Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Ian's Savannah Project

Postby Ian » Sat May 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi,
As suggested by FAWG, Ill post my progress if there seems to be interest.
I bought the KIT#2 with engine mount, exhaust and prop from kit3.
Below is the kit as recieved, all nicely packed.
First step was making a building table out of the box top - just fitted into the garage...
Next I made or procured the basic tools.
The wing structure builds fast, longest time is spent cleaning the parts and straightening the edges to 90Degs.
Building the Flapperons
Using straps and some wood to pull the skin over the slats
Again using straps to pull the skin on the Horz Stab
Fin and rudder complete less the plastic tips..
Here I use a little block of wood to 'pull' the plastic tip into the end of the flapperon.
A wooden profile to line up end covers on the Horz Stab
Completed Horz Tail, just the centre bracket to go..
At this stage slats, flaperons, Horz stab, elevator, fin and rudder are complete. next is to cover the wings.
Ok so tell me guys, should I continue to post ? Standard build pictures are available elsewhere on the net so I thought I should focus on school fees etc.. any comments ?
Cheers Ian
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun May 21, 2006 4:11 am

=D* =D* =D* =D* =D* =D* =D* =D*

Please keep it up. Very keen to see / follow progress. Please add indication of time it takes for each part. As soon as I have space I hope to start one. (Assuming I actually do some work on the RV lead Fat boy BB :oops: :oops: )
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Sun May 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Some indications of time. I separate actual build time with 'logistics', where logistics is making space, storage brackets, workbench, looking for parts etc. Build time includes washing and any work on a kit part.
So to first AP inspection of all flying surfaces open enough so he can see all inside was BUILD = 119 Hrs & Logistics 71 Hrs.
To date with all flying surfaces except the wings closed BUILD = 168 Hrs and logistics = 73 Hrs.
You gotta understand this is my first AC build, plus I'm fussy and I'm in no rush as I have a great TBird to fly in the mean time :D
Cheers Ian
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby alan » Mon May 22, 2006 10:05 am

Hi Ian
Keep the posts coming. I am also very interested in the Savannah. By the look of your workshop you are Mr Fixit (Is that you in the photo? :roll: ). What experience have you had in building aircraft and what tools does one need. Have you had any difficult phases.
Thanks again.
Alan
Waiting for the wind to stop
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Mon May 22, 2006 10:38 am

Thats me in camouflage.. he he :wink:
Nah, thats my faithful gardener.
Main tools you need are below, you obviosly need files and other gen things, like a rivnut tool (you can make) and a dimpler and some small jigs etc, but nothing major.
Image.
The little blue thingie is a deburring tool (Noga), very handy !
They supply cleco pliers but they are not very strong, so best to get a pair. They also supply a pneumatic riveter which works fine, except its nose is fat and cannot get into all the places, so I bought one locally.
Experience in building AC ? - none with ones you can sit in, build plenty RC though.. I have read plenty, follow the ICP instructions to the T, and talk to my AP or someone at EAA, or post the question on the Savannah group on Yahoo whenever I am stuck. There are plenty guys to help.
Cheers
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:56 am

When we spoke to John he said all we would need was compressor?

Am considering building one on the farm with my cousin for use as farm patrol, fire control, poach and game spotting etc. It in the sticks a long drive from town so access to hardware shop could be a bit of a prob as local resources are limited to the co-op and mostly backorder which is hugely frustrating.

Question is thus how complete and idiot proof is the kit/maunal? What else would be required?
4 Sale (will trade)
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 am

Ian wrote:Nah, thats my faithful gardener.
Looks like he's been promoted to assistant plane builder. Is he also your test pilot??
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Sonex711
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Sonex711 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 am

Hey Ian,

Slow down now... Looks like I'm moving backwards...

Atleast I have someone to point out all the problems and pitfalls, and to keep me going... Need any more spare parts :wink:
Andrew
Savannah flyer
S25 55 54.80 E028 04 34.40
=D* =D* =D*
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Mon May 22, 2006 11:56 am

Sonex711 wrote:Hey Ian,

Slow down now... Looks like I'm moving backwards...

Atleast I have someone to point out all the problems and pitfalls, and to keep me going... Need any more spare parts :wink:
Kept your name outta this in case you felt embarrassed.. :oops: Now youve opened the door for all types of abuse :wink: I must tell you guys when we went down to John to test fly the idea was that Andrew was gonna build fast and I would learn from HIS mistakes... :shock: but I suppose he has an excuse .. he built something else first.. see below !
Sonex711
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Sonex711 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Ian wrote:... but I suppose he has an excuse .. he built something else first.. see below !
Ja ja... He was a lot more difficult to build that a Savannah tho, and I've also discovered that the manual he came with is not that great :wink:

Ok, TMI (too much info)...
Andrew
Savannah flyer
S25 55 54.80 E028 04 34.40
=D* =D* =D*
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon May 22, 2006 12:32 pm

HI Ian,

Keep the pictures and updates comming.

I have a couple of questions
1) What is the dark grey/black stuff on top of the ribs and flaperons spar?
2) Is the Alu kit primered already?
3) I believe the holes are already deburred, due to the water pressure manufacturing process. Is that correct or do you have to match drill to final size?

Thanks
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm

greylingr wrote:HI Ian,

1) What is the dark grey/black stuff on top of the ribs and flaperons spar?
2) Is the Alu kit primered already?
3) I believe the holes are already deburred, due to the water pressure manufacturing process. Is that correct or do you have to match drill to final size?
1. dark black stuff is some fancy Italian primer that is supplied in the kit, you paint one side of all lapping surfaces (allie joining alli) with it. Whats nice is that its water based so easy to handle.
2. See 1 above..
3. You never match drill, all holes are laser, HP water or stamped out, all are spot on accurate (so far at least...), although you have to stretch the alli skins, thats the most challenging to learn about. You remove any burr from some holes if they feel sharp. Thats one beauty of this kit, you dont need 100% straight surfaces as it all lines up straight when you rivet together. So one rule is never make a hole bigger and if you do make an error, drill out to the next size rivet.
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Mon May 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Why is the priming limited to the surfaces that touch? What do you do about corrosion prevention on the inside surfaces that are not painted or protected in any way??
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Griffin wrote:Why is the priming limited to the surfaces that touch? What do you do about corrosion prevention on the inside surfaces that are not painted or protected in any way??
Yep, did a lot of research into this one. The Allie used is 6061T6 which is very resistant to corrosion, enough (so many 'experts' say) not to cause problems in JHB. Also priming adds weight, so I've decided to spray internally once a year with a CPC like CorrosionX or Dinitrol Av8 which seems to be 'the new way' to protect. (Google the above words and get as confused as I did)
I'll tell you in 10 years time if it was the right decision.
cheers
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:44 pm

RV4ker wrote:

Question is thus how complete and idiot proof is the kit/maunal? What else would be required?
Ta :roll: :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)