Ian's Savannah Project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Blitz
Heard about flying

Re: Ian's Savannah Project

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 am

Did something I had wanted to do for a long time and phoned Fred and went to fly Savanah at Springs on Tuesday.
A first for me having done all my time in C 152/172/182 type aircraft.
Well I am impressed. Light, rugged abd refreshing.Thoroughly enjoyed and its definately an aircraft that I would invest in in the future.
Does anyone have them for H&F?
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm

First year's feedback

So here we are a full year since I got the first ATF, got my 2009 ATF from CAA in 20 minutes.

The Sav has done 110 hours in the year, furthest I wandered from JHB was Kroosnstad and Barberton AF. We are planning to go much further this coming year.

Below are all the issues (or work outside normal engine and airframe requirements) I experienced with the Sav since completing the proving flights.

1. 40 Hrs - Chanaged leaking Rotax fuel pump.
2. Rotax decided we had to replace gearbox gears and mine was one that had to be changed. Done by Rotax AMO.
3. Under advice of the Rotax AMO, I fitted a solid elbow to the oil inlet (front of motor, by the fuel pump) which prevents low pressure due to a possible rubber pipe bend in flight.
4. 91 hrs - The fuel low level switch that sits in the top of the fuel header tank started leaking, John Waterson sent me a new one within 3 days (great support !)
5. 95 hrs - The Ac stood outside during rain, I covered the windscreen but the cover flapped on the side scratching the Lexan - Boet's advice of elbow grease and Silvo fixed it to almost new.
6. 100 hrs - Replaced brake disks and pads, at build time I did not ream out the caliper mounting bracket which needs a bit of play, so the disks were shot. In the last 10 hours the disks are still flawless.

During the annual inspection, Fred B's beagle eyes picked up 2 wee issues:

1. Coolant header tank (small round black tank that sits ontop of the motor) was touching the engine block, eventually the rubber would wear away. Fixed
2. Rubber fuel hose between filter and pipe entering engine bay had a small crack on the loose side of the clamp. Fixed by fitting a better sized pipe.

Apart from above the prop has been adjusted a few times to give me the best performance between climb and cruise. I am happy with the DUC windspoon, it is great for the climb, obviously you give a bit away in drag of the spoon end in the cruise.

I am VERY pleased with the Sav's performance and reliability.

What do I really enjoy ?

Landing on small bush strips - It's really awesome to experience real short full flap landings, crosswind landing capabilities are great as well.
Taking advantage of the conditions offered with winter flying - not all dressed up, the heater works well :)
Being able to fly any time of the day, like not having to rush at breakfast fly inn's to get back or visiting many strips each time we fly.
The climb out .. It is still awesome at each take off vhpy
Having an accurate fuel flow meter - stress free fuel management 8)
And enjoying the installation of an iPod and good intercom :wink:

Cheers

ian
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 am

Hi Ian

Wow is it a Year already (**)

Congrats Dude you built a magnificent aircraft and you did an excellent job which you are now reaping the benefits from.
Thanks for the feedback. !!!! !!!! !!!!

Blue skies and keep enjoying her. (^^)
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 pm

A belated thanks for your comments Gavin :)

Now I see in 2 years Savannah have released 2 new models, first the VG following on the theory as described at http://www.stolspeed.com then bigger mods to the VG to be more popular for the US LSA market.

The cabin size is bigger (5" wider, 4" longer) I guess the bigger 'Boere' will be happy, the cowling looks sleeker (looks like they have moved the radiator back), and the rudder pedals are now adjustable. all this for an extra 3KG.

You can compare the 2 below..

Ah well... I'm still happy with mine (126 hours now and all wonderful) vhpy

Cheers ian
Attachments
my Sav.jpg
my Sav.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
Sav VG XL.jpg
Sav VG XL.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:19 pm

A belated update, now 180 hours and all is well.

Now exploring the Sav's short landing ability etc , just amazing... vhpy

Went to the delta a while ago, here is a link to you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bp_MuzBWXs

Cheers ian
WollieW
Ready for the first flight

Postby WollieW » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Sir

Now you will REALLY start enjoying the aerie!! vhpy
Take care!
Wollie
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Saw this Savannah on Saterday at KROON still looks good
Ian please give us an update on pro' s and con 's that you have experienced since completion of build till current
if possible
regards
Big Mac
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 am

Big Mac wrote:Saw this Savannah on Saterday at KROON still looks good
Ian please give us an update on pro' s and con 's that you have experienced since completion of build till current
if possible
regards
Big Mac
Hi Big Mac

Since the first year's feedback (Dec 2008) I have had:

1. Engine replacement at 200 hours - Rotax free replacement - CAM followers not hardened (?) which affected a small number of motors with plenty loose metal bitties looking for something to attack.
2. Fitted a small mode 's' transponder (Trig) so I can fly in controlled areas and big tin can 'see' me ...
3. Changed the prop to a Kiev - better cruise, lost some climb but not much, spinner looks quite nice too 8)
4. Moved from Summit to Crosswinds airfield, much better and a good bunch of people out there :)

Now on 274 hours and enjoying every minute of flying it vhpy

As mentioned in Dec '08 at 100 hours I had to change the brake pads, well, since ensuring some movement on the calipers the 2nd set of pads are still fine :wink:

I also bought spare tundra tyres at time of build as I thought they would wear pretty fast, well, the original set still look pretty new :? (most landings are on dirt/grass these days)

What would I change ? Nothing.... the aerie is great as it is .

If I was to build another arie, what would it be ? - if I could own 2 (for different purposes) then I would build an RV12 for going places and a Sav VGXL (or CH750) for my weekend fun !

Trouble with another build right now is in spending the most valuable resource we have - time - I enjoy flying (and golfing) too much right now.. (!!)

cheers
Attachments
EMW June 2011.jpg
Rave
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Rave » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the feedback. As discussed with you at Kroon, is it possible to reactivate your lost photographs? (^^)

Regards,

Deon.
Big Mac

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks Ian from your feedback you are definitely enjoying the fruit of your labour
Regards
Big Mac (^^)
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Ian its been a few years since your last post on this thread. I met you once at EAA wonderboom when John flow up the Sav to PTA for the first time. You were still building at the time. Do you still have your Sav and if so how is it doing? What issues have you had and are you still happt with your choice? Cheers. Andrew
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Andrew

Wow, EAA Wonderboom is a long time back vhpy

Yes, I still have the Sav, it has around 450 hours, has been to the Botswana Delta, KZN and many other parts of our country. I still enjoy every minute flying her.

Issues- the Rotax was exchanged under warranty at around 200 hours due to a faulty batch of engines (cam followers were not hardened properly). Also changed the prop to Kiev, really nice. No airframe etc issues at all. Scheduled maintenance jobs have been painless. Windscreen is getting a bitty old, and will need to be replaced in a year or so. Support from John Waterson the distributor has been exceptional !

I would like to remove the slats and fit new leading edge but I don't want "out of service time" at the moment , flying is just too nice (!!)

The new Models are really nice, good cruise with good STOL flying qualities. An Allie aerie doesn't age that fast and mine still looks good after 6.5 years.

Would I buy anything else ? - doubt it as my mission is not commuting but mainly local weekend flying into any small strip where one always meets nice interesting people !

Cheers

Ian
WollieW
Ready for the first flight

Postby WollieW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Your aerie still looks excellent after the 6.5 years meneer :-)!
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the update Ian. Its awsome that you have done so many hours in a plane you built! Proves that if you take care and pay attention to details when building there is no reason why a homebuilt cannot be as reliable as TCA . Fly well!! (^^) (^^)
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 pm

"I would like to remove the slats and fit new leading edge but I don't want "out of service time" at the moment , flying is just too nice (!!) "

Hi Ian
Why would you want to remove the slats?