BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Postby mulderpm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 am

Hi All fellow aviators,

Ok, I have edited this first posting to summarise all the important information in this thread.

1.0 TRIP SUMMARY

Mervyn Reynolds (Grade A Instructor at Sky Riders Flight School, Microland) and myself are planning a Botswana fly-away in 2015. There has been a number of these trips in the past, one of which was aranged by Mervyn in 2011. I have visited the northern parts of Botswana by 4X4 several times in the past 10 years. My last trip was at the end of August, this year.

All Microlight, Fixed wing, rotary wing pilots/aviators, novices or fundies are welcome. Trailer in, fly-in or just drive in, but join us. (^^)

This trip is a flying Safari, adventure to Kasane (Chobe & Vic Falls), Sua Pan (Mkgadikgadi Pans) and Maun (Okavango Delta) as bases. All bases will be accessible by 2 wheel drive and will have camping and chalet accommodation. For safety and recovery reasons, all flying routes will be close to tarred roads. All activities will be arranged and you are welcome to join in, or just park off. This is not just about flying. There will be something of interest for everyone. Game drives, boat cruises, candle lit dinners in the bush and on a boat, Vic Falls day trips, Tiger fishing, Kubu Island and so on. You can fly-in, trailer-in or just drive in, the choice is all yours. It is most definitely not a mane only trip.

2.0 Route & Base Camps

The official starting point of the adventure will be in the area which has the most varied activities and is the furthest point.... Kasane. For those who are driving...due to the distance and a customs clearance, it was decided to overnight at Elephant Sands (no runway). The next day, we will only travel 215 km to Kasane. We will get there early enough to still rig and fly in the afternoon.
Resize of Botswana trip 2015.jpg
Kasane (Arr: 26 April, Dep: 1 May - 4 Days)– We park the planes at Kasane Airport and stay at either Chobe Safari Lodge, http://www.chobesafarilodge.com, OR for those who want to stay out of town, Senyati Safari Camp, http://senyatisafaricampbotswana.com. As this is the official starting point, everyone must be at Chobe Safari Lodge at 20H00 on the 26th April 2015. We will all meet in front of the dining area. The Kasane area includes flight/s to Vic Falls, flight/s along the Chobe National Park border and down Lesomo Valley. Game Boat cruises along the Chobe River and dinner on a river boat. Game drives in Chobe NP and adjacent Forest Reserves, tiger fishing, and trips, by car, to Vic Falls (bungee jumping etc).

Kasane to Sua Pan via road refuel strip (318Km)

Sua Pan (Arr: 1 May, Dep: 3 May - 2 days) - We fly in to Sua Pan Airfield for transfer to Mkgadikgadi Pan Lodge. If dry, we park the planes on the pan. This area includes, flying around pans, Kubu Island, Kukonje Island, Nata Bird Sanctuary (Flamingo colonies) and for those who want to..... camp out on the pan.

Sua Pan to Maun via refuel stop at Gweta Airfield (290Km)

Maun (Arr: 3 May, Dep: 7 May - 4 days) - We fly in to Maun Airport and park the planes at Maun Airport for transfer to Island Safari Lodge, http://www.islandsafarilodge.co... http://www.islmaun.com. This area includes, flying over the Okavango Delta, Makoro trips, boat trips, fishing, and Game drives in Moremi.

Home 7th & 8th May 2015.

Maun is the last official base camp. From there, or anywhere earlier for that matter, some with trailers, may want to fly some of the way home. As such there will be a group flying from Maun to Orapa Airfield (243Km). The Southern parts of the Makgadikgadi Pans are also very beautiful to fly over and is well worth considering. They will then de-rig at Orapa Airfield and trailer home from there.

3.0 Budgetary Costs

Approximate all inclusive costs, (food & drink, activities and spending money are not included):
Camping: R 13 000
Chalet: R 21 000 (1 person)
Chalet: R 23 000 (2 persons)
This is for trailering to Kasane and back from Maun.

See next posting for more details.

Because of the variety of requirements I propose each person books for himself. This way, for the chalet accomodation you can share with someone else and you are free to book for the parts you want to.

4.0 Accomodation Booking Information

Accomodation details below:

KASANE
- Chobe Safari Lodge, http://www.chobesafarilodge.com. Book for yourself.
OR
- Senyati Safari Camp, http://senyatisafaricampbotswana.com. Book for yourself.
SUA PAN
- Makgadikgadi Lodge, I have reserved 20 chalets and camping for the group. Plse contact me if you want a chalet.
MAUN
- Island Safari Lodge, http://www.islandsafarilodge.co... http://www.islmaun.com. gm@africansecrets.net. Book for yourself.

Closer to the time I will submit a bulk clearance request to the BCAA....if required.

If you are interested please call Paul Mulder (081 for too 7 ate ate too sex) or Mervyn Reynolds (073 7 sex tree 7 five one ou).

For a list of comitted pilots please see the last page of this thread.

5.0 Cross border requirements when driving and towing a trike on a trailer into Botswana:

Visas -
Visas are not required by SA passport holders. At the border make sure you fill in your duration of stay correctly. That determins the duration of your temporary visa, stamped into your passport.

Food restrictions:
No fresh red meat or fresh fruit of any kind is permitted accross the border. Red meat can be transported from south to north and from east to west but not back again. All vetenary check points will confiscate these items in a north to south or west to east direction. Excelent meat, at 2/3 of the SA price, and fruit is available at supermarkets. The supermarkets are like in RSA.

Health Requirements & Compulsory Vaccinations - None for RSA citizens.

Precautions - Malaria risk. Propholactics - Speak to your doctor about which ones you can take for the area as a pilot. Also, use mosquito nets and spray on, Peacefull Sleep, or Tabard, or Citronella oil.

Documents Required:
•Valid passport of the driver, valid for at least 6 months after your date of return.
•Certified copy of vehicle and trailer registration papers in the name of the driver. Take the originals with you in a safe place.
•Letter of authority from the registered owner if the vehicle is not owned by the driver
•If vehicle is still being financed, carry a letter of authority from the bank (must include dates of travel) together with the vehicle license papers.
•ZA Sticker
•International Driving Permit: - I don't take one and never had a problem showing my RSA licence. They use the same codes as in RSA (A, EB etc)

Currency - Pula (BWP) = R 1.30

Most garages take MasterCard and Visa (no petrol cards accepted). ATM's accept either MasterCard or Visa. Barclays ATM's accept MasterCard. Best is to go into the bank to draw money, then you are not restricted to the ATM limit necesitating multiple withdrawls, each with a commission. Lodges in towns take credit card but out of town, do not. Senyati & Makgadikagadi, do not.

Aircraft -
- Your current NPL
- ATF certificate
- Certificate of Registration
- flight folio
- Radio station licence, the ICASA one
- BCAA Clearance number.
- 3rd party insurance - recommended.

Make sure you declare your microlight to RSA customs at the border. They must give you an official SARS indemnity form identifying it as the type and registration as per the C of R. Any evidence you have that it is RSA registered is advantageous. (correct, Mark Fincham!). When you return they can be very sticky.

The above may sound like quite a shlep, but most items are only required on request. (^^)

At the border you will only be required to fill in an imegration form, get your passport stamped and pay your road tax (P170 for car, plus P70 for trailer). Export declarations are optional, but DO it.
You can also visit http://www.4x4community.co.za, Botswana for more hints and tips. (!!)

6.0 WhatsApp group

There is a WhatsApp group where all detailed commiunication takes place. Let me know if you want to join.
Last edited by mulderpm on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 am, edited 20 times in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Tom Tom
Looking at the sky

Re: BOTSWANA fly-away 23 to 31 May 2015

Postby Tom Tom » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Wat se soort vliegtuie mag als deelneem aan die fly away? Hoop ek het my licence teen daardie tyd ek sal dit graag wil mee maak. Is tans op op training by Nico op Potties. Leer om trikes te vlieg. :-)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Postby mulderpm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 am

Enige Microlighte/Fixed/Rotor of iets anders. Novices of Fundies. Die spoed maak nie eintelik saak nie want almal vlieg nie binne sig afstand van mekaar nie anyway. Radio contac is al wat nodig is.

Posting edited to include costs....

COSTS

Ok, the dreaded part....costs.

Below are the options at each of the accomodation locations. According to your requirements you can choose what you want to book and obviously the costs will vary accordingly.

I have also included per example, the costs for trailering to Kasane and then back from Maun, flying the inbetween legs with the ground support following by road.

Chobe Safari Lodge.

This lodge is centrally situated and boarders Kasane on the east and Chobe on the west.
Resize of Chobe Safari Lodge.jpg
Resize of Chobe Safari Lodge 2.jpg
Senyati Safari Camp.

They are situated 10 k's to the east of Kasane. You are away from town and in the wild. (My choice vhpy )
July 2014 - June 2015 Rates.png
Makgadikgadi Lodge

Camping = P 180 per person, per night
Chalet with breakfast = P 610 (sleeps 2 + )
Alacart meal = P120 per person

Tourism/bed levey = P10 per person, per night...NB. This is applicable to all these bookings.

Island Safari Lodge.
Camping = $ 10 per person, per night
Double Chalet = $ 115
Single Chalet = $ 75

Example budget below.
Resize of Example budget.jpg
Last edited by mulderpm on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Paul
Any chance of changing the dates to 25 April to 3rd of May. There are 2 public holidays in that week (27 April and 1 May) so we only have to take 3 days leave. Some of us have to work to be able to afford our flying. :lol:
The flying weather that time of year is excellent. This is the time that we normally do our Margate trip but would love to do the Botswana trip.
If you can, I am sure I will get a couple of Kroon guys to join. Myself with the Skyjeep, Dawie with the Savannah and Deon with his Savannah will be in.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 pm

The Bostwana Airshow oganisers are planning to host their airshow early May next year. A good jol and might get you the NTCA permit waiver of R1 200.00.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm

The dates came from Mervyn. I will discuss with him this weekend.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm

What about the Botswana transponder issue? (**)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 pm

nicow wrote:What about the Botswana transponder issue? (**)

Hi Nico, there has been many non transponder equipped trips to where we will be going. If we want to land at Maun they may have an issue, but we will work around that. However, when flying in any controlled airspace, make absolutely 100% sure your your radio works perfectly on their frequencies, at the lower frequencies, or else they will not allow you to take off. ## ##

Nico, Loss die bobejaan.

Kom jy saam?
Last edited by mulderpm on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:44 pm

mulderpm wrote:
nicow wrote:What about the Botswana transponder issue? (**)

Hi Nico, there has been many non transponder equipped trips to where we will be going. If we want to land at Maun they may have an issue, but we will work around that. However, when flying in any controlled airspace, make absolutely 100% sure your your radio works perfectly on their frequencies, at the lower frequencies.

Nico, Loss die bobejaan.

Kom jy saam?
Ek het al daar gevlieg...baie lekker,met baie landingsplek op die panne(as dit droog is).Sal wil saamgaan.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Frank Smallwood
Ready for the first flight

Postby Frank Smallwood » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Paul,
Sounds like a great trip. Is the plan to fly or trailer trikes in? Maun is a long way to fly at 75km/h! I will start to make plans so I can go.
Cheers Frank
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 am

Hi Frank, I think there will be both options. Some will fly all the way and others will trailer. I would also prefer to trailer to the first stop and fly from there. This creates additional logistics for the team but I am sure they can be handeled.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Mark Hudson
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Mark Hudson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Paul

Would you be happy if a few of the Ballito boy's joined you guys on this trip :?:

Mark
Ballito
Foxbat A22
ZU-MRH
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Guys

I can highly recommend the Botswana air show. We had a blast this year and already looking forward to the next one. (^^)
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:51 am

Everyone is welcome. (^^) Fly in, trailer in, drive in, it does not matter, just join us. At the moment the plan is to start the trip in Botswana at Sau Pan in the Makgadikgadi, possibly staying at Makgadikgadi Lodge. There is a tar runway at the Salt mine and some hangars? This is on the eastern edge of the biggest pan and right next to the pan. From there we can explore the pans and camp out on the pans. From there we could fly up to Maun as the next base and explore the delta and camp out in the delta (lodges/makoro trips/game drives/suppers in the bush. Then we could fly to Elepant Sands as the next base and explore the Chobe, Kasane Forest reserve and Lesumo valley.

It is going to be a trip of a life time. I can't wait. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
ME 109
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby ME 109 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:45 am

I am interested, for sure. Work permitting, I'll be there.
Andries Kruger
ZU-CSZ Aquilla 582 (Bumble bee)