Challenger Question - AIRCRAFT SOLD

Microlights, gyro's and other aircraft for sale
johnythelaw
First solo

Challenger Question - AIRCRAFT SOLD

Postby johnythelaw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I have advertised a Challenger short wing with total time engine and air-frame
with around 60 hours total time.
The engine is a 503 and fly very well at the coast.
Now my Question is.
If i swap the 503 with an 582 ( around 170 hours total time) will more upcountry guys
be interested.
The 582 is in another aircraft and runs beautiful.
Please give me an indication of interest . I do not want to do the swap unnecessary.
regards
Johan de Wet
Last edited by johnythelaw on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Challenger Question

Postby vernon11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:59 pm

There are a couple of Challengers flying with the 503 up there. No one seems to feel they are not all that good. so to answer your question. I don't think so.
cheers Vernon.
Sarel F Marais
Ready for the first flight

Postby Sarel F Marais » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Die standaard vlerk Challenger met n 503 is aanvaarbaar met 2 op hier bo, maar ek dink dit mag dalk n probleem wees op n warm dag met die short wing. Ek dink dit sal help met die verkoop as jy die 582 gebruik.
JDC
Found a flight school

Postby JDC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 pm

503 is good.

Sarel how is your chally doing
"See you in my office .... at 5000ft"
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 pm

I bought a 503 clipped wing and couldnt even ever fly in it. Wouldnt takeoff 2up 70kgs upfront and 95kgs pax with 25liters fuel. I threw everything I could at getting it in the air. New props, aeronautical enengineers, cog recalculations, emails and calls with the manufacturers in usa, in the end they all concluded that the 503 CW does not like flying 2up here. The guy that eventually crashed it even said it didn't fly very well. I am hoping the rebuild will yield some answers. Whenever I hear of a 503 cw flying 2up I call my then instructor and advisor and he says he would like to see it first. Sorry guys might not be what you wanted to hear, but its my honest experience.
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 am

Had a Challie CW with 582 and it works 100%, 503 a definite no-no! Too hot and too high.

Maybe with the long wing...

My 2 cents.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Sarel F Marais

Postby Sarel F Marais » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am

I enjoy me chally, Wheather no nice at this stage, thanks JDC.
johnythelaw
First solo

Postby johnythelaw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for remarks.
At Swakopmund we fly the chally 95 kg front - 80 kg pax and full 10 gal fuel.
Take of in about 50 - 60 meters and good short field landing.
The 503 has more than enough power at sea level and cruise at 5800 rpm is between 75 to 85 mph
depending on wind.
My son left for working over the big waters for real money and not monopoly rand and Nam dollars.
Now i am stuck with 2 flying aircraft and a VP only short of an engine otherwise complete.
Think what i will do is swap the 503 with the 582 in the Challenger and my Baby mig is a single seater
so 50 hp is more than enough for bit of fun along the coast.
My problem is hangar space that is why i would sell the chally and then i can finish and assemble the Volksplane.
Unfortunately both left will be single seaters but i do fly 4 and 6 seat aircraft also.
As for the Challengers it is very nice aircraft to fly - well designed and no strange "bites" like dropping a wing and going into
a spin at stall etc. All flying is straight forward and safe- that is the most important.
Who ever visit Swakopmund give me a call and lets go sight seeing ( for free )
Safe flying
Johan de Wet
00264-81 124 8283
juangerrits

Postby juangerrits » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Johan, I went solo onZU- AFF a Challenger 2 cw and I am totally convinced that this is the best LSA on the market to fly. If I had the funds I would buy your Challie without thinking twice. This is my nr1 bucketlist ever.
Enjoy her,
Juan (-) (-) (-)
Safe Flying
Juan
johnythelaw
First solo

Postby johnythelaw » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks Juan

I did half an hour on Tuesday afternoon and tonight just before sunset i will sail low level along the
beach not very high above the waves with wheels touching when the last rays visible.
She fly so nice - going to keep her as is without engine changes and i am not going to drop the price
another cent.
Got some extra hangar space to assemble my volksplane - next door to my hangar.
Tomorrow i will finish the baby migs inspection and service and then go fly her.
Geniet jou naweek

Johan
Swakopmund
Luan
First solo

Postby Luan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:25 pm

@Juan
Its awesome to hear such good things about the type. Could you satisfy my scientific brain and elaborate on the weight, altitude, performance and engine type on ZU-AFF?
juangerrits

Postby juangerrits » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

ZU-AFF had a 582 on board with a Piet prop. I cannot remember the pitch but it was a 72 inch.
She could load 230kg plus 25l petrol easy. With that weight she used about 130 m to take off and the gradually climb out at 400fpm. good enough for what I wanted.
Th handling characteristic was awesome to say the least and I always felt safe in her. Nice aerie!! She burned 15l ph with load and 11-13l ph one up. I weigh 95kg but almost never flew alone because it was so nice to take passengers for a free flip either for pleasure or to demonstrate the aircraft's ability.
Maybe I need to work harder to buy yours :oops:
Take care

Juan
Safe Flying
Juan
Rynovdz
Signed up at flight school

Postby Rynovdz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Luan,

I can gladly second Juan's statement, The 582 on a clipped wing is the way to go anywhere in SA, My father used to own ZU-AFF and I did solo on it, I flew it in babsfontein where the weather was nice and cool and we even brought AFF to Ellisras where we reach temperatures of 45 degrees and still it operated like a champ, unfortunately I never had the privilage to fly any other chally because no one here has same, I only have AFF on my licence and logged about 400+ hours on it, but to get back to the point here, Rotax 582 is definitely a must have on a clipped wing.
Rynovdz
Signed up at flight school

Postby Rynovdz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm

P.S, does anyone know who the owner of ZU-AFF is now?
salem
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby salem » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 am

I fly ZU-ATM at Morningstar. I'ts the best aerie I've ever flown. Long wing with a 582. One-up or with pax it has a beatiful response. No funny stuff like dropping a wing on stall, etc. I just have to think wher I want to go and the challie takes me there as if it can read my mind vhpy I would recommend a Challie to anyone.
ZS-VFZ