Invitation to Car Racing event on Zeerust Airfield

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Invitation to Car Racing event on Zeerust Airfield

Postby thys bas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Not quite an aviation event, but here goes, (Thanks Dark Helmet) vhpy

An open invitation to Pilots to attend the next car racing event on the Zeerust Airfield was received today. The race will take place on Sunday 26 February 2012. Preparations might start on Saturday afternoon 25 Feb, but most will be done early Sunday morning. A NOTAM will be issued this week and the airfield will be closed to air traffic on the Sunday.

This invitation by the Zeerust Motor Club is as a result of a posting on AVCOM in Oct 2011 after tyres were rolled onto the runway by some unknown person. The local Motorsport Club were not guilty of this crime, it could have been anybody, since the runway is open to the public and the airfield has no access control. Please refer to the posting:

Quote from Acadamy and Safety (AVCOM):

"Dangerous practise at FAZR (Zeerust)
by ZuluBen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am
To each his own..

But desperate times calls for strange coalition partnerships.

Let us keep those faraway strips going, else, as somebody else pointed out, it simply becomes a convenient growth point for a squatter camp."

End of quote.

There are many guest houses in town and on game farms, and if you need to stay over, please indicate. The telephone numbers of some are available and we could e-mail it to you.

Since the airfield will be closed on Sunday, you will have to fly in on Saturday and sleep over for the race. They expect to finish the racing by about 15H00 B on Sunday, but if you need to depart before, they are willing to stop the race and wave you goodbye. You might not have the whole length of the runway available for take off, so do not come in your Lear Jet and expect to leave early

The orginisers might be able to arrange Avgas and Mogas. Please arrange beforehand. Some of the cars run on Avgas but they must know how many aircraft will need some, to arrange additional quantities. Mmabatho airport is just a short hop from Zeerust, and fuel might be available there.

Parking for aircraft will be on the main apron. The orginisers would like to know beforehand more or less how many aircraft plan to attend so they can reserve and close with danger tape, an area which is not open to the visiting public to keep hands and noses off our aircraft.

Visit Airportiki on AVCOM to view FAZR Zeerust.

Can we have a show of hands here on Microlighters of pilots who might attend this non-aviation event please. vhpy
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Invitation to Car Racing event on Zeerust Airfield

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Baas Thys, wat se weer het jy bestel vir die 26ste :?:
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Bestelling is 8/8 ligte wolkies op 20000' en 2knts wind uit die noorde vir die hele naweek, temp 22 grade hele dag. :shock:

Aflewering van bestelling is 'n misterie :lol: :lol:
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Hoe werk die weer in die Marico regtig in Feb?

Moontlike temps van 35 grade C met warm weste wind uit die Kalahari wat die windkous se paal krom maak, MAW 90 grade dwarswind oor die aanloopbaan. Groot CB's wat 'n rooibok kan insuig mag in die middag daar verbykom. Donnerbuie plek-plek en 'elders' in Feb. :wink:

Maar daar is meestal heerlike vliegdae met weer soos in die bestelling beskryf. Ons hoop vir so 'n naweek. Hou duimvas.
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Something to keep in mind regarding the weather.

The La Nina effect is still in place which means the the summer rainfall area moves more to the west and later in the season as well. Rainfall might also be higher than average.

This might influence our flying to Zeerust, so be careful please.

Not only then, but always.

PS. Look at the world sat pictures of Prof Kobus Botha and see how the cyclone/tropical storm next to Mozambique is drawing in moisture from the South Pole as well as from central Africa north of the equator. It sucks! :shock:
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I drove up and down the Zeerust runway yesterday. There is about 200m of both ends of the runway with a bit of grass growing from small cracks in the tar. The rest, about 1500m, is still in very good shape. vhpy The Town Council cut the tall grass around the hangars and the gravel shoulders of the runway, about 5m each side, has uncut grass but ok and not too long. (I drove there with my car). :shock:

If you plan to fly to Zeerust, please remember that there is no electrical power or running water. On the racing weekend, the Motorsport Club will have bottled drinking water available.
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

By today 22 Feb 2012 16H00, no NOTAM has been issued to make the event legal.

The Municipality as caretaker and responsible person for the airfield, has been notified in writing by the Car Club weeks ago and requested to contact SACAA to have the NOTAM issued. I do not know what the problem is (if there is a problem) or how long before an event such a NOTAM has to be issued, perhaps someone in the know can enlighten please.

If we want to fly in on Saturday I want to see the notam by Friday afternoon at the latest. The racing day is planned Sunday.

No NOTAM, no flying, simple as that!
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

My previous post has reference.

No NOTAM was issued by this afternoon. :shock: No flying to Zeerust then.

Pitty, the weather is going to be good and it could have been such a good opportunity to build a good relationship. :cry:

Perhaps we must try again next time.