Unlicenced Pilots

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
mwjimmel
Signed up at flight school

Unlicenced Pilots

Postby mwjimmel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Heard that some older microlight pilots fly without licences.
Whats the worst that can happen?
ZU DZG
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Unlicenced Pilots

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Bragging rights till they make k@k and then their licence will be taken way. vhpy

The fun and expenses will start when someone get's hurt .
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 pm

#1 no insurance, not even 3rd party, so if you stuff up, you or your estate is going to pay...

#2 minimum R10,000 fine if caught

#3 without recurrent testing, you will probably pick up bad habits that will eventually kill you
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:45 am

Tumbleweed how can you have a license that doesn't exist taken away?
RV9
DISH
BUKS VAN NIEKERK
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby BUKS VAN NIEKERK » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

for whats it worth, my 2 cent vhpy

listen to the radio procedures at a unmanned airfield
1) turning for a long final approach to the ranway (**)
2)coming in for a landing on sand ranway :oops:

eish man, heard these 2 not to long ago,
where is the aviation "speedcop" show me the licence
Regte manne skiet nie renosters om n horing te kry
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 am

justin.schoeman wrote:#1 no insurance, not even 3rd party, so if you stuff up, you or your estate is going to pay...

#2 minimum R10,000 fine if caught

#3 without recurrent testing, you will probably pick up bad habits that will eventually kill you
Could not agree more with no 3.
mwjimmel wrote:Heard that some older microlight pilots fly without licences.
Whats the worst that can happen?
I have no doubt there are quite a few but I do not think there are many who fly without any prior training whatsoever? Most of these pilots will be ones who for whatever reason have allowed their licenses to lapse and have simply just carried on.

Other than a fine, you could also face criminal charges in terms of the Aviation Act....if someone is injured or dies, this may be Culpible homicide! Jail time is a real possibility.

It is also a big "up yours" to the 1000's of legal pilots who spend a lot of time and money ensuring that they are compliant. I do not like some of the regs and beurocracy anymore than most of you...but it applies to everyone nonetheless.
What makes these guys so special that they can just ignore the rules? Flying is a priveledge, not a right.
Not much sympathy from my side I'm afraid.... :roll:

These renegades generally fall on their own sword eventually. :wink: I pity their PAX...who usually do not know the facts. :(
Fox2
Thinking of flying

Postby Fox2 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm

How do you go about reporting someone without a licence or report dangerous habits without getting pointed out as a spy?
I have seen and know of several people who do not adhere to the laws, but still want to keep flying safely!
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Fox2 wrote:How do you go about reporting someone without a licence or report dangerous habits without getting pointed out as a spy?
I have seen and know of several people who do not adhere to the laws, but still want to keep flying safely!
It is always better to sort this out in-house. Chat to the guy yourself, or ask the Safety Officer of the club/airfield to have a chat with him. If you have no other option then:

http://www.caa.co.za/Public/Safety%20Co ... hazard.htm
Africaflyer
Slow starter

Postby Africaflyer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Okay, this is my 2 cents worth...

I someone is operating in the public transport category, then I am going to report him
If he is flying his airplane around unlicensed, I am not going to give a rodents posterior, anymore than if some guy passes me on the highway with no license.
If he is flying in a dangerous manner in a single seater not my business- let Darwin sort that out. If it is a two seater then I would report him simply to protect someone who might not ask the correct questions.

But, and this is a huge but....I am familiar with at least one accident where the relevant pilot license could not be found after the crash and the pilot's insurance declined to pay out the insurance policies- there lies the risk.
RV12
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby RV12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 am

Does flying with an expired medical invalidate your license ?
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:53 am

RV12 wrote:Does flying with an expired medical invalidate your license ?
Hi RV,

No it does not invalidate your licence, your licence is valid up till the expiry date regardless of your medical...BUT.... You cannot exercise the priveledges (flying ) of that licence without a valid Medical.

At no point does your licence become invalid just because your Medical has lapsed... :)

It's like Driving....just because your cars licence disk has expired doesn't mean your drivers licence in now invalid...but you need both to be legal.