Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Tailwinds "Fun Nav" (Discontinued)

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:54 am

Tailwinds "Fun Nav" Every 3rd Sat morning of the Month:

Greetings fellow Aviators! (^^)

In the spirit of fun and to inspire a bit of healthy competition between us all...I have decided to try start a bit of a fun "Nav Championship" for us to co-incide with our monthly Tailwinds Braai's. vhpy

I will post full details and a full set of rules in good time... but this is basically how it will work:

Each Braai day will start with a 60-80NM Navigational exercise in the early morning.... With a minimum of 2 waypoints.
Waypoints to be photographed in flight as "proof".

Only paper maps, magnetic compass and stopwatch are allowed as nav aids.
You will nominate your flight duration before you take off based on your planning. The difference between your nominated time and your actual recorded time will be your score... (!!)
All exercises will start outbound overhead Bapsfontein Tower and end reporting overhead the windsock at MLand to avoid time lost joining and landing...as well as to not interfere with the training that is done through Skyriders. You fly against the clock...and you record your own time.

We will keep a spreadsheet log of the entries and times throughout the year. A "Grand Champion" will be crowned at the annual Xmas braai based on your 3 best results/times in that year.
You must fly a minimum of 3 Nav's during the year to be in the running for that.... ^

The Monthly Tailwinds Braai will be held as usual after the Nav... (^^)

I hope you will join me in taking part... (!!)

All pilots in any aircraft within flying distance of FABA are welcome! Pilots from elsewhere just need to send me their chosen route and nominated times via sms before they take off. Pics and final times can be e mailed to me thereafter for convenience if they are not able to join us for the braai. Will try my best to accommodate as many as I can... (!!)

I will post the details of the first one on Feb 20th soon....

Please send me your suggestions and comments as we progress....we'll see how the first one goes and then take it from there..?

Cheers!
Bundy.
Last edited by Bundy on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Tailwinds "Fun Nav" Every 3rd Saturday

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Right...thanks to all who sent me feedback so far....appreciate it. (^^)

To simplify matters (for now) we shall stick to 1 planned route. :wink:

Here is the first Nav to happen on Saturday Feb 20th!

Briefing (for MLand Pilots): 05h45
First Take Off: 06h00 thereafter every 3 minutes.

Start point: Bapsfontein Tower
Waypoint 1: New Largo Mine Dam (S 25 57'52.79" E 28 57'34.01")
Waypoint 2: Bronkie Drag Strip (S 25 44'18.27' E 28 42'22.42")
End Point: Directly overhead the signal area/windsock at Microland.

Route distance= 69.14 NM
Route 1 Nav.jpg
Nice easy one to start! (^^)

Rules:

1: Co ordinates are given here for planning purposes and to confirm waypoints....you may not use any electronic navigation devices in flight.
2: You may only use a Paper map, magnetic compass and a stopwatch/wristwatch to navigate as well as any written notes or google earth images of the waypoint you wish.
3: After planning your flight time, you must submit that time to me either at the briefing...or (if you are based somewhere else) via SMS before you take off.
4:Once airbourne...you start your time directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower, then complete the nav via the waypoints and stop your clock overhead the windsock/signal area at Microland. This time is then compared to your nominated time, and the difference is your score (in seconds) for the exercise.
5: You may fly solo or with PAX...your choice.
6: Pilots with PAX must take photo's of the waypoints as they have a spare set of hands for this purpose...but for safety's sake, solo pilots can do so at their own discretion.
7: If you arrive at a waypoint early...you may NOT orbit or slalom to gain time.... You may of course however, control your airspeed or decend/climb along your track to correct errors or variances in your planning.
8: When flying any planned route...always adhere to the rules of the air and practice good airmanship with due consideration for others ##
9: You take part entirely at your own risk...its a fun challenge...nothing more.
10: You can join in as many monthly nav's as you like...but you must compete at least 3 in a calendar year to be in the running for the "Champ" (!!)
11: The Overall Winner of the year will be decided after the last Fun Nav in October. Your 3 best times for the year will be averaged to determine your final score for the year. (^^)
12: Only fully completed Nav's will be entered into the log. Should you have to divert, abandon or miss a waypoint due to weather or other circumstances then you will not be able to set a time for that event.
13: Any pilot/aircraft combination is allowed to compete as you are flying against your own speeds and planning proficiency....(I do not discriminate against Balloons...but this is prob not going to work for you guys? Sorry! :) )
14 Those not able to land at FABA after the Nav are welcome to simply sms or e mail me their times/pics and I will load your results on the log.

I am trying to keep this all simple, fun and interesting!
It will test your planning, map-reading, accurate flying and weather prediction skills....will undoubtedly improve them all... and its a serious jol! vhpy

So...go blow the dust off those protractors....I hope to see you guys next weekend!

Cheers! (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:27 am

Morning all,

Here are the images if the two waypoints for Sat's Fun Nav.

Wpt 1: New Largo Mine Dam
New Largo dam.jpg
WPT 2: Bronkie Drag Strip
BHS Drag Strip.jpg
Look forward to seeing you on Saturday Morning!
(^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 am

With an eye cast on the forecast for Saturday's first Fun Nav...I think we may have to postpone it... but I'm holding thumbs for an improvement. :wink:

I will make a final call tommorrow afternoon and notify you all as to whether or not the Fun Nav will go ahead.

Thanks, Bundy. (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:35 am

Morning all, just to notify you that tomorrow's inaugural Tailwinds Fun Nav will go ahead for those wanting to participate... (^^)

There has been a slight improvement in the forecast so I'm happy to go ahead. I will be at FABA bright and early and the Briefing for FABA pilots will be at 05h45 in the lapa.
Please watch the forecast and stay within your limits chaps...there is of course no pressure to participate.

WE FLY FOR FUN! (!!)

Lets hope the wind allows us to get the first one under the belt tomorrow!

See you in the morning!
Cheers, Bundy
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:37 am

Well as expected, the wind understandably did keep quiet a few chaps away yesterday... but Conrad/Hannes in their Savannah and Myself/Troy (DBP) were able to participate in conditions that were firm yet stable on the day. Visibility was great and the sky was smooth, I had a lekker flight, great fun! (^^)

I managed to do the 69.1NM Route in 01:44:15 which was 1 Min and 3 seconds behind my nominated time of 01:43:12 :)

Will try get a little closer to the mark next time around (^^)

Lets hope the weather gives us a perfect day for us all next month! The next Fun Nav will be on the 19th of March, route will be posted closer to the time.

Hope to catch you there! (!!)
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:50 am

Here are the results from Saturday's Fun Nav....

Lets hope for better weather and more entries next month! :)

See you at the next one!
Tailwinds Fun Nav 20022016 Results.pdf
(53.57 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:27 am

Morning all.

Herewith the details for the next Tailwinds Fun Nav....

Date: Saturday March 19th
Briefing: 05h50 (For Microland Pilots)
First take off: 06h10 (Thereafter every 3 minutes)

Route:

Start Point: Bapsfontein Tower
Waypoint 1: Railway Bridge ( S 25 58'57.87" E 28 31'57.83")
Waypoint 2: R25/R513 Junction ( S 25 51'31.78" E 28 41'25.76")
Waypoint 3: Little Eden Swimming pool ( S 25 34'30.02" E 28 34'32.94")\
Endpoint: Directly over signal area windsock at Microland

Route Distance = 59.86NM

Just a reminder of the rules... :)

Rules:

1: Co ordinates are given here for planning purposes and to confirm waypoints....you may not use any electronic navigation devices in flight.
2: You may only use a Paper map, magnetic compass and a stopwatch/wristwatch to navigate as well as any written notes or Google earth images of the waypoint you wish.
3: After planning your flight time, you must submit that time to me either at the briefing...or (if you are based somewhere else) via SMS before you take off.
4:Once airbourne...you start your time directly overhead the Bapsfontein Tower, then complete the nav via the waypoints and stop your clock overhead the windsock/signal area at Microland. This time is then compared to your nominated time, and the difference is your score (in seconds) for the exercise.
5: You may fly solo or with PAX...your choice.
6: Pilots with PAX must take photo's of the waypoints as they have a spare set of hands for this purpose...but for safety's sake, solo pilots can do so at their own discretion.
7: If you arrive at a waypoint early...you may NOT orbit or slalom to gain time.... You may of course however, control your airspeed or decend/climb along your track to correct errors or variances in your planning.
8: When flying any planned route...always adhere to the rules of the air and practice good airmanship with due consideration for others.
9: You take part entirely at your own risk...its a fun challenge...nothing more.
10: You can join in as many monthly nav's as you like...but you must compete at least 3 in a calendar year to be in the running for the "Champ"
11: The Overall Winner of the year will be decided after the last Fun Nav in October. Your 3 best times for the year will be averaged to determine your final score for the year. (^^)
12: Only fully completed Nav's will be entered into the log. Should you have to divert, abandon or miss a waypoint due to weather or other circumstances then you will not be able to set a time for that event.
13: Any pilot/aircraft combination is allowed to compete as you are flying against your own speeds and planning proficiency....
14 Those not able to land at FABA after the Nav are welcome to simply sms or e mail me their times/pics and I will load your results on the log.

March Nav Route.jpg
Waypoint 1:
March WPT 1.jpg
Waypoint 2:
March WPT2.jpg
Waypoint 3:
March WPT3.jpg
Let's hope for better weather and a better turnout this time! (^^)

I'll see you on the apron guys! (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:17 am

Just a Reminder of the Tailwinds Fun Nav this coming Saturday! (^^)

Briefing in the Lapa (for FABA pilots) at 05h50 sharp. :)

See you on the Apron!

(!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:10 am

My thanks to the Petit boys...Brett "Bullet" Hickman, George Mienie, and Hendrik "the Doc" Loots for attempting the Nav with me this morning.... (^^)

Unfortunately we could not progress past the first waypoint due to IMC conditions ahead... :( Thick mist and cloud towards the North... ##

Due to the fact that no one could complete it I will leave the route unchanged for the next one. (!!)

Although the NAV was a balls up, the conditions were perfect and allowed for some stunning scenery along the mist banks. Great day to fly! (!!)

Will see you guys at the next one! (^^)

On Route from the Tower to the first waypoint...the path to the North looking blocked.
IMG_0850.jpg
Half a click from the first way point and you still cant see it... :wink:
IMG_0851.jpg
First and only waypoint reached...
IMG_0854.jpg
The turnaround point...skies behind completely open but route ahead impossible under VFR
IMG_0857.jpg
Some beautiful scenes back along the edge of the mist bank to compensate us... (!!)
IMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:21 am

Please note:

Due to the March 19th Nav having to be abandoned...the Route for the April 16th Nav will be the same.

Next Tailwinds Fun Nav will be on:

Sat April 16th

I'll see you guys there! (^^)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:10 am

Reminder of the Tailwinds Fun Nav this weekend...Saturday 16th April!

The route is the same as the March 19th Nav posted above!
Briefing (For FABA pilots) at 06h10 sharp in the lapa.
Pilots flying from elsewhere simply sms me your time and take off at your leisure.

Alan: oh 7 two 823 2tree 4 0ne.

Hope to see you there! (^^)

(!!)
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 am

The railway bridge really looks cool s040

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:21 am

Madman wrote:The railway bridge really looks cool s040

(^^)
Note Raf...you must take your pic from above the bridge.... ^ (^^)

I'll try get a clearer pic tomorrow. vhpy
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks to Fanie Lombaard for joining me yesterday, what a great morning to be in the air! Pristine conditions!

Fanie kicked my butt but I'll be back! ## :lol:
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
Here is the updated "Champ Table" (Provisional as no one has yet completed the 3 Nav Minimum) :)
Tailwinds Nav Champ Table 2016.pdf
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Look forward to the next one.... (^^)

May 21st.