Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Slow down Rudi - you are gonna burn out before your term is up :lol: :wink:

Great start Sir.

For your web, probably a content management system like Joomla or Mambo would be the way to go. That way makes it easier for others to add content without flooding the webmaster with update requests.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:00 am

skybound ® wrote:Slow down Rudi - you are gonna burn out before your term is up :lol: :wink:

Great start Sir.

For your web, probably a content management system like Joomla or Mambo would be the way to go. That way makes it easier for others to add content without flooding the webmaster with update requests.
Skybound, Ditto, but lots of communication to catch up on, will post Misasa AGM draft minutes later today/tomorrow...some very interesting reading. Gives a good overview what happened, did not happen the past year and what is planned.

Ditto on content management system for website, we are looking at it. It needs to be simple, for someone/all to take forward when I burn out :twisted: :wink:

Regards
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Team Scores

Postby LarryMcG » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:41 am

RG

Not sure where the confusion comes from, but the SA team was awarded the cup for second place in the weightshift catergorie at the WMC.

We have the cup, with writing on it, to prove this. As I say, I dont know where the cofusion comes from?
LM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris van Eeden
Signed up at flight school

Postby Chris van Eeden » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 pm

The reason nobody seems to get the final positions right is because the offical Czech website's webmaster went home early and never posted the final scores & positions.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I was going to post the AGM minutes, but they want to add some more detail, so we will have to wait...

MISASA secures www.sportplane.co.za and www.lightsportplane.co.za

Since I am part of the 'NEW' MISASA website team it was very important that we catch new entrants in the market.
New guys don't know who MISASA is, so they won't type that into their browser, so it makes sense to register the common domain names that relate to MISASA, and redirect them to the right place.

I tried to negotiate with the person that owns www.microlight.co.za who is not utilising it currently, but I have had not had any success yet.

Regards
Rudi
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi Rudi........

Thanks for telling us what MISASA has been up to while 'Rome was burning' :lol:

Please can you elicit a response from MISASA/Aero Club about the current deplorable state that Aero Club has allowed us into......

3 issues:

1. All pilot licences become null and void on 1 Jan 2008. Part 62 is quite clear on the requirements to maintain a current and valid licence, and that is that you have to belong to an ARO..........There is no ARO to belong to...........

2. All current authorities to fly, for aircraft with Rotax 2 stroke engines, and which have exceeded 150hours without the obligatory strip down , will become redundant..........

3. All pilots are prohibited from working on their own planes.
(Please don't quote your earlier post as an answer to this question. Yes, I know that pilots can do basic maintenance en route this means while undertaking a journey. Furthermore, the law also is quite clear on the fact that only an AMO or AME can directly supervise you. AP's not even mentioned- what a 'gemors' hey..........

4. And this one for the training schools, whose aircraft have to be AP'd every 25 hours........Who is going to AP them? Besides the fact that no AP is going to sign them out, the fact is that the AP needs to be a commissioner approved AP (see part 96). the administrative procedure to acquire this status does not exist.

These are just 4 of the absolutely critical issues that are NOT SEEN to be addressed.......Me thinks them to be of far more importance than tinsel dressing the ol' christmas tree :wink:

And by the way, well done for stepping in and doing something........so many folk just chirp. Thanks.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:51 am

David, David, David,

My topic had just one rule so far and you had to go break it. :P
RudiGreyling wrote:<SNIP>
So what I would like to do, with your permission is to tell you what the guys at MISASA is up to, for the current members, potential members and just for the people that want to know.

Just one rule for this topic so far, MY topic, My Rules! :twisted:
1) Please don't get into a Bashing exercise in this topic, there is enough other threads going on about that on the forum! This is NOT it or I will stop posting! OK?
<SNIP>

Please go throw stones in another topic. :evil:
I am not the back and forth communication lea son, when I get a bit of time I report on what is happening in the background @ MISASA.
If I see something related to your questions, and deem it ready to post here I will.

You have Mike's contact details, contact him yourself to find out, and then open your own topic.

PS: At least we have a X-mas tree to dress up :twisted:
Regards
Rudi
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:58 am

Nice Rudi. Good luck and enjoy it...
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am

Sorry Rudi.

Not bashing. Please read my last line again. I am sincere.

Was just hoping to give you some pointers re critical issues. These topics are what the people would like to believe that MISASA is doing something about......

You did also say " for potential members"......Addressing these issues is what will win MISASA some noddy points.....

You are wellcome to move my post elswhere....I just don't know what section to write in any-more........

By the way, your post is also in the wrong section.........I think it should be in Hangar Talk.

If you read the rules for this page, you will agree :wink:

We are all trying to achieve the same ends......

Good luck, and thank you once again......

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
mike2flyfar
Ready for the first flight

Postby mike2flyfar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:33 pm

I don't know what is going on here ... I cannot fathom out the motivation for the posts.

I am on a course this week so I must be brief:

David, you and I had a chat on the phone last week and I told you we are talking to the CAA tomorrow about the implementation of Part 62 (licencing). You even wrote your suggestions to me !! This from your mail

"That's all I can think of that is urgent at this point in time.
Thanks for driving it.
Later,
David"

You are working on the amendments to Part 24 aren't you? Last week I asked you to send them to me to check and so far I haven't received a thing apart from the letter to Neil that you copied me. I called Neil this afternoon and he was not at work last week and his mail has been down since yesterday ... but up till then nothing either. You were at the meeting in the auditorium and you are the one driving the amendments ... I will be the one to get them through CARCOM etc with Neil. Let me know if I can help.

If you have a question, give me a call and during tea break I will call you back and update you if I can any more than you know already ... and then you can post something here about what we are all working on.

Lets be positive ... there are a bunch of us working our hearts out to try and sort these issues out and we need support.

Mike
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 am

DRAFT - MISASA AGM minutes 2007-10-13

Hi Guys,

I got the last little bit and ready to post the minutes. You can download it from here so long for now, until it is uploaded to the official MISASA website. It is well worth a read to see what has been happening.

A Couple of extracts I found interesting:
Chairman's report:
MISASA has had a very busy year, with lots of successes, but there is still a lot to do. Success have been achieved in reducing serious accidents, sorting out many regulations, hosting a number of national events and competitions among other things
Finance report:
I am happy to report on a very positive 2006, mainly because we managed to finalize/resolve and close most of the outstanding creditors and debtors queries from the previous years. Despite the net expense of R 54'000.00 (consulting fees ARO/Manuals/Rent/ Salaries/Old Magazine Expenses), I am glad we finally can go forward without unresolved financial issues. <SNIP>
Finally, I would like to thank the committee for their effort in curbing expenses and would like all members to understand the surplus for the year was only possible because committee members have paid their expenses out of their own pockets.
Training and Licencing report:
The MISASA licencing and training portfolio has been substantially reduced since the SACAA has taken over all licencing of new microlight instructors.

The main work done this year was to tidy up and complete PART 62 (personnel licencing) and PART 96 (commercial use of non type certified aircraft). This has been dragging on for 10 years now – the CARS and CATS were first promulgated in 1997. A big thank you to the chairman, Mike Blyth who put in a lot of work and facilitated this. The completed drafts are available to anyone interested.
<SNIP>
THE FUTURE: There is no doubt that microlighting and in particular the Light Sport Plane industry is growing. MISASA and Aeroclub have a pivotal role to play. We are a vibrant, dynamic, growing sector of aviation.
Safety report:
This year has just about reached its final stages and compared to other years I am pleased to give some very positive feedback:

On a monthly basis I call on the accident investigators at CAA and supply feedback from “our “ data, comparing it with theirs.

I have strived to make reporting accidents and incidents a lot easier this year – by assisting with the necessary paperwork, reports and all the other paraphernalia that goes with it all, and as can be seen it seems as if more incidents / accidents are being reported. This year to date 61 incidents / accidents have been reported out of a number of 2522 “Microlights “
Development report:
The development day on 31 March held at Microland was held in conjunction with the National Youth Development Trust, as a demonstration of the tremendous spirit that exists within microlighters. 62 children from previously disadvantaged communities enjoyed their first flights, and the beaming smiles upon landing made it all worthwhile.
AND many more good and not so good stuff, openly written about.

Regards
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:28 am

CD with Radio Calls

Rowena Kraidy (Tecnhical) had this to say on the MISASA email group:
We also have a cd which has all the radio calls for manned and unmanned procedures which our students can listen to in their cars, so that it becomes second nature. Since we have been using these, the quality of radio work has gone up by 300%.
She has a couple. They go for R156. Together with overnight postage it will cost R200. Please let her know if you want one: 0(EIGHT)3 3(ZERO)6 99(EIGHT00

Regards
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 am

THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED - I AM MOVING ALL POSTS to the CORRECT PLACE

Go Here:
viewforum.php?f=22
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: What MISASA is up to...

Postby alanmack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi,

Would a Microlighters Administrator please unlock this topic so that pilots are able to comment and bend my ear on any information provided.

Just to let you have a brief "heads up" on what MISASA is up to I will post a comment here every few months. The whole "MISASA does nothing thing" has a habit of coming and going and really it is about offering opportunities for all to help and about letting you all know who is doing what? It is important moan when you feel the urge as maybe there is a crack in the plan that you may wish to fill and believe me, we need help - you cannot believe how much time being your voice with bureaucracy, the public, pilots etc takes.

When someone has an axe to grind or just sounds off - PLEASE - allow the space needed for grins and for growls. Usually when you have unpacked the matter raised, often emotionally, on the forums, there is a lesson to learn. Rudi did a great job of keeping this thread alive and I have now taken over communications as well as the magazine as Rudi has exhausted his available time. If anyone wants to help I will be happy to have you on the team.

PLEASE - HAVE A GO - RAISE IT HERE - SO THAT WE CAN KEEP A CONVERSATION GOING - MANY FEEL THAT THE WWW.MISASA.CO.ZA WEBSITE DOES NOT SUPPORT CONVERSATIONS - I AGREE - IT IS AN INFORMATION PORTAL - THIS IS A BLOG - RAISE YOUR MATTERS HERE - HOPEFULLY OTHERS WILL HELP ANSWER THEM

So, here is a run down of what is on the go.

- Contact: The contact details for committee members is on the tab COMMITTEE - see the home page.

- Competitions: Mervyn and Shaun ran a great Starters Masters competition at Petit - the next mag has the story. They are busy buying another 10 data loggers to support the call for competition equipment from various clubs around the country. MISASA now has over a dozen data loggers so if you need to use them or need ideas and kit to host a competition in your province/area/club- phone Mervyn or Shaun.

- Events: For detail on the Wild Coast Gaggle fly away in June see Donald's personal aviation website at: www.weboonline.com/donald/ plus the Mozambique tour kicks off later this week - they are flying to 14 airfields see the airfields on Donald's website. Noel is feeding me items to put on the www.misasa.co.za website and if you would like an event posted please email me at nemo@webo.co.za Why not host one? Have you flown a LANDRACER - Noel is working on an event where you can give one a spin. If you want to help contact Noel. Noel is brand new on the committee and is a fine example of what and how you can help.

- World Champs: Rob McFie with the support of others is progressing us hosting a World Microlight Championship in 2013 at Springs with all hands on deck to get the huge sponsorship that is needed.

- Challenges: These come and go. We need to go "toe to toe" with the various authorities and with our own members on a regular basis > believe it or not the authorities are not always wrong! The current "debacle" is about the possible new requirement for an AP to test fly your plane before an AP is issued. If you want to help on this one it is a huge time gobbler but hey! > do we need this > please contact Rowena (Deon also helps here in his off time - it's got to do with LOVE!) They have many meetings that you can attend or people to see so that we move this mountain. Just think of how much your AP will cost if this goes through. Insurance for the AP's life who will want your plane insured also > These are but a few things that will boost the cost - never mind the extra time and whether or not you want your plane flown by others.

- Answering questions - phew! necessary and important but which few enjoy: A number of us share this load: If someone has an hour to two to spare a day, week or month we can use any help. egs Do I need an LSA licence to fly a Bush Baby, Foxbat etc Answer: Depends on the ATF specified MTOW - if over 600kgs > PPL if not LSA. How much do I need to learn to fly? Answer see the tab Learn to Fly Microlights on the website. How do I pay my fees? Why must I be a member? Ok you got the idea!

- Development: Yes, BEE has arrived and it is now a formal government requirement. We have had a programme in place for a number of years with the National Youth Development Trust and are ahead of the game re other Aero-Club sections but some like the Modeling section are doing a great job that we can learn from. This is a very rewarding portfolio so if you would like to lend Donald a hand please contact him - it is very much more than taking people for flips - in fact we are trying to limit this as much as possible.

- Safety: Alex and Mike attend every accident scene to ensure that the official investigators get the right sport specific experience that they need to formulate the correct impressions and accident reports. Here help from around the country would be great. You could even help with spending a day a week at the CAA. It would make a difference to many.

- Training: Mmmm... do you know how much paperwork and heart ache cheating on the exams takes to sort out plus the questions need to be checked by someone who actually knows what an MPL?LSA? plane is! It has recently been agreed that you do not need to have a percentage of student pilots to fail. Rather you need sound exams and an examination process and if all pass that is fantastic! Sounds simple - anyone want to help attend the meetings to keep it that way? Calling all educationalists! Here is your chance to spend your week-ends productively so that our team can have the odd week-end off. Go on phone Deon for I'm sure that you do not coach soccer every afternoon?

- Treasurer: Ok take your hats off - reconciling the bank account is a nightmare! More than half the deposits start as being anonymous donations! Here is a good cause you can devote to that pastime for your annual leave or for that odd late night - phone Brett if you want to help - he will faint! Did you know that half the membership do not supply an eMail address - I suppose they believe that we have nothing of interest to tell them - if you believe that to be the case then they do not need to be contacted - if you do - we need your help.

- PRO: Here's a fun one - join the Snake Team and go fly at airshows or join the ground crew and be a VIP where ever you go. If you believe that this portfolio is all play and no work then phone Jay he will have an Oddball or two for you to kick about whilst having the time of your life!

- MEETINGS: I am told that when you retire you miss going to meetings? Anyone with this problem need only know that the membership will be eternally grateful. I have been to many meetings that never take less than three hours for absolutely necessary matters to be resolved. These meetings with a variety of officials have a common thread of never having a defined agenda, with attendees not empowered to take required decisions but hey, can you imagine what decisions could be taken if there was no fly on the wall! Seriously, people like Braam Hechter at the CAA are making a difference and we all should support those that are, really, in it for " what's right" rather than " who's right." You get no medals for this job but know that we attend these meetings on your behalf! If you want the detail, please attend a MISASA Committee meeting. They are held at the Aero Club every quarter. If you do attend you will get VIP treatment and you will be given your choice of portfolio to assist with. Truly we will give you what you want - ask anyone that has done so - they have never been allowed to go home empty handed! If you want to help and live outside Gauteng we will fly you in to meetings, we will tea and biscuit you all night whilst we deliberate solutions and see that you get collected at the airport and that you have a place to stay for the night. We can even guarantee that the work that you do will go largely unnoticed but we can guarantee that none of your time, not one secound, will be wasted and or not give you tremendous satisfaction for when the pain sets in, there are no contracts, you can leave immediately, for we appreciate that which you can offer - when you can - and when.

- FINALLY - the magazine: I'll keep it short - the plan on the table requires the content to be in at the end of this month and every three months thereafter. It has never happened! We have less than 5% of a mag on hand for the next one. Promises need to be followed up on - adverts need to be secured - goodies need to be collected and finally - you could even use those long lost valuable skills like enveloping! Seriously can someone not help with securing scribes to replace the work done by John Boucher in the Free State - he has moved to Mossel Bay. The tourism authority in the Free State want to promote microlighting in the Free State and neither John nor I can get information. We need a farmer that wants to try their hand at reading and writing! Come on the Bethlehem airshow and other events are really well attended and are enjoyed - there must be at least one Free State person that wants to join the communications team. I do believe that someone who went to Grey College must have learnt to read and write sufficientlty well for someone who went to Queens College to fix it! Ha, Ha! Smile lads and volunteer. This said, what about the Northern Cape and Limpopo > if you are not reading about your area in the magazine > it is because we do not hear from you.

Ok, so that's my first round up on what we have on our plates. Your turn ..... To the Committee.... please feel free to nudge me on what's been left off?

Fly safe
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: What MISASA is up to...

Postby alanmack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Matters receiving attention:

No owner-supervised maintenance.

This was addressed about a year ago. It has gone through CARCOM and been signed by Minister but there has been a problem getting it promulgated.

It remains work-in-progress until promulgated.

The matter relating to the requirement for a rated test pilot to sign off an aircraft after any maintenance - this matter too is receiving attention.

The third matter receiving attention is the finalisation of the ARO.

Remember the SA Champs - 7 to 12 September in Heidelberg
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!