Invitation to consider the need for type-approval of radios

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
Peter.L.
Ready for the first flight

Invitation to consider the need for type-approval of radios

Postby Peter.L. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Good Day,

I have been quiet for a long period of time, having retired from Icasa in March 2013, but have not totally abandoned my interest in aviation. What I have done is forgotten which section of the forum I used to post info regarding radio licensing so have chosen the "Legal section".

A new Government Gazette, number 40309 dated 28 September 2016, has just been published by ICASA asking for input from the marketplace and other interested parties on the possible exemption of radio apparatus, including aeronautical equipment, from the requirement for expensive type-approval prior to the apparatus being made available to the local market.

The Government Gazette, number 40309 dated 29 September 2016, included the following:

"The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (“the Authority”)
hereby invites, in terms of section 4B (2) of the Independent Communications
Authority of South Africa Act, Act No. 13 of 2000 (“ICASA Act”), interested
persons to submit their written representations on the Discussion Document
on exemption of equipment from Type Approval."

This could potentially affect aeronautical, maritime and amateur radio equipment (with a likely increase in landed cost to be passed on to the consumer - you!) which are manufactured to and comply with published international standards and have mostly already been type-approved by competent authorities overseas. It is well worth obtaining a copy of the gazette from http://www.opengazettes.org.za and reading through it with a view to a representation by the aviation industry in favour of eliminating the type-approval requirement for aeronautical apparatus.

Regards,

Peter
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Invitation to consider the need for type-approval of rad

Postby Rudix » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 pm

This is an interesting situation Peter. I know from the radio amateur side the rules have long been disputed and never applied. It was a bit of a joke anyway since radio amateurs are allowed, even encouraged, to build their own equipment so the whole "Needs to be type-certified" thing is a joke!

I know the SARL are actively engaging with ICASA to wave the whole type certified thing.

I am not sure if waving it for aeronautical radios would be a great idea though, pilots might not have the experience to select decent equipment from all the junk out there so there might be a negative impact on our communication and thus safety.

Just my 2 Zim c's worth :wink:
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)