Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Wallaby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey Oupa-G, thanks for the tour this afternoon. Nice to actually see the aerie in the full flesh. Things are looking very untidy and far from complete, but if you know something of building then you'll know it's only a matter of tieing up the loose ends and then in a blink of the eye the whole aerie is finish and klaar. I can say that Oupa an Vliegvark knows their business around their workshop and tools.

I especially like the fact that Oupa-G is so close (very close ) to his business. If he have 5mins off, he just rush into the shop and starts working on something for 5 mins.

Thank you Oupa-G for taking quick time to see me and explaining some things to me. Cant wait for this aerie to fly and you giving us the results of all your trials.

BTW, I can vouch for the fact that Oupa and Vliegvark must have lots of contacts for all these different parts, because I don't know where they get all these high quality parts and stuff. And Oupa knows what he wants in this aerie.

Cheers
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Wallaby thanks for the compliment it takes years of locating things and an acute eye for what you can use in the building of an aerie. What made us very happy is the fact that the total weight of the engine is 82.5 kg's see previous page.

MYR we must ask Massimo he is in the position to do just that his aerie you can bolt of the engine but they must be fair and weigh the tank and radiators oil and water and the pipes, and silencer.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Were doing all the finishing touches on the engine mount and exhaust etc. Vliegvark sends remarks through the ether of the workshop when he gets frustrated with a weld when it does not want to flow to his liking. Also had a pre-view of the Eboxi as can be seen by the logo and comment on the box it is designed for the 1200GS motorbike the box "beats Push'n" is aimed at the bikers that venture into Africa. A homebuilder of aeroplanes "at his own discretion" can possibly use this as inspiration for his engine. He may even wan't to use two of these boxes "at his own discretion".

We are very happy with the weight of the full engine instalation the 82.5 kg's was lower then what we expected. There is more detail on this topic on the previous page.

Enclosed some photo's

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Engine.jpg
82.5 kg's what a bonus for 110 hp more detail on previous page
Engine.jpg (75.22 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Eboxi1.jpg
Eboxi as designed for the 1200GS bike
Eboxi1.jpg (65.62 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Eboxi2.jpg
another view
Eboxi2.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 pm

The imported hose-clamps Oupa-G is using are called "Oetiker" ear-clamps and I've tracked down some local distributors in CT and Gauteng. (They come in S/S or Zinc-plated)

Cape Town:
Hosefit
35 Neptune St Paarden Eiland
cape Town
Tel 021 5104299

Gauteng
International Clamps
36 Fourth St Wynberg sandton
Tel 011 8096503/4
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Learjet thanks that is very helpful the wonders and strenght of the web.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 pm

I see we have passed the 23000 hits. What a wonderful response I will try to keep the news and pictures flowing . Sent the engine mount and oil cooler box and brackets for powder coating will be back to-morrow and then the Easter weekend we want to start the Bosvarkie things will now be assembled permanently. The Eboxi's have been programmed but will have to be finally tuned for the variable prop. We will also hear the bark of the new exhaust. I will keep you posted.

Cheers Oupa-G
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Oupa-G

Would you mind if a few interested folk join you when you fire her up? I for one would love to hear the purr of that engine. If so let us know when. vhpy I've got that mustang project that i'm going to start in about three months time and i've been following this thread with great interest "borrowing" ideas. Why re-invent the wheel? I'll be calling often with how's?, why's?, who's? and where? All builds should be this well documented. Excellent! (^^)
I sometimes get confused............But i'm not sure
vliegvark
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby vliegvark » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am

anybuilder should have a AP or a person with know how that he or she can phone
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Ek weet niemand het hom nog vrek gewerk nie, maar die week het ek groot kanse gevat..... I put a 912 0n the scale this afternoon...63.5kg. No radiator, oil cooler or silencer system. The object with THAT colour :shock: on it is a project I am busy painting. I would have liked to be present when you fire it up, but won`t make it. ENJOY (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Attachments
Scarlet chrome.JPG
Scarlet chrome.JPG (61.44 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
Geweeg.JPG
Geweeg.JPG (82.47 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm

oops :oops: Wrong scale.......THAT one was a LOT heavier :shock: :oops: :oops:
Attachments
weegskaal.JPG
weegskaal.JPG (81.72 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
MYR
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby MYR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Boet ! We cannot read the weight ! :) :( :shock: :evil:

What is the weight of a 912S 100 hp ?
I open a new topic as to compare apples withe apples :wink:

Here we are comparing with the BMW, but there : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10324&p=105523#p105523 let's try to compare with the manual. Then let's add the fluids.
I'm a French speaking person. Sorry for the mistakes I can make.
If you don't understand what I say, do not hesitate to tell me.

Je fréquente aussi le forum : Le forum des ULM-ELA-LSA
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 pm

63.5kg
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 pm

If you compare apples to Apples Rotax 63.5 and the BMW 69kgs so the BM is 5.5 kg's heavier but then on the installation the BM only needs one cooler where the Rotax needs two coolers oil and water in the end I don't think there is a great difference. But the Rotax has flown around the world and the BM must still show its real colors. It is going to be exciting to see the next few years.
I got the engine mount back painted as well as the shroud of the oil cooler I have also finished the baffles fitted 45 3mm rivnuts
I have the Easter weekend ahead and we should be ready to start Monday . Otto is doing the wiring the hardware is my departement everything from now on is double checked, because we are now not backtracking. And when a bolt is checked and torqued then it gets the touch of nail varnish. The assembly stage is very exciting. Its getting late,

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Today the workshop was buzzing Vliegvark putting the final welding touches on the exhaust fits like a glove , tension free. Our in house satelite and rocket scientist hard at work brading the Afro hairstile . Here just some tips on making eleectrical joints we like crimping because a good crimp is better then soldering . Soldering makes the wire brittle and it brakes and if it does not brake it corrodes. A good crimp is infinately better because if you have a nice crimp done with a good crimping tool the fitting and the wire form an eutechtoid this is where the molecules of the wire and the molecules of the fitting melt into each other. PROVIDED YOU HAVE NOT TWISTED THE WIRE WITH YOUR FATTY LITTLE PAWS< BECAUSE IF YOU DID YOU HAVE JUST DEPOSITED A FINGERPRINT ON THE WIRE WHICH PREVENTS THE JOINING OF THE METALS, A COTTON GLOVE SHOULD BE WARN IF YOU HAVE THE URGE TO TWIST THE WIRE I'm enclosing some photo's of a good crimp. I have many pics tonight so standby more will follow

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Wiring9.jpg
Just look at the concentration
Wiring9.jpg (85.25 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Wiring5.jpg
Just look at the well crimped fitting If you can read the number the metals have also fused
Wiring5.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Wiring4.jpg
The right tool for the right job
Wiring4.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Just some pics on how we use the heat shielding around the vital loom and the passage through the firewall. Trying to prevent future failings. Always keep in mind corrosion and aging of materials. We try to make the plane as safe in 10 years time and longer We already know that aeroplanes cared for can live many years. That is what we are aiming for with the Bosvark

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Wiring7.jpg
Heat sleeve over firewall fitting
Wiring7.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Wiring6.jpg
Note the shielding of wire s and the firewall fitting
Wiring6.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Wiring3.jpg
Loom covered by heat shielding
Wiring3.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 4015 times