to cast the idea aside...

Please support the event, I would be sad to have to dissappoint those who have already participated because of the lack of interest...

I look forward to seeing you all in June then, the route will remain unchanged. (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 am

Reminder of the Tailwinds Fun Nav this Saturday! (^^)

Briefing Time: 06h40 in the Lapa
First Take off: 07h00 Sharp.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Kind Regards,
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:11 am

Sadly the Weather Gods did not cast their best conditions on us yesterday for our Monthly Fun Nav... ##
Mist.jpg
Many Thanks to Hannes and Andre for the attempt. (^^)

Andre did manage to get airbourne for his attempt at about 09h00 but had to turn back near the first waypoint.

Next Fun Nav will be on Saturday July 16th...please come join us!

Builds your skills and its a great personal challenge to see how accurately you can plan and fly! (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31 am

Herewith the Route for the next Tailwinds Fun Nav.

Date: Saturday July 16th

Briefing: 06h40 sharp in the Lapa. (For ML Pilots)
First Take off: 07h00 (Thereafter every 4 minutes, fastest to slowest)

Total Distance: 63.62 NM

Route:
Jul Nav.jpg
Start Point: Directly overhead Bapsfontein Tower
Waypoint 1: Oom Polla's Runway ( S 26 03'00.44" E 28 33'09.97")
Waypoint 2: Farm Dam Brandbach ( S 25 39'54.78" E 28 37'38.11")
Waypoint 3: Old Hangar ( S 25 34'05.60" E 28 32'04.94" )
Waypoint 4: Bridge over Pienaars River ( S 25 46'41.70" E 28 24'26.95")
End Point: Directly overhead the signal area at Microland

Waypoint 1:
Jul nav wpt 1.jpg
Waypoint 2:
Jul Nav wpt 2.jpg
Waypoint 3:
Jul Nav wpt 3.jpg
Waypoint 4:
Jul Nav wpt 4.jpg
Safety Considerations:

Please be watchful as you overfly eastern Mamelodi, this is an exit point for Wonderboom Airspace and you may have traffic inbound/outbound to avoid.

Rules:

1: Co ordinates are given here for planning purposes and to confirm waypoints....you may not use any electronic navigation devices in flight.
2: You may only use a Paper map, magnetic compass and a stopwatch/wristwatch to navigate as well as any written notes or Google earth images of the waypoint you wish. (Airnav pro is not allowed)
3: After planning your flight time, you must submit that time to me either at the briefing...or (if you are based somewhere else) via SMS/whatsapp before you take off. My number is ( Oh Seven 2 Eight 23 2341 )
Please include the following:

Your Full Name:
Aircraft Type:
Registration No:
Your Nominated Route Time:

4:Once airbourne...you start your time directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower, then complete the nav via the waypoints given and stop your clock overhead the northern windsock/signal area at Microland. Joining and landing is NOT included in your flight time.
This time is then compared to your nominated time, and the difference is your score (in seconds) for the exercise.
6: Pilots with PAX must take photo's of the waypoints as they have a spare set of hands for this purpose...but for safety's sake, solo pilots can do so at their own discretion.
7: If you arrive at a waypoint early...you may NOT orbit or slalom to gain time.... You may of course however, control your airspeed or decend/climb along your track to correct errors or variances in your planning.
8: When flying any planned route...always adhere to the rules of the air and practice good airmanship with due consideration for others.
9: You take part entirely at your own risk...its a fun challenge...nothing more.
10: You can join in as many monthly nav's as you like...but you must complete at least 3 in a calendar year to be in the running for the "Champ"
11: The Overall Winner of the year will be decided after the last Fun Nav in October. Your 3 best times for the year will be averaged to determine your final score for the year. (^^)
12: Only fully completed Nav's will be entered into the log. Should you have to divert, abandon or miss a waypoint due to weather or other circumstances then you will not be able to set a time for that event.
13: Any pilot/aircraft combination is allowed to compete as you are flying against your own speeds and planning proficiency....
14 Those not able to land at FABA after the Nav are welcome to simply sms or e mail me their times/pics and I will load your results on the log.

Please support the event Guys! (!!)

It is a hell of a lot of fun and builds your skills! (^^)

I hope to see you guys there! (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one July16th)

Postby Bundy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 am

Just a reminder that this coming Saturday is the Monthly Fun Nav! (^^)

(See Route Info Above)

Please join us and don't forget the usual Tailwinds Braai afterwards. (^^)

Hope to see y'all there! (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one Aug 20th 2016)

Postby Bundy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:20 am

Many thanks to Hendrik Loots, Fanie Lombaard, Rob Shaw, and Nick Swardt for being good sports and joining me for another Tailwinds Fun Nav in stunning conditions yesterday morning. 8)

Hendrik was the winner on the day in his Sling. Well done to the Petit skymaster! (^^) (^^)

Just some shots of the waypoints...
13697139_998791210217419_8067270028072535586_n.jpg
13697263_998791293550744_3472325312898762659_n.jpg
13697118_998791480217392_1436620922646458674_n.jpg
13716223_998792630217277_6260862738822217450_n.jpg
13731587_998792680217272_1530403456205530636_n.jpg
Results and standings so far...
Tailwinds Fun Nav 16072016 Results.pdf
(67.33 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Tailwinds Nav Champ Table 2016.pdf
(66.04 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

I am unfortunately away for the next months date ( Aug 20th) but I will set a Fun Nav in any case for you all to do in my absence. Thanks for your support chaps. Great Fun!

Will post the route in the next couple of days... (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one Aug 20th 2016)

Postby Bundy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Herewith Route Details for the next

Tailwinds Fun Nav

Date: Saturday October 15th 2016

Briefing: Briefing 05h50 in the LAPA (For ML Pilots)
First Take Off: 06h00 (Thereafter every 4 minutes, fastest to slowest)

Total Distance: 74.06 NM

Route:
Aug Nav.jpg
Start Point: Directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower.
Waypoint 1: Tree line shaped like a "V" ( S 26 21'26.83" E 28 36'18.81")
Waypoint 2: Horseshoe bend in river (S 26 03'48.33" E 28 51'42.71")
Waypoint 3: Farmshed with curved boma ( S 25 57'02.36" E 28 44'09.68")
End Point: Directly overhead the Northern Windsock/Signal Area at Microland

Waypoint 1:
Waypoint 1.jpg
Waypoint 2:
Waypoint 2.jpg
Waypoint 3:
Waypoint 3.jpg
Rules:

2: You may only use a Paper map, magnetic compass and a stopwatch/wristwatch to navigate as well as any written notes or Google earth images of the waypoint you wish. (Airnav pro is not allowed)
3: After planning your flight time, you must submit that time to me either at the briefing...or (if you are based somewhere else) via SMS/whatsapp before you take off. My number is ( Oh Seven 2 Eight 23 2341 )

Please include the following:

Your Full Name:
Aircraft Type:
Registration No:
Your Nominated Route Time:

4:Once airbourne...you start your time directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower, then complete the nav via the waypoints given and stop your clock overhead the northern windsock/signal area at Microland. Joining and landing is NOT included in your flight time.
This time is then compared to your nominated time, and the difference is your score (in seconds) for the exercise.
10: You can join in as many monthly nav's as you like...but you must complete at least 3 in a calendar year to be in the running for the "Champ"

Hope to see you there!

Don't forget to sms/WhatsApp me your times. :)

Enjoy! (^^)
Last edited by Bundy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one SEP 17th 2016)

Postby Bundy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 am

As No one attempted the Aug nav.... the route will remain unchanged for Sep 17th... :)

Details above... (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one SEP 17th 2016)

Postby Bundy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 am

Morning all, I have decided not to participate in tomorrow's Fun Nav but if you would like to fly the route and conditions are within your limits then you are more than welcome to do so! (^^)
There will be no briefing as I will only get to FABA a little later in the morning so just jot down your times as per the rules and I will get them from you afterwards....

Braai will continue as usual....look forward to seeing you for n Dop n Tjop! (^^)

Fly Safe and enjoy! :)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Next one OCT 15th 2016)

Postby Bundy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 am

Morning all,

Sadly the weather did not allow us to fly this past weekends Nav....I leave it unchanged again for October 15th.

Will be the last Fun Nav.... so come give it a shot! (^^)

See you there.... (^^)