Third Party Cover

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Dickey
Looking at the sky

Third Party Cover

Postby Dickey » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

I recently cancelled my insurance cover on my trike and asked Dennis Jankelow for 3rd party cover only. On the form you must provide a membership number for Aero Club of South Africa. To be a member of Aero Club South Africa I was told you also have to be a member of a section, mine being Misasa.
I have some questions relating to this.

1. Why do I have to be a member of Aero Club to get 3rd party cover?
2. 3rd party cover is included in the fuel I buy, government has a levy included on the fuel. If this levy does not cover pilots we as pilots should be refunded for the cost thereof. The days of aircrafts only using avgas is long over.

Anybody that can shed some light on this?
>;(((
Dick van Dijk ZU-DXK
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Third Party Cover

Postby skybound® » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:23 am

Dickey wrote:1. Why do I have to be a member of Aero Club to get 3rd party cover?
2. 3rd party cover is included in the fuel I buy, government has a levy included on the fuel. If this levy does not cover pilots we as pilots should be refunded for the cost thereof. The days of aircrafts only using avgas is long over.
1 - Dont have to be - but is considerably cheaper than arranging your own cover. There is a group scheme that is offered by MISASA at a very favourable rate. DJ&A obviosuly trying to cover you on this group scheme - hence their question. You can ask them arrange a policy not linked for comparsison.

2 - Good question and did a bit of research on that a few years back. Bascically we have two hopes - Bob Hope and No Hope. :wink: At the time I did the research the farmers were going through their motions to have the same exemption based on the fact that the diesel the buy also contributed to the 3rd party (Road Accident Fund) and their tractors and agricultural machinery never touched the road - they just barely succeeded. The short conclusion I came to was that the volumes used by aviation are substantially less than agriculture and this alone would probably moot any motion for relief. Not to mention that we are recreation and not even an important industry like agriculture.