Flying foreign registered aircraft in SA

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
ozzieflyer
Heard about flying

Flying foreign registered aircraft in SA

Postby ozzieflyer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 pm

I am shipping my microlight (registered in France) to Africa, in order to visit Namibia, Botswana and South Africa.

I understand I will need overflight permits to fly through these countries, but need to know how long these permits will be valid for. My intention is to spend 3 to 4 months flying in Africa, then hangar the aircraft there (probably South Africa), and return the following year for a similar period.

I was hoping to keep the aircraft on the French Register to avoid the re-registration process. Can anyone tell me if this will be possible. For what it is worth, England and France allow foreign registered aircraft from ICAO countries to stay on their soil indefinitely. I'm hoping that the same will apply in SA, but would appreciate feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Flying foreign registered aircraft in SA

Postby KFA » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Best to call RAASA. www.raasa.co.za Willem or Pierre should be able to assist. I would think SARS will be involved too as normally temp imports are only valid for 30 days but not sure what the regs say regarding aircraft. I know there are a lot of N registered aircraft flying around here. Also check out the CAA website. www.caa.co.za
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
ozzieflyer
Heard about flying

Postby ozzieflyer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Sorry, I have been away.

Thanks for that. I have contacted the CAA, but they seem to be sticking to requiring a clearance number for each flight, which, as you know is not what microlights are about.

Will contact the guys you mention above though. I am planning to base myself for a couple of weeks at a friend's game lodge at his private strip, and to only do local flying from there. I am hoping that I may be granted a block clearance for that time period that will cover operations not above 3000' AGL and 40 or 50 NM radius. I just want some fun sightseeing and am not really interested in going any great distance.

Thanks
ozzieflyer
Heard about flying

Postby ozzieflyer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Just for information, I have received clarification from SA CAA that since I intend to trailer the aircraft around to private strips and fly locally, I do not need to apply for overflight permits at all. That's great news!

However, that begs the question as to whether I will be charged import duties when crossing a road border station. Anyone with any ideas on that? I do of course intend to leave SA with the aircraft so I do not want to import it, but the customs might take a different view.
PieterKotze
Ready for the first flight

Postby PieterKotze » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 am

Goodmorning,

SARS will require the following:

1. Use a reputable Import/Export Agent.
2. Provide them with a letter explaining what you will be doing, include the value of the ML. Rather underestimate than overestimate the value;
3. Tell them how long you will be here. Add a bit just in case you overstay your visit.
4. You will need to export the MC also from Aus as a temp export. Your agent in SA will then do a SAD500 import document but state that it will be a temp and attach all the supporting docs.
5. When you arrive you clear the MC with the docs and no VAT will be payable, clearing fees will be minimal normally about R 500.
6. You will then do the reverse on leaving, exporting again ex SA and importing in Aus, again clearing fees will be payable.
7. Thats in SA, hope the Aus system allows for temp export else you will be f*&ked! And VAT and duties will be payable.

Pieter
Air Pollution
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Considering all the costs involved, it will probably be cheaper to buy a second plane in SA, do the foreign validation, fly to your hearts content and then sell the plane when done. You will most probably recover all your money again.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success