Buying 2nd Hand Trike

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
Nattyfish
Signed up at flight school

Buying 2nd Hand Trike

Postby Nattyfish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi
I intend buying a 2nd hand Trike . This will be my first so I have no idea what to look for and what the procedure is , also the legalities ie Change of ownership , proof of ownership ect .
Any help or advice will be appreciated .
Thanks
From The Pen of:
Natty"Flying"Fish
"Positive Thoughts Generate Positive Results"
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Buying 2nd Hand Trike

Postby nicow » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Welcome to our forum (^^) (^^) (!!)
Before you buy,visit a flight school,and fly in a few different trikes.Let the flight school then help you to buy a trike.
Last edited by nicow on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Where do you fly from/stay?
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Nattyfish

Postby Nattyfish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi ,
Firstly thanks for the response
Im From Cape town , want to do my License down that way , but for now im staying in Potchefstroom till end of August .
Iv been looking around and iv seen a 580 Trike for a good price so was considering getting it as im not sure when I would get a bargain again :)
I know im putting the horse before the cart but , who can resist a good deal . lol
From The Pen of:
Natty"Flying"Fish
Nattyfish

Postby Nattyfish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Ps
At the moment all my flying is on a sim or as passenger of Mango :)
Using Microsoft X Flight sim :)

Also as a matter of interest it would be good to know what is necessary when trading in Trikes or ???
Once again Thanks
From The Pen of:
Natty"Flying"Fish
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rcbgreen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Could not agree with Nicow more. Trikes that appear as great bargains normally have something to hide and repairs can make a cheap trike expensive by the time you get the ATF. I bought my first trike last year and my instructor taught me so much about what to look out for, I basically bought the trike I currently have on his advice and have not regretted it.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby klein » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:04 pm

If I would ever again, buy another trike (2 stroke), I would insist on removing exhaust manifold,
To inspect pistons for blow by, and loose rings. (I would replace gaskets on my own cost)

Just my 2 cents. ($$)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
Bullit

Postby Bullit » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:01 pm

I would advise to join a flight school first and start your training. Talk to your instructor, and also to other trike pilots. That will give you an idea of which trikes are most liked, and why!

Legalities and change of ownership is, in my opinion, a fairly simple exercise provided all logbooks, documentation etc. are in order. Again, talk to your instructor. He is best to help you check out an aircraft and documents before purchase.

What trike to buy is largely a function of budget, and then personal preference. The higher the budget, the more options you will have. If you can afford it, go buy a new or low time trike that is a fly away plane - problem solved.

However, if you have to count your cents twice for toys, like many people have to do today - bargains/cheaper trikes are NOT NECESSARILY a bad buy. There are good low priced trikes available - you just have to wait for them sometimes.

I am rebuilding a trike at present, which cost me very little money BUT I have the space, tools and equipment, time and ability to do it myself. I decided to go this route because I will end up with a plane that I know in and out, and be certain of what I have. I also have a great instructor and AP who is so helpful and have a wealth of advice, experience and knowledge that he is most willing to share. It is more work that you would think though, and means I am not flying until it is done (6 hours in my logbook so far), but it will get done and is a hugely satisfying thing to do. Not everyone can/want to go this route.

GET A GOOD INSTRUCTOR/AP TO HELP YOU MAKE A GOOD CHOICE, which ever route you decide to take.

And enjoy every moment when you start flying - we are very privileged!!