Ferrying aircraft

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Ferrying aircraft

Postby Morph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 am

There is a discussion here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11790 about an aircraft being ferried after it was sold and having an incident. It then appears that the ATF was no longer valid and the aircraft thus could not be legally flown

Now my questions

1. When you purchase an aircraft, at what point does the previous ATF expire, i.e. the moment the CAR47A is signed by the owners, or the moment the documentation is delivered to CAA etc.
2. Is there a legal process that allows for an aircraft to be ferried on a temporary ATF during the change of ownership
3. Who can do the ferrying, and can they carry a pax
4. In the case of a new aircraft that is issued a Proving Flight authority which limits the aircraft to a radius of 60nm from the home airfield for 40 hours. If the home airfield is going to be Morning Star, but the aircraft is built by Boet in Loeriesfontein, how can this aircraft be legally ferried?
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Ferrying aircraft

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:40 am

my 2c for what it worth. (I have just done similar)
Morph wrote: 1. When you purchase an aircraft, at what point does the previous ATF expire, i.e. the moment the CAR47A is signed by the owners, or the moment the documentation is delivered to CAA etc.
When CAR47A is lodged with CAA the cert of ownership changes at the reg department. At this point the ATF is no longer valid. ATF and Cert of ownership MUST have same details on them for the ATF to be valid, so regarless of when transaction takes place (money changes hands) the ATF "expires" when the CAR47A is handed in. In theory it can be handed in with a new ATF inspection and a new ATF issued immediately, but practically it usually takes a couple days.
Morph wrote: 2. Is there a legal process that allows for an aircraft to be ferried on a temporary ATF during the change of ownership

In past I have ferried on the existing ATF. The change of ownership can be done once plane is delivered. (Ie pay, sign CAR47A then deliver then submit CAR47A to CAA) Why over complicate matters. Ferry on new ATF or Old ATF. Plan the timing of the change of ownership.
Morph wrote: 3. Who can do the ferrying, and can they carry a pax
Ferry would be just like any other flight, so Pax should not be a problem (Don;t know about special ferry permit, but if something like that exists I would assume that it would be "essential" crew only)
Morph wrote: 4. In the case of a new aircraft that is issued a Proving Flight authority which limits the aircraft to a radius of 60nm from the home airfield for 40 hours. If the home airfield is going to be Morning Star, but the aircraft is built by Boet in Loeriesfontein, how can this aircraft be legally ferried?
Initial proving flight ATF will be issued for Loerries. Then once a couple hrs done and AP (Boet) is happy, apply for a "displaced" (for lack of a better term) proving flight ATF. The ATF states that the plane will be ferried from Loerries to Morning Star and thereafter it is limited to 60nm around MS. Dead Simple and CAA are very accommodating with this type of thing has been my experience....

Boet got special permission to go to Vedendal and RAASA organised me special to take it to EAA (just could not get organised in time). I then got permit to ferry Loerries to FAVB and balance of the proving hrs were flown at FAVB on the Animal....

My personal opinion is that in the discussion above, they simply got the timing of the admin wrong... Cover it in the dead of sale that the plane will be delivered to new owner on old ATF OR a new atf will be issued before the ferry flight. Simple....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died