Rotorway project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Rotorway project

Postby greg vos » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 am

I have been approached to enter into a Rotorway 162 build, the craft is totally disassembled and in a sad state.

The idea is to purchase this derelict craft, I will do a total rebuild, add the new upgraded Talon tail drive and install a Turbine. (solar T62) Having no experience in building the Rotorway and having read only bad things about how many hours one spends maintaining it for every hour flown, it seems a little lop sided.

I have flown the 162 and despite its low inertia rotor it was not a unpleasant experience.

Im hoping a forum member can advise on issues with it and what it will be like with the Turbine compared to the OEM engine that I believe was a thorn of unreliability? The new generation did come with a Turbine,are there any flying in SA?

If any one has approached this project can they advise on a possible cost structure?
The T62 will be about ZAR 250K landed in SA the Kit I can purchase for say 100K and Im allowing for time and effort of say 300K

What am I missing? a Turbine Heli for 600-700K can it be done?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
German
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Rotorway project

Postby German » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Speak to Rotor Mad on AVCOM
He is the Helicycle/turbine boffin
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:06 pm

German wrote:Speak to Rotor Mad on AVCOM
Thanks German

Unfortunately I have been banned on avcom for life :roll: ...some people take offence when we say it as it is and they in turn have mates who are mods on avcom vhpy
In fact I have been chirping the ods on this forum now for a while and am surprised that I have not been banned yet...although as Walton Rodney says ...it wont be long :lol:

But then again I have not been asked about my thoughts on BEE and so on :twisted:
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
Horned Adder
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Horned Adder » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:37 pm

greg vos wrote:
German wrote:Speak to Rotor Mad on AVCOM
Thanks German

Unfortunately I have been banned on avcom for life :roll: ...some people take offence when we say it as it is and they in turn have mates who are mods on avcom vhpy
In fact I have been chirping the ods on this forum now for a while and am surprised that I have not been banned yet...although as Walton Rodney says ...it wont be long :lol:

But then again I have not been asked about my thoughts on BEE and so on :twisted:
You want his number Greg?
To fly is Heavenly but to Hover is Divine!