Dirk & Martyn's RAVEN (2200 Jabiru): ZU-FFZ

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: Dirk & Martyn's RAVEN (2200 Jabiru): ZU-FFZ

Postby Maybe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 am

OK...LOTS AND LOTS have happened since my last post!!

First of all.....Even though CAA has got plenty of red tape and paper exercises......Jason from CAA really did his part to help us out! Thanks Jason.

"Dear Martyn,
The exemption regarding the Type Approval has come back and has been approved by the SACAA."

Yahooooo!! So this aerie is getting registered....NO MORE DELAYS!! will pick up registration certificate in the week!

"Dear Martyn,
The other exemption (Static load test) has returned, also approved! "

So we are in the running for applying Proving Flight Authority this week!!! (^^)

Now for some progress on the aircraft itself.

The INTERIOR was finished....and we are more than happy with the outcome.
Interior.JPG
Then the GAS STRUTS was also installed..no more "bloudraad" solution!.....
It was a mission to get the "non pumped" struts...and then also the fittings. Gas strusts was bought from Diesel Electric and the fittings as well.....but I had to drive to Diesel Electric's head office in JHB to get them..... (surely i could have ordered...but was not prepared to wait :P )

Thanks to Rudix(saw it a photo of his frame) and also to Johann Fronemann for some info on fitting them! Dirk fitted it...and he got them perfect!
GAS struts are fitted.JPG

Then ...at last....it was time to get this aerie to FARG !!
Onroute to FARG.JPG
With the aircraft at the airfield...we could finally fit the wings!
WINGS FITTED
And impressed ....we are!!! (!!)
Wings on.JPG

We had the test pilot around and he had a quick look at the airie...made some suggestions so we got most of his "wants'' and "suggestions" implemented over the weekend!. He also shared his concerns regarding the engine....but so does the rest of the Raven Builders community.....if it works well...I know of a couple of builders who is going with the 2200 Jabi engine!......if not......well then we and other potensial builders will just have to make another plan! But currently....We are FULL of HOPE!!

Next step....the AP is comming to do weight and balance and inspection....
Once that is done....I'll be off to CAA for applying for that Proving Flight Authority!

If all goes well......we wan't to maiden this beaut on Saturday 12th December!! (^^)

Will keep you guys posted!!

HAPPY FLYING!!
Martyn
(-)
RSH
Looking at the sky

Postby RSH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:46 am

Good morning gentlemen, how is the prospects looking for the maiden of your aircraft on Saturday, we are seriously considering driving through to join your guys, have a similar project and is very interested in the route that you guys have persuaded. vhpy
God Bless
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 pm

(-) Hi RSH,

We are very exited, but unfortunately can't commit on a maiden flight for Saturday!

Problem 1:
We've been waiting for Carl to send back the airframe logbook...he had to fill out the build process as he build the frame. At last I've received the book back yesterday afternoon.

So this afternoon we are meeting our AP at the field for final inspection, logbook signoff, and all other documentation for application to Proving flight.

Tomorrow(Friday) I am going through to CAA to hand it all in.

Problem 2:
If we are REAL lucky....they issue us with a proving flight authority the same day....if not....we'll be waiting...AGAIN!! :oops:

Problem 3:
Our test-pilot might not be available on Saturday....he's got some other commitments that came up. (Although...maybe we are lucky...and he can squeeze us in)

Everything is going in the right direction now....but... these 3 problems 'might' delay us somewhat!
Non-the-less.....I will keep this forum posted on the progress and the possible date for maiden flight.

Thanks for the interest!

We'll be sure to share all info, flight test data, performance figures on 2200 Jab engine etc. with you guys out there - once we get this bird in the air!

Happy Flying
(-)
RSH
Looking at the sky

Postby RSH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for the response, highly appreciated, all of the best, we will keep a look out ! vhpy
God Bless
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:50 pm

AT VERY LONG LAST!!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm a very (almost 100%) happy man!! We are now in possession of the registration papers of ZU-FFZ and we also have a "Proving Flight Authority" for the next 6 months!! <starting friday morning - 11 Dec> Thus we've achieved our personal goal: Being ready for maiden on 12 December. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

Unfortunately problem 3 did occur - and our test pilot couldn't help us. So No maiden yet. (else I would be 100% happy by now!!) :lol: :lol:

But I've taken the beauty on the run way and did some taxi and power checks! So it still was alot of fun! I really can't wait to take to the skies!

So what now...???
I am taking the family on leave from Tuesday to early in the next year.....so It looks like I might be missing out on the Maiden flight.

Dirk will be around for the holidays....So as soon as the testpilot is available and the weather is good......the maiden flight will happen!

So if nothing magically happens and an available test pilot appears out of the blue.....before tuesday.......I will only be posting new posts early 2010....but then, hopefully.. with actual great flying experience on our Raven!! vhpy vhpy

All the best - Safe flying!!

Martyn

(-)
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:27 am

MAIDEN

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

FFZ took to the skies on 27 December 2009 !!!

Beautiful! (-)
Airborne.JPG
Airborne
The aerie flies great - have good manners and predictable characteristics.
Here is an in-flight pic I took this morning
In flight - panel.JPG
its nice up there....
Its to early to tell what the real cruise speed and fuel burn will be.....but initial indicators looks good!
it looks like we'll be cruising at 85-90 MPH for now....burning around 15 l/h @ roughly 2700 RPM.

I'll post more data later (cruising speed & fuel burn at different RPM settings)
Stalls at 30MPH - power off - VERY docile!!
vhpy

BUT....we are not finished yet! (!!) Some trimmings will still be done....
-close up some gaps
-add wheel spats (anyone with a mold or ideas on spats for these little aeries?)
-add VG's (Vortex Generators - http://www.stolspeed.com) for better STOL operation
Any other ideas to get her faster?? (We hope to get to 105 MPH)

SOLVED PROBLEMS:
There were quite a few teething problems before maiden flight.....from rev's not coming up to flat battery......
The rev issue was sorted out when we replaced the flexible pipe to the carb with a more rigid one.

CURRENT ISSUES:
There is a vibration somewhere between 1400RPM and 1800RPM
- Can it be the prop? (Probably not....as we have no vibration at the lower or higher RPM settings)
- Engine mountings? ( when can try and tighten the mountings a bit more...but what is the limit?)
- Anything else?
The last 10% towards full throttle results in rough running and no additional power. (we get to around 2850RPM - 2950RPM on a 90% throttle , but adding the final 10% does not add power and engine sounds a little rough) :evil:
No clue ?? Any ideas?

Hopefully we'll sort out the last 2 issues soon!.

ALL and ALL....we are very happy....and exited!!
Happy owners.JPG
The Happy Owners !!

All the best - HAPPY FLYING!!

Martyn
(-)
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:11 pm

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

Congrats! Great to hear that she is flying, and flying well! Hope you have many happy hours!

Call the Jab factory about the full throttle running. I think the throttle stop is supposed to be set at 75%, or something, as this is a common problem.

By your performance numbers, the engine is marginally overpropped. If you are brave, you might consider getting Oom Piet to take off an inch of pitch, or diameter (pitch would be better).

For speed, the following mods work:
1) close all gaps,
2) fair in the main gear boxes (I will be making molds sometime in the next month, or so - yell if you want to borrow them),
3) spats,
4) fair in gear legs.
Johannvanniekerk
Signed up at flight school

Postby Johannvanniekerk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 am

Puik manne! Very well done! (^^) (^^)

I have closed the bottom gap between the stabilizer and the fuselage and also made a "lead off" between the stabilizer and fin. I have done this for cosmetic reasons because I think the Raven looks uncomplete in this area, doubt if it will have any other benefit.

Why do you want to add vortex generators if she stalls at 30mph? VG's do create drag.

Cheers
Johann
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Johann Froneman has built a number of these planes and uses one in his flight school - he has designed some spats and covers etc - give him a shout www.wcftc.co.za
Mike Cooper
Flying is not a hobby it is an addiction
RSH
Looking at the sky

Postby RSH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Fantastic gents, how is the flying going? I have some spats that you are more than welcome to borrow to make molds off, if interested. Were you able to source any other type of covers (horizontal stabilator/ fuselage, faring s etc)? vhpy
God Bless
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm

The flying is going GREAT. Excellent little aircraft. We are 30 hours into the proving flights. Another 10 hrs and I'm off to CAA for ATF.

Are you using your spats? Yes, we are difinately going to need something to work from. (they're not for sale? are they?) :P
Can you send/post a pic of your spats? What speed difference can you expect with the spats?

No, we were not able to get any other covers. ANYONE out there with ideas?

(-)
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Great work guys...gives me an extra kick up teh arse to get back in the garage and to get building.

j
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
Funtana
Ready for the first flight

Postby Funtana » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Photos added for RSH, phodies of his Raven ZU - ATW. Enjoy
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-016F.JPG
MVC-019F.JPG
Speed is live
RSH
Looking at the sky

Postby RSH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Brilliant i am glad everything is going good, I apologize for only replying now. I have requested a very good friend of mine to upload some pictures of the spats that i have on my aircraft (Currently still technical handicapped in relation to posting pictures). I am not currently utilising the spats due to the fact that the aircraft is not flying at the moment. I am in a process to install a new motor (Still deciding between J3300 / Rotax 912 ULS). Therefore you gents are more than welcome to utilize a spat to make molds off. Unfortunately it is not for sale.

Difference in speed not sure, bought aircraft with spats and have flown it as is subsequently, cruised approximately 100 MPH. Agree, from what i have seen and experienced, the Raven is underrated and quit a nice aircraft. Do you gents have the DVD from Jabiru USA pertaining to a installation of the j3300 in a Zodiac frame ?
God Bless
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:17 am

NO, don't have the DVD....when we got the aerie...the engine was already installed. Try Len in george at Jabiru...maybe he can post you a copy?!

Your aerie looks beautiful....who was the builder?

Happy flying!
(-)