TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby Boet » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:00 am

I would like to make contact with the guys doing the Yaris engine conversion for aircraft use. 082 8041896, or send me a PM please.
WollieW
Ready for the first flight

Re: TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby WollieW » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Saw about a week ago the Yaris engine been selected as international engine of the year for engines up to 1000cc....
Not jap scrap as the saying goes....
Wollie
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Boet,

Basic info here
http://my.prostreetonline.com/forums/ar ... ?t-852.htm

and pasted below. Note engine Mass 187 Lbs. Alu Block.
Engine develops 103 lbsft Torque at 4200rpm this equates to 82 Hp at 4200 rpm.
Max 110Hp is at 6000rpm.

Could be a very lekka conversion.
Would probaby need to buy engine with computer box and wiring harness to save development time, or just ask Oupa G to do his magic with E Boxi. vhpy vhpy

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.

Toyota 1NZ-FE specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

admin11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
-1495 cubic centimeters
-75.0mm bore
-84.7mm (3.33-in) stroke
-dual overhead camshafts
(4 valves per cylinder via shimless bucket type tappets)
-valves inclined at 33.5°
-vane type VVT-i continuously variable intake valve timing device.
-valve diameters:
30.5 mm (1.20 in) for intake
25.5 mm (1.00 in) for exhast.
-cylinder block: aluminum with cast-in iron liners.
-cylinder and crankshaft centers are offset to reduce piston slapping.
-the NZ engine is placed transversely, canted rearward, with the intake side facing forward.
-the 1NZ-FE 1.5-L puts out 81 kW (110 hp) at 6000 rpm and 143 N•m (105 lb•ft) at 4200 rpm.

about the fuel system:
the scions have a fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter in the fuel tank. the returnless system means warm fuel from the engine bay does not return to the tank. the internal temperature of the fuel tank therefore stays cooler, reducing evaporative emissions.

about the VVT-i:
toyota’s intelligent continuously variable valve timing system is more advanced than the basic systems in some German luxury vehicles and Japanese small cars.
scions have the latest-generation TMC-developed vane-type VVT-i control, which debuted on Prius and Lexus IS200. VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine’s operating conditions. This improves performance and fuel efficiency, and reduces vibration on engine start-up and shut-down.

1NZ-FE's inlet timing can be varied over a range of 60 degrees relative to crankshaft angle, to provide optimum valve timing for the full range of driving conditions.

Inlet camshaft timing is varied according to engine revolutions, throttle position, engine coolant temperature and intake air volume. The maximum retard setting provides zero valve overlap. (There is a five degree period between the exhaust valve closing and inlet opening.) Inlet cam timing is set to the maximum retard position for engine start-up, operation at low engine temperature, idle and engine shut-down. The maximum advance setting provides 55 degrees of valve overlap.

VVT-i Activation:
the scion's VVT-i is a computer controlled and oil-pressure activated push- push type system. The engine ECU can command the system to advance or retard the inlet camshaft timing, thereby providing for faster response. The hardware is a camshaft timing oil control valve mounted adjacent to the inlet camshaft gear wheel and a VVT-i controller mechanism built onto the inlet camshaft timing gear. The camshaft timing oil control valve is a spool valve, controlled via a coil and plunger by the engine ECU. It can signal "advance", "hold" or "retard". The VVT-i controller consists of a housing on the front of the timing wheel, driven from the timing chain, and a four-bladed vane coupled with the intake camshaft.

when the engine ECU requires a change in inlet timing, it signals the oil control valve to provide oil pressure to either the advance or retard side of the four vane chambers. A locking pin in the controller locks the camshaft timing in the maximum retard position for engine start-up and immediately after start-up (until oil pressure is established) to prevent any knocking noise.

other features:

• a long-branch inlet system with resonator, to maximise low-to-mid range torque. The inlet system is made of plastic, to reduce heat transfer from the engine to the inlet charge and hence increase volumetric efficiency

• a plastic engine cover to reduce NVH and increase recyclability

• sequential fuel injection with multiple injector nozzles mounted in the inlet ports, for maximum fuel atomisation and reduced wall wetting

• a hot chip type air flow meter for the EFI, for more accurate air-flow measurement and hence more accurate fuel/air mixing

• stainless steel extractor-style exhaust headers, for maximum performance and durability, and lower emissions

• rearward-facing exhaust, which combines with double-walled front exhaust pipe to improve catalytic converter performance and hence reduce emissions. The catalytic converter has thinner walls to further improve heat-up rate and reduce emission

• a double ball-jointed exhaust pipe connector, to reduce NVH

• a two-stage muffler (as debuted in the Lexus range) to improve high rpm engine performance on the 1.5 litre sedan engine Additional fuel emission saving technology includes computer engine management, individual Toyota Direct Ignition for each of the four cylinders and electronic spark advance with a knock control system.

•the engine ECU determines the spark advance.

•serviceability improvements include Multiplex engine diagnostics (which can detect a malfunction and memorise details of the failure), a vertically installed oil filter and adoption of chain drive to the camshafts.

•the 8mm pitch roller cam chain has a lubricating oil jet and auto tensioner.

•the combustion chambers in the scion engine employ a tapered (oblique) squish design, to improve thermal efficiency and reduce the chance of engine knock (pre-ignition). the squish area has been shaped obliquely along the wall surface of the combustion chamber, improving airflow, promoting swirl and speeding flame travel.
the combustion chambers are almost entirely machined, to ensure minimum variation in combustion chamber volume across the four cylinders. special attention has been paid to cooling the combustion chamber, including provision of a water jacket between the exhaust port and the spark plug boss, to lower the operating temperature at the exhaust valve seat and improve cooling performance.

service mass of the 1NZ-FE engine is 187 pounds.

the 1497cm3 power plant delivers a class-leading 80kW (107HP) at 6000rpm and 142Nm of torque at 4200rpm. it has 16 percent more power and four percent more torque than the superseded 1.5 litre Paseo sports car. the capacity increase to 1497cm3 has been achieved by increasing the stroke from 73 to 84.7mm. unique features of the scions are its variable back-pressure muffler and slightly longer exhaust valve opening duration.

SCION MANUAL TRANSMISSION SUITS VVT-i TORQUE
scion xA and xB has a five-speed manual transmission, to suit the class-leading performance of its VVT-i-equipped engines.

clutch diameter is 212mm and facing area is 199cm2. the clutch has a diaphragm spring turnover mechanism to improve operability. the hydraulic control system for the clutch has an integrated reservoir tank and master cylinder to save weight and under-bonnet space.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Jeez Grostec, but THAT was a mouthfull! Thanks man, I apreciate. What is the weight in Kg ? I actually picked up one of these engines from the floor. It is amazingly light. It also has a LOT of "stuff" that can be taken off to make it even lighter. I bought one this morning, done 20,000km, with all computor shit attached, for R7000 plus vat. The redrive experts have also been lined up to make a belt reduction unit for the engine. We live in exiting times. This is a truly modern engine, and has a proven reliable track record.
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi Boet,

Engine is 187Lbs divided by 2.2 equals 85 Kg.

100 Hp Rotax ULS is still only 63 5 Kg with all attachments so the aim will be to lose as close to 17 Kg as possible.
Negative is you will replace some weight with the redive.

What type of belt do you plan on using Toothed type or Polyvee type.
Reason I ask is that in the US the wheel has come full circle and some are going back to Polyvee but with more grooves so that there is better power transmission and slippage is greatly reduced.
Also give some thought to Torsional vibration. This is the most common reason toothed belts have their teeth sheared off.
Read a bit here it is very detailed.
http://www.epi-eng.com/propeller_reduct ... issues.htm

Keep us informed how you get along and how about some pics as you go along please.

Overall compared to price there will be nothing that comes close to this engine.
Even the infamous Volla costs more if you use brand new cases and parts.

Hoe se hulle "Alles reg altyd reg TOYOTA"

Kind Regards,

Gunter Rostek
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:31 am

Just a question from an ignoramous on this aspect. Why are chains not used on a redrive system. Semi enclosed or enclosed with litlle lubrication. Chains are so reliable on motorbikes at some serious speeds and endurance.

Just been thinking...........for a while now. :idea:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 am

Low Level wrote:Just a question from an ignoramous on this aspect. Why are chains not used on a redrive system. Semi enclosed or enclosed with litlle lubrication. Chains are so reliable on motorbikes at some serious speeds and endurance.

Just been thinking...........for a while now. :idea:
There are some chain redrives, but they tend to be very heavy, and require rubber couplers to damp torsional vibration (which adds even more weight). Belt redrives offer a certain amount of torsional damping, and can often be used without too much extra hardware.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Toothbelts only shed teeth, when you tamper with the weight of the flywheel. (FIST hand experience here!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ) The designer of any engine design a flywheel to dampen the spikes and troughs og the internal combustion engines power output. Loffie and I thought it would be a damn fine idea to shed some weight on the Volla`s flywheel, so we sommer made the flywheel SMALLER as wel. OK, so we lost some weight. Good. Exept that the torsional vibration dampening now had to be done by the teeth of the poor belt. Ouch. Belt did not like that at all. Makes strange noise when all of a sudden you only have half of the teeth left..........BUT, we learned from it!
I have nothing against Lycoming, Continental or Rotax. BUT for the price, and the running cost. I think we have some pretty handy and clever chaps on this forum, and if we pool knowledge and experience, we can make flying a LOT more affordable.
The Yaris cars a selling well, we will have LOTS of engines available. Toyotas are reliable cars. I am also looking at the 3 cy Yaris engine, for a replacement for the 582. 68 hp at 6000rpm. Makes one think, does`nt it? :wink:
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Looks like a very nice engine.

I wonder if it would be possible to dispose of the VVTI system, and hard wire it for high RPM running. Obviously have to push up the idle, and live with k@k low down performance, but should be fine for take-off and cruise.

I have an aversion to finicky little computer controlled bits on engines :twisted: ...

Maybe save a few kilos too?
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 am

It's very unlikely that you will be able to drop the mechanical bits of the VVTI and I have seen what a difference it makes in tuning similar engines using an aftermarket management system and employing the VVTI. There are several systems that will already run that engine without much hassle and use the VVTI bits. This for instance - a system that will run that motor will cost around R2500 and I trust them fully. Local boys too - http://www.perfectpower.com/products/standalone.asp#1
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:15 am

YA RIS is a very naais enjin ':- 8)

My daughter has the 1100 with the 3 cyl motor, amazing little engine even at reef levels.

Definately worth investigating
Greg Perkins
Carel
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Carel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Only problem seems to shave off some weight. Also investigating alternative engins (trike) and the new generation Suzuki engins are also an option. Lighter than the Yaris overall in general.
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:15 pm

What about an Isuzu KB150D motor? vhpy vhpy
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Many many moons ago, Aeronca marketed the C3, low-cost aerie, powered with a 2 cyl engine...... Then Piper brought out the Cub, powered by a 4 cyl engine. Favourite trick of the Piper salesmen was to disconnect one of the cyl`s spark-plug leads, then taking off on 3 cylinders, fly around the patch, and then daring the C3 drivers to do the same??? :wink:
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Boet, we have a very switched on Aluminum foundry (Sheffield Foundry) in our complex, they make products for our "Fast n Furious" countrymen, namely inlet manifolds, turbo mounts and also a inlet system for the Australian Aero engine conversion for the Isuzu. Years of experience available should you require a cast aluminum re drive housing, complete gearbox and so on, brackets etc.. They make a large range of products for Alpine developments which ship the states. They are always keen to discover a new market. So let me know if you require any input, you can send drawings in any format as we can read anything but Solid Works would be perfect. Failing that load the lot in a bakkie and come to KZN..warmer than the cape.

Nice project
Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..