Marlin

Peregrine

Bluefin
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: New Airplane Seen

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:30 am

aircraftworx wrote:The prototype was developed and built in Germiston, right next to Aviation Engines and Accessories (Rotax dealership).
So its proudly SA, does it contains also a high portion of local components? :?:
aircraftworx
Signed up at flight school

Postby aircraftworx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:08 am

We tried our best to make it as "Proudly South African" as we can - but realistically, most of it is still imported material.

You simply do not get the appropriate quality of aluminium (6061-T6), or fasteners (AN) manufactured locally. The ballistic parachute (GRS) is also imported.

We did put in two Enigma instruments from MGL Avionics in the Western Cape.
Attachments
untitled4.JPG
untitled4.JPG (56.46 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
No wonder she flies like a dream, she's built with one!
vliegvark
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby vliegvark » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:39 am

Must say she looks super cool and I think Kestrel is a good name but I am sure you'll get a good name
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:21 am

aircraftworx wrote:We tried our best to make it as "Proudly South African" as we can - but realistically, most of it is still imported material.

You simply do not get the appropriate quality of aluminium (6061-T6), or fasteners (AN) manufactured locally. The ballistic parachute (GRS) is also imported.

We did put in two Enigma instruments from MGL Avionics in the Western Cape.
A optifuel is an other good proudly SA product I believe if you read the comments on this board (-) or is it already in :?:
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:24 pm

Lovely looking plane!!

Truely hope you guys have taken the larger SA guys into consideration in your design. (alas from the pics it looks like a 6'7" bloke like myself will battle to fit :( )

Get your design sorted out, proven and certfied and then perhaps you guys can consider latching onto Vliegvark and Oupa G for the alternative to the Rattex powerplant? In all fairness Rotax is a very good option - but pricing is quickly making it unfeasable for recreational flyers IMHO. We need cost effective alternatives and as such i would recommend that local kit makers at least consider designing for alternatives such as Jabiru, BMW and others.

Keep the info coming please! :wink:
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 pm

PRICE PRICE PRICE........ GIMME GIMME GIMME... (Not that I can afford 1 though :oops: :oops: :oops: )
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:13 pm

Sorry to keep you waiting, RV4ker, we're working on getting the price finalised ASAP (afterall, performance only matters if you know you can afford it!). One thing I can say is that kits will be sold in stages, allowing the builder to get on with the job while saving for the next sub-kit.

The cabin size was designed around myself (6'4", 100kg), with the idea of LOOONG cross-country comfort a priority. Shoulder width of the cabin is 44.2" (1122mm).

Regarding the powerplant options - you can't exactly expect Mike Blyth (whos project this is) to offer it with a compettitor's powerplant...This project and the Rotax engine have been joined at the hip since the word go, but being a kit, the builder is free to do his own thing! Once we have tested the upper end of performance, I will work out the smallest herd of ponies required.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Factory built I guess 650.000 depending on the power plant and avionics one make a bet? puff
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Close, maybe a little pessimistic... :wink:
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:01 pm

aircraftworx wrote:Sorry to keep you waiting, RV4ker, we're working on getting the price finalised ASAP (afterall, performance only matters if you know you can afford it!). One thing I can say is that kits will be sold in stages, allowing the builder to get on with the job while saving for the next sub-kit.

The cabin size was designed around myself (6'4", 100kg), with the idea of LOOONG cross-country comfort a priority. Shoulder width of the cabin is 44.2" (1122mm).

Regarding the powerplant options - you can't exactly expect Mike Blyth (whos project this is) to offer it with a compettitor's powerplant...This project and the Rotax engine have been joined at the hip since the word go, but being a kit, the builder is free to do his own thing! Once we have tested the upper end of performance, I will work out the smallest herd of ponies required.
Hmmm, sounds great ! And the fact that it is proudly SA makes it even better !

If you need some professional photos taken just shout !

I can understand that Mike wants to use a Rotax, but I am sure it will fly even better with the Jabiru 3300, ask the Americans who has discovered this engine for the cleaner planes that don't need a geared engine.

Looking forward to hearing more, this could be a great alternative for the RV I am considering.

Well done guys (^^)
Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Tiff1
First solo

Postby Tiff1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:44 pm

aircraftworx wrote:The prototype was developed and built in Germiston, right next to Aviation Engines and Accessories (Rotax dealership).
How about Essex or just SX (after David Essex and his song - "The silver dream machine")
Jabbawok
Fly it like you stole it!!
Choppie

Postby Choppie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:38 pm

looks a lot like a great white shark. The take-off pic and the avitar makes me think of a great white - especially with the intakes placed the way it is.
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Keep a lookout in SA Flyer for name suggestion competition - we've got to reward the winner somehow!

(Note: the engine cowl might change - unless there is overwhelming demand that it doesn't. The sharp lines might cost a couple of knots at the high end... :( )
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Rudix wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more, this could be a great alternative for the RV I am considering.
Say it isn't so :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died