Hartbeespoort FAD71

Post your intended route just in case
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Hartbeespoort FAD71

Postby BudCyber » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:10 am

Hi

I would like to do a scenic flight from Wonderboom to Hartebespoort dam, but don't know the area well enough what to watch out for.

Flying a YAK at 220km/110knts approx.

I know about the Lanseria and General flying areas of Magaliesberg, etc.
I don't forsee that to be of a concern. Normal altitude and radio calls should take care off that.

What concerns me is the paraglider area especially.

FAD71 : HARTEBEESPOORT DANGER AREA
GND - 7600FT AMSL

Also of concern on the northern side of the ridge is Aviators paradise, Kroon airfield, Bundu Inn etc. with all the microlights.

What do you do when flying in those areas? What are the chances of paragliders flying outside of the FAD71?
How high do the paragliders fly?
And Microlighters?

Any specifics I should be aware of not published in the Airfields Directory 5th Edition for these airfields mentioned above?
It doesn't mention much on Kroon.
What is the Kroon Circuit for example?

Is it save to fly between Lanseria airspace and the FAD71 sort of above Xanadu?

Other airfields to watch out for?

Advise will be much appreciated.
PeterGrant
Signed up at flight school

Re: Hartbeespoort FAD71

Postby PeterGrant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi,
While I'm waiting for a meeting to start, some info that I know of:
What do you do when flying in those areas? - Airspace is busy, specially on week-ends so use lots of radio calls
What are the chances of paragliders flying outside of the FAD71? - Seen paragliders everywhere
How high do the paragliders fly? - Seen them close to the TMA they do not always have radios!
And Microlighters? - Trikes and fixed wing fly the same VFR airspaces and rules - radio work normally very good

Any specifics - Lots of vultures along the Magaliesburg ridge:
This AIC replaces AIC 20·1 dated 93-11-15.
Λ1. Cape Griffons are found in three localities in the Magaliesberg. Scheerpoort, which is situated above the Magalies River inflow to Hartebeespoort Dam, houses the largest colony numbering about 500 Cape Griffons, the Roberts' Farm colony at Olifantspoort near Rustenburg has more than 120 birds. At the Nooitgedacht colony, which lies between Scheerpoort and Roberts' Farm, there are now more than 200 mature Cape Griffons and the number is increasing at a steady rate. Cape Griffons are among those species in South Africa that are regarded as vulner-able, and this means that any negative influence on the species could give a serious blow to the total population and endanger the survival of the species. The birds are sensitive to disturbance at the nests and sleeping places and will often, after serious human disturbance, not use the nests again. This means that vultures that abandon their nests must contend for other nesting places in the colony and this creates stress within the colony. Factors that cause disturbance are, among others, direct human disturbance, heavy calibre rifle fire, explosions, nearby air traffic, stone throwing by people passing near the colony, vehicle noises in the valley below the colonies, and so on.

Is it save to fly between Lanseria airspace and the FAD71 sort of above Xanadu? - Vultures and heavy traffic
Hope it helps
BudCyber
Found a flight school

Re: Hartbeespoort FAD71

Postby BudCyber » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Peter, I appreciate it. Some new informational info especially on the Vultures !