Part24: Approved Maintenance schedules

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi Rudi

No problem, did not read your post as arguing. :lol: Those that know me in my part of the world know I am always up for a good argument if it was. :wink:

An argument for me is worthwhile as long as it remains constructive - probably more like debating - as it forces you to explore all avenues. I often argue if there is something I am trying to gain a better understanding of - but one must be able to keep and open mind and sometimes that is the bit that is most difficult.

Also as long as it is the ball that is played and not the player - argue away. Arguments can often lead to progress too. :lol:

Anyway back to this issue. My jury is hung :wink:
African Grey
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby African Grey » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:20 am

Seems the AMO's (some) are on the Bandwagon.....

Kuruman pilot quoted R26000 for "Parts" only for a 582 overhaul (not carbs)....! He would still be in for VAT, Labour, shipping and downtime...CRAZY.....!

The full overhaul kit, crank, gaskets, pistons etc is approx R14 000. With motor searate from the a/c, the overhaul should not take more than a full day....!

I've "overhauled" 5 x 582's over the years at approx 450hrs each. We replaced rings, main bearings gaskets, inspected the cranks etc, all are over the 600hr mark now and running well.

As pilots, we've got to be able to do as much maintenence ourselves as possible. If the pilot is not competant or comfortable, then....sure use an apporved person...but AMO's should be smiling at the thought of things to come.

This will keep the costs down and flying afforadable unless you can afford a 912, our sport, is dead and buried. :cry: :cry: :cry:
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi folk.

At this point, most manufacturers share similar timex' on cables and tubes and wing fabric etc.,

I am happy to go with them for now. We are very,very short on time to make huge changes.

Without further study, and without prejudice, my opinion is that the airframe requirements are not 'unreasonable'.

So for now, I am not going to try to change these to. But, you know, I have seen NEW wings with kinks in their flying wires, from being packed badly.... So, at the end of the day, it STILL is the owner and AP's responsibility to only fly the plane if it is in Airworthy condition. Still lots of education necessary here..........NEW does not mean or guarantee AIRWORTHY! (only 1 exclamation, thanks John :wink: )

Anyway, I am digressing here.

Back to the engine. Here my comments are based on the Rotax 503 and 582's, as I am certain they make up more than 90% of the microlight trike market.........

I am in favour of an amended engine maintanance schedule, based on experience and proven flight records.

I don't know how successful we will be in asking the commissioner to remove the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE from the laws. I don't know how we will motivate this in the interest of safety.

I would like to change the maintenance schedule, but, the problem is that there are many engines out there, and the revised law must take all these motors into consideration.

So, I don't believe "on condition", without guidelines, is the answer. I also don't believe that submitting a revised Rotax schedule is the answer, as this does not cover the other engine types, and does not look to the future.

tomorrow I will post a detailed description of how I propose rewording the CAR's.

This simple rewording will allow owners to do own maintenance, will remove absolute adherence to the maintenance schedule as obligatory etc.,

Till tomorrow.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi folk.

I wrote to Rob Hill in the UK. Remember, he was our chairman (misasa), before he left to work full time for the British Microlight Association as the Chief Technical Officer.

He is doing just fine, and the lucky bugger now owns a GT450...

Anyway, I asked Rob what the UK regulations are for the two issues we are voting on.

Herewith his reply.........

Hi David,

Great to hear from you again.

On your two questions:

1. Yes, the Owner is wholly responsible for doing the maintenance. Inspectors (equivalent to Approved Persons) are NOT allowed to do the maintenance for them unless they act as private individuals. Inspectors are NOT allowed to sign of any maintenance work using their Inspector Number (AP No.). The Permit To Fly (same as Authority To Fly) states quite clearly that the owner is responsible for maintaining his aircraft in an airworthy condition. The Inspector is there to just verify that it has been done, verify the legal compliancy and paperwork, and examine the condition, life and origin of parts.

2. We treat all Rotax engines used on microlights as 'uncertified' but there is a general acceptance that sticking to the Rotax service intervals is sensible. However, historically maintenance was done 'on condition'. Now, if the recommended service intervals are exceeded, I am asking all inspector's to check that the owner has put together a 'safety case' that justifies his decision to deviate from the Rotax recommendations. e.g. to extend the crankshaft life the engine is well maintained, frequently run, properly hangared, decoked regularly, wear and bearing play checked etc. The CAA here have never insisted on mandating the Rotax recommendations unless the Aircraft Maintenance Manual requires it. Basically the Aircraft manufacturer's requirements take precedence over the Engine manufacturer's.

I have given Neil de Lange a copy of my recently published Standard Inspection Guidelines for Microlight Aircraft (SIGMA) that explains this. Ask him if he's read it.

Best regards to you and Annie - you're a great pair.

Rob
I do not think that Neill has read it, or if he has he had forgotten. I will ask him.

The reason I say this is that at the meeting Annie and I had with him he asked which countries had set precedent in only using the maintenance schedule as guidance.

I am now going to try to find out what the case is in Australia and New Zealand.

All in all I am confident that we are on the right track to achieve our goals.

Regards.
David Daniel
African Grey
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby African Grey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Howsit Dave....
For Australia try

Len Birger

Microlight Pilot Instructor Australia & South Africa Members of: Central Coast Tourism Inc. & Hang Gliding Federation of Australia
Microlight Adventures Central Coast N.S.W.

P.O. Box 5243
Erina Fair
N.S.W.
2250 Australia

microfly@bigpond.net.au

www.microlight.net.au
tel/fax/mobile: +(61) 0404 808 853

regards
Russ
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:26 am

Great! Exactly who I will be contacting. Thanks Grey..............

Regards.
David Daniel