Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Myr the little doors were designed by my son Vliegvark and then we had them Waterjetted and then assembled so there is no shop or website. If we have a plan we make it. Sometimes a good idea and sometimes not so good , but we carry on. These doors work very well and they are strategically placed so that the pre-flight is sensible.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Monty just phoned me to say the engineering department of the CAA is happy with the documentation of the Bushbaby Safari. As they work on flexitime at the CAA it is almost impossible to register and get the proving flight this afternoon but Monday should be the day. It has bee a long slog, 12 months to build the Bosvark and 3 months to do the paperwork but the new builders will benefit.

Cheers Oupa-G
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Been watching this thread fron the beginning.Montys News sounds good.Hope that proving flights meet all your expectations.Oupa I sent you a PM
Thumbs up
Big Mac
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:10 pm

Yeay at last...
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 pm

EEEEEEEEEEEEEHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (^^) (^^) (^^)
German
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby German » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:18 pm

To Oupa + Boet

(^^) (^^)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Without the whole Loeriesfontein team and the help of the Durbanville team it would not have been possible to do this project in such a short time. It is very time consuming to do so many different things. Now the exciting part the flying. With the 8.5 hrs taxi time some of it vertical there are no funny habits she is hands free neutral Matching the correct prop will take some testing. So far she is beyond expectations.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 pm

Fitted the GPS aerial connected the power to the landing light's new loom , makes removing and installing the cowling a non event. This will lead to better pre-flights and regular inspections. Also loaded the new navdata from MGL and I see that the "important Grootfontein "is in the data-base. I believe that very soon the first flight will take place from there. Anton was here today he is the owner of the second Safari we went through all the systems and made sure that he has all the fittings, he is going to Loeriesfontein next week with Tommy to wire and pipe Safari #2 they are spending a week up there and then the fuselage is coming to Durbanville. To morrow promises to be not so nice , I'm on RedX call so any flight will be ILS stuff. That is their to keep the old brain sharp.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:27 pm

When I last looked we were 4 short of 60000 hits . This evening I have a lot of pics for you . Will check with Monty on the paperwork. The weekend weather was not good for flying so it helped me staying legal, the vertical taxiing must now change to horizontal flying. Talk this evening .

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Was on call yesterday for the Red X and had to fly to Sishen to pick up a spinal injury. It was also my 646th voluntary flight for the Red X, I have been holding an ATP for many years and have never earned a penny with the rating, but the flying has been interesting and personally very rewarding, and it is also nice to know that your hobby can also be of value to the society. A youngster of 18 was involved in a motor vehicle accident no seat belts.. The spinal injuries take special care in the strapping onto the stretcher, also the weather was late afternoon with the CB's popping left right and centre. On the climb out we were fortunate with a little bit of left and right, and with the help of the weather radar and stormscope it was easy to pick a bumpy free ride , always a bonus if you are carrying a spinal injury. The rest of the flight at level 280 was uneventful. There were some very picturesque cloud scenes. I'm showing some. The noises from Gauteng are promising because they are asking for the radio station license of which I know that the receipt is in the file I sent them. And my test pilot papers are also in the post, finally things start to gel. Enjoy the pics and good night.

Oupa-G
Attachments
Soft white1.jpg
Some cloud formation
Climbing.jpg
Climbing through level 150 still climbing at 1000ft/min
Level280.jpg
Clear of most of the difficult white stuff and level at 280
Soft white2.jpg
Lovely cloud formation can be very ominous
Last edited by Oupa-G on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:34 am

What a fantastic topic this has been Sir !

Always one of the first topics I read, it has been so so interesting and informative, many thanks for your continual updating efforts.

Cheers ian
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

Dear Ian sometimes it has nothing to do with the Bosvark except that it is flying and that is what it is all about. When the real test flying begins I will mix my big aeroplane flying and my little aeroplane experience and therefore I promised to give accurate reporting.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Things are now really happening I've been told the paperwar was won thanks Monty it helps having somebody walking the papers. My licence is in the post from van Zyl aviation, I today collected the newly shaped under carriage, so the final little detail is coming together. The gear came out well and fits the template very well the spring guys really did their utmost. Even the toe-in is compensated for so I will be able to fit the axles without the usual spacers. I sent Anton the owner of the second Safari of to Loeriesfontein, his bakkie looks like a travelling workshop he has all my boxes with goodies, of most goodies I bought two of each. My spirit is high and I'm hoping for nice weather the coming weekend.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
newgear.jpg
newgear1.jpg
newgear2.jpg
Bossie
Slow starter

Postby Bossie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 am

More Oupa-G
Bly om te sien jy geniet nog die PC12. Voel soos nou die dag dat Hannes en ek 'n klomp "ou" manne van die Rooikruis se aanpassings gedoen het. Ek monitor al die afgelope paar weke die ontwikkelinge rondom die Safari aangesien 'n vriend en ek vroeg volgende jaar een wil kry. Sterkte met die toetsvlugte.
D
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:59 am

Bossie dankie as jy in die Kaap kom ,kom se hallo.

Miskien kan jy my bel en dan kan ons gesels jy kan via die R X my # kry ek hou nie darvan om dit oor die net te gee nie

Cheers Oupa-G