Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

What MISASA is up to...

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Guys,

Me, being a member of MISASA, have been throwing stones at MISASA that they don't communicate enough. :shock:
Well Guess what, I got the job in the interim last week Wednesday. :P
I have been added to the MISASA committee email group and will post something here every so often, what is happening in the background that you don't often see or hear from. :?

So what I would like to do, with your permission is to tell you what the guys at MISASA is up to, for the current members, potential members and just for the people that want to know.

Just one rule for this topic so far, MY topic, My Rules! :twisted:
1) Please don't get into a Bashing exercise in this topic, there is enough other threads going on about that on the forum! This is NOT it or I will stop posting! OK?

Good :lol:

Thank you,
Kind Regards
Rudi

PS: I posted this in the "Commercial, Clubs and Official Section" under "MISASA, Aero Club, CAA and legislative issues" because I could not find a better place, if you guys feel it does not fit here then Moderators please move it to the correct place.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

MISASA website

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 am

OK let's start with something simple, something I know a lot about :D ... the part 24 issue thing I will post later about :twisted:

MISASA Website:
We are currently working on refreshing and rehashing the MISASA website. The current one is a bit outdated. I am part of this.

We are thinking to make it a bit more interactive, move away from the static content that gets outdated in a year or two. It's aim is to interact better with members and update the content.

This means in future you will be able to see "What MISASA is up to" on their own website, in stead of piggy backing on a great forum like Microlighters.

We have some very good ideas, working with some very excited members, but if you have some good website ideas for MISASA PM me, and we might use it.

The target date for release is early next year.

Kind Regards
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:57 am

National Colours - Report 2007

The South African Microlight team consisted of 16 team members, competed in the 11th World Microlight Championships, held from the 18th to the 25th August 2008 at Usti nad Orlici in the Czech Republic. The team entered 3 aircraft into the RWL 1 class (single seater trikes) and 6 aircraft into the RWL 2 class (two seater trikes).

In total there were 71 aircraft from 15 countries.

In the overall results the South African team was placed 5th but in the RWL team scores the South African team was placed 3rd.

The best scoring South Africans were Roy and Marc Gregson who were placed 2nd in the RWL 2 class.

This is the details of the team with the aircraft and final positions. The team leader was Robert Gooch.

Here are some pictures:
The SA Team

The Winners ;-)

All the Aircraft
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:03 pm

So where can we buy "replica" SA team flight suits?
Solowings Aquilla
32-4817
White Gum Farm, Western Australia
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:05 pm

Microlight commission of the FAI meeting

Robert Gassmann attended the CIMA (microlight commission of the FAI) meeting in Switzerland this past week. CIMA looks after the sporting codes, world records, awards, continental and world championships for microlights and PPG.

He has just arrived back, so I will report back with more on that when we get more info from him.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Cloud Warrior wrote:So where can we buy "replica" SA team flight suits?
Ja I also thought it looked cool, apparently the sleeves can be zipped-off for a summer suite. Now the question remains, you want to official one or the pirate version that is sold on the street corner? :twisted: :wink:
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:44 pm

PART 61 - Pilot Licensing: Released for comment

Hi Guys CAA has released their proposed CAR PART 61 - Pilot Licensing for comment.

Here is some useful/useless information:
AVIATION LEGISLATION IN SOUTH AFRICA is contained in 3 Volumes. 3 BIG Blue binders.

The CARS = Civil Aviation Regulations. It is contained in Volume 2.
The CATS = Civil Aviation Technical Standards. It is contained in Volume 3.

Anycase CAA asked for comment on the Pilot Licensing portion:
It is proposed to change Regulations 61 to incorporate essential additions as recommended by the FAA and ICAO representatives that reviewed the proposed regulations prior to submission to the Minister as well as to incorporate corrections to errors and omissions.
Why is it applicable to US??? Well because the following licenses are discussed:
- MICROLIGHT AEROPLANE PILOT LICENCE
- COMMERCIAL MICROLIGHT AEROPLANE PILOT LICENCE
- GRADE I MICROLIGHT AEROPLANE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR RATING
- GRADE II MICROLIGHT AEROPLANE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR RATING

MISASA is looking at it, if you have comments let MISASA know.

OR send it directly to CAA if you prefer ... before or on the 1st of December 2007, to Mr. Herman Wildenboer. His e-mail address is: wildenboerh@caa.co.za.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm

PART 62 - Recreational Pilot Licensing

Well it is almost here, if you have been sleeping under a rock :P, The Recreational Pilot License is one that will fall between Microlight and PPL.

It is suppose to 'mimic' the USA Sport Pilot license, an area which had huge growth potensial and is rejuvinating the aviation industry in USA.

MISASA is taking this on and looking after it as well, cause I think (my opinion) it is a natural progression for MPL pilots to grow into it.

Anycase the MISASA members has been working tirelessly to get a working PART 62 - Recreational Pilot Licensing document in place.

The idea is, current thinking, that we lobby it to be phased in over 2 years. This will allow for pilots enough time to renew their licences and allow instructors and flying schools enough time to get up to speed with Part 62. I hope this will happen.

MISASA and company is also suggesting to CAA a Roadshow to mayor centers around SA to introduce it.

I am telling you this early, so we will just hope and cross fingers it turns out this way. I'd rather tell you early, so that you know the guys are working at it, we will see how it pans out.

Regards
Rudi
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:22 pm

You're the boss Rudi.
in stead of piggy backing on a great forum like Microlighters.
Not bashing but why bother with a website? If I want to know what is happening in microlight circles I come here. In GA I go to AVCOM. Why not use this forum as it is?? Maintaining a website that not many people will be interested in seems like a bit of a waste of energy (that would be better used in some other area??)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:30 pm

Well done,

Could you maybe just pop a web update notice here as you progress?

Thanks,
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Griffin wrote:You're the boss Rudi.
in stead of piggy backing on a great forum like Microlighters.
Not bashing but why bother with a website? If I want to know what is happening in microlight circles I come here. In GA I go to AVCOM. Why not use this forum as it is?? Maintaining a website that not many people will be interested in seems like a bit of a waste of energy (that would be better used in some other area??)
Hi Griffen,

Microlighters.co.za is independent, and I think it should be that way, not associated directly to any organisation. Microlighters.co.za is just the place everyone is welcome. Some people would not like to join MISASA for what ever reason, and hence stay away. It would be great to get microlighters.co.za under the MISASA banner, but to be fair I don't think that will happen. :wink:

MISASA has a duty as an organisation to inform and keep information available for MPL and soon Sport Pilots. This is not always easily presentable in a forum. Think about new potential pilots that want information about how to get involved etc etc. Hence MISASA needs it's own web presence.

The current MISASA website does not lend itself to be very interactive, something I, and other exciting members, want to change.

I hope it makes sense....

Regards
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Delta VV wrote:Well done,

Could you maybe just pop a web update notice here as you progress?

Thanks,
Hi Delta VV,

That is the idea, until MISASA's new website is operational.

Regards
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:29 pm

MISASA 2008 FEES = R205 incl VAT

MISASA had to submit their 2008 Membership fee structure to Aeroclub.
Expect MISASA Membership Fees for 2008 to be R205 inclusive of VAT, up from R195 for 2007.
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:58 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:
Cloud Warrior wrote:So where can we buy "replica" SA team flight suits?
Ja I also thought it looked cool, apparently the sleeves can be zipped-off for a summer suite. Now the question remains, you want to official one or the pirate version that is sold on the street corner? :twisted: :wink:
Hello guys

I have one of those babies! Not a SA one... :twisted: , but one that was made by the same people.

The company is called "Airwear". I think they are on the internet. They will send you a "measurement page" which you just return and then they custom make it. :wink:

I paid a bit more and have the option to zip-on or off my sleaves.
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for taking this on Rudi, with your IT skills and experience with NTCA I think this thread will be a good source for up to date information. Just hope that it stays on topic :roll:
Nottaquitta