Let’s cut through the CR@P with facts please ...

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Let’s cut through the CR@P with facts please ...

Postby John Young » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 am

Hi,

Let’s cut through the CR@P with facts please.

==

How many times has it been posted – new crank R 30 000 to R 33 000 at 300 hours for a 582?

Fact – a short block costs R 25 000 plus labour. A new crank is R 6 500 plus labour - (plus / minus 10%)

==

No owner maintenance come 1 January 2008.

Fact – Owner maintenance can continue under supervision. Part (who cares) allows for this.

==

What other Parts (who cares) affects the private microlight trike pilot?

Fact – "NIX".

==

OK – correct me where I am wrong with facts please ....

Regards
John ZU-CIB
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 am

Crank issue - agreed.

I think that in many instances however that by the time 300 hours is up, the pistons etc are not within limits - well certainly not to get to 600 hours. This also depends on envrionment operated etc. So think that the worst case is being used where a short block may be the better option.

The maintenance bit says under direct supervision. In context of other parts of the CARS - supervision does seem to suggest some presence and the fact that the word direct was added seems to emphasise that even more. So even though you may be able to do it yourself, you will still have to have the AP close by when you change your spark plugs :wink: . Also you may find that some AME's/APs may not be willing to put their necks on the line and sign out our work.

I think that many an owner also did not do every single item on the maintenance schedule (like changing plugs at 25 hours, measuring tolerances etc) so there will be more work to be done even if under supervision of the AP. For them there will be a big change. If you did follow the schedule to the letter, then yes very little change other than adding a close by AP.
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:55 am

Another aspect is that the AP will have to check that each thing on the list has been done at the correct time. This adds tremendous paperwork load on the AP... and the owner. You will have to make entries of all work and keep receipts of all spares.

The AP will spend more time on the paperwork than on the inspection. This is not in the interest of safety, as parts are Non type certified. It would be much safer if an airworthiness inspection involves more physical inspection than paperwork.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:50 am

Fairy Flycatcher wrote: It would be much safer if an airworthiness inspection involves more physical inspection than paperwork.
and a motor start and power check up at the very least- i have had a/c ap`d with motors that dont even run correctly or safely- scared the hell out of me when i had a significant power loss after take off on a first flight directly after an a/p that had all the paperwork but not even a startup check for the a/p..... i would even support a test flight by the a/p.
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 pm

I am not going to get into a debate or discussion again here on Microlighters since I said I will not, but I happened to come across this as I was reading and trying to put my head around the rules for NTCA Amateur Build. Use it or Not. PART 43
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 pm

In Addition you need to read SECTON**2 with below: PART TECHNICAL STANDARDS - General Maintenance

I can see that I will be doing a lot of Emergency Maintenance :twisted: come Jan 2008
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi Rudi. Please explain what your interpretation is on these laws and why you quoted them here?

Remember that all laws are read together, and Part 24 only exempts Hang Gliders and Powered Paratrikes etc. from having approved maintenance schedules. Trikes HAVE to have one, and therefore we have to.

'Emergeny en-route maintenance' still has to be reported to an AME and you are limited to working on items as listed in the CATS. . Which AME will sign out work done without inspecting the aircraft / work. How does this affect the trike pilot in Springbok?

The paperwork trail for this new law is not in the interest of safety. How people will really record the serial number of each part you put on your aircraft? And why? They are not type certified, so nothing gets proven when they break... Except that insurance won't pay and CAA will fine you.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:49 pm

ICEMAN wrote:
Fairy Flycatcher wrote: It would be much safer if an airworthiness inspection involves more physical inspection than paperwork.
and a motor start and power check up at the very least- i have had a/c ap`d with motors that dont even run correctly or safely- scared the hell out of me when i had a significant power loss after take off on a first flight directly after an a/p that had all the paperwork but not even a startup check for the a/p..... i would even support a test flight by the a/p.
Engine run-up is a standard requirement of what has to be done during an inspection. There is a minium inspection list published in the CARS. Maybe Rudi can copy it here? I think the list is pretty good, and would like to see more AP's educated on it.

Don't quite know why the Aero Club AP sceme has not distributed it? I guess they expect all pilots / APs to have access to their own set of Law Books and know it backwards themselves?
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Refer to the opening post …

Postby John Young » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Refer to the opening post …
John Young wrote:What other Parts (who cares) affects the private microlight trike pilot?

Fact – "NIX".
skybound ® wrote:Crank issue - agreed.
Thought so – thanks. !!!!
Fairy Flycatcher wrote:How does this affect the trike pilot in Springbok?
Unfortunately quite heavily and for Kuruman and every other dorp too. But in a way, they always were affected – no AP in immediate proximity.

Without sounding like “I’m alright Jack – stuff you” – very little will change in my life.

Like most trike pilots, my maintenance (always under direct supervision) is meticulous and pedantically recorded in my log books. Receipts are filed and new parts are inspected by my AP before and after fitment. Log book is endorsed by AP as necessary.

That which I am not allowed to do (Annual Inspection) or that which I am not qualified / trained to do (Carburetor overall) is outsourced to my AP.

I have operated like this for 2 years already – so I see no need to have to change with the new laws. In fact then I have been compliant with the new laws even before they got promulgated. :roll:

Just shows you - When you cut out the CR@P and get to the facts.

Thanks all for the input. !!!!

Regards
John ZU-CIB
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:16 am

Trikes have to have a maintenance schedule and paratrikes don't? Explain the logic in that to me please? :?

Karretjies are much the same nowadays.

I would have thought a "parachute" requires more regular maintenance than a trike wing? Especially as you have to drag it on the ground behind you to inflate the frigging thing. :twisted:

Consequences of failure of both are the same............

I just cannot see how you can exempt one and not the other?

There seem to be a lot of inconsistencies in all this legislation and the cracks are merely being papered over instead of going back to fundamentals and thinking things through logically.

For instance, in my mind, there is no difference between a foot launched powered hang glider, a trike/"microlight" and a paratrike. They should be grouped as one class of aircraft and regulated accordingly.

My other concern is there does not seem to be an overriding strategy driving all these changes. What is the stated "raison d'être" of the "informal sector" of General Aviation? Surely if it is to promote a grassroots aviation culture then it should not be over regulated like the way it is going?

There also seem to be far too many personal agendas involved.

It also does not help that so many people sit on the fence and don't get actively organized to enable this part of the aviation community to speak with one democratic voice. You need to build it up the way you would build a political party. Each airfield is a branch with its pilot members nominating a representative to a regional organization and so on up to your national level. If MISASA was supposed to be that organization then I never got that impression while I was flying in SA. It was just something that I had to belong to and they gave me insurance as part of the package.

Anyway enough ranting from me - time for work. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solowings Aquilla
32-4817
White Gum Farm, Western Australia
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

1 January 2008 is heading for a non-event

Postby John Young » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 am

Cloud Warrior wrote:Trikes have to have a maintenance schedule and paratrikes don't? Explain the logic in that to me please?
Hi CW,

PPG’s are largely unregulated. Legally, you require a restricted radio licence if you wish to TX - but that’s all.

You can go buy a PPG and jump off any logically convenient mountain (with or without instruction). :shock:

There are of course schools that offer the full Monty – it’s an individual’s choice.

===XX===

But, back to the TOPIC with facts please.

1 January 2008 is heading for a non-event for the amateur trike pilot who wishes to carry on maintaining his / her trike under supervision. !!!!

This fact has not been challenged or corrected yet – thank goodness (and our experts have "spoken"). :wink:

Regards
John ZU-CIB
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Just to clarify “my stand” a bit further …

Postby John Young » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:02 am

Just to clarify “my stand” a bit further …

We are aware that –

o many sections of the new regulations are in complete conflict with each other, :?
o home builders are being dealt confusing blows, :x and
o microlight schools may receive more regulation, :roll: but

The point of this thread was to determine the affects for an amateur trike pilot. !!!!

Regards
John ZU-CIB
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:54 am

John, I think you are most definitely in the minority. There are very few that change their spark plugs at the (1 Jan 2008) mandatory 25 hours, let alone re-gap them at 12,5 hours.

Yes, if you have been doing items like this AND you have an AP willing to let you do you own maintenance under his direct supervision - then yes I agree - zero change for you.
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Thanks Skybound - That settles it then

Postby John Young » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 am

skybound ® wrote:Yes, if you have been doing items like this AND you have an AP willing to let you do you own maintenance under his direct supervision - then yes I agree - zero change for you.
Thanks Skybound – That settles it then. !!!!

Like I said, I don’t want to appear that “I’m alright Jack – stuff the rest”, but I would be surprised if more trike owners didn’t follow this route. I don’t feel like I’m in the minority - many of my flying buddies are just as pedantic and meticulous.

A line maintenance course could go a long way towards filling any gaps in knowledge.

For info., my AP has been working on, flying and instructing on Windlass and Aquilla trikes for 16+ years.

As for the guys that don’t have an AP nearby or refuse to use one for whatever reason, nothing will change for them either.

Regards and fly safe.
John ZU-CIB
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 am

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:Hi Rudi. Please explain what your interpretation is on these laws and why you quoted them here?
<SNIP>
Annie, you managed to conveniently miss the :twisted: in my post, indicating Twisted Evil Smile. I am not getting drawn into a debate with you again.