Misasa Chairman 2013 Resigns

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Misasa Chairman 2013 Resigns

Postby Bundy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Dear Members, please take note of the following important Notice, which I have been asked to post on behalf of the Committee:

This note serves to confirm that the MISASA Chairman, Herman Dormehl has tendered his resignation as both Chairman and Committee member of MISASA. The Committee and I, on behalf of the membership of MISASA, thank Herman for his committed contribution to MISASA and we all wish him well.

Given the short notice and as required in terms of the ARO guidelines, (Aircraft Recreational Organisation), the MISASA committee called an immediate meeting and elected an acting Chairman until a new Chairman can be elected.

I, as the past Chairman, have agreed to step back into the chair as acting Chairman until elections can be held. These elections need to take place before the end of February 2013. For the membership; the committee and I will ensure that there will be no impact on MISASA at all.

Yours Sincerely,

Donald Hicks,
Acting Chairman
Misasa
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Misasa Chairman 2013 Resigns

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm

:?: :?:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi Alan,

There is I see a notice on the MISASA web site that sets out the voting procedure for the new chairman and publications member.

We had a big fight to get FUNDI in a way that you could actually inform your members by email of important events like proposing and voting in new committee members.

Do you not think you should inform your members of this (rather unusual) voting procedure on Microlighters?

Might there not be some other candidates our members might want to propose for these positions if they were given the chance?

You do not need another incident like you had on the Microlighters vote in December when there was disagreement regarding the last FUNDI vote when Alan MacKenzie and I resigned.

I notice that this vote is even more complex - why the secrecy? I am sure everybody would like to be able to understand the process and participate!!

You have the means to inform the members, please use it.

Herman Dormehl
nothing new to add.......
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:25 am

Hello Herman,

Please just correct your posting....
hermand wrote:There is I see a notice on the MISASA web site that sets out the voting procedure for the new chairman and publications member.
Herman, this is certainly not the first time you have seen this notice, as you have already spread your conspiracy theories re this to us on the committee, CAA, RAASA, as well as members of the press? The three last ones having absolutely nothing to do with Misasa's Governance?
We also had an unknown (to some) new user called "WellFire" spam the same notice mentioned all over this forum in what is clearly an attempt to raise a platform for whatever reason.Why dont you stop insinuating misconduct and conspiracy and just state your case in "plain english" as any rational thinking person might do?

I will try and keep this brief and to the point....

Regarding Fundi:

Yes... the SGM held in December last year regarding the Fundi issue caused great consternation and argument within the Committee. Some of us, including myself felt that the process was taking too long and given the new enhancements/improvements made by AeCSA (which were not known to us at the time of our meeting) that we as the EXCO could simply overturn the decision that was mandated at the AGM in October which, as you well know, was to reject the system. Myself and others, including you Herman, had to be reminded that according to the Misasa Consitution, we had to call the SGM to allow the members to vote on overturning that AGM decision and accept the new proposals re Fundi. We accepted this.

The arguments and animosity that followed the SGM voting process on ML (which had never been tried before!) directly led to Mr Mackenzie's resignation....and you know it.
This brings me to my next point regarding your resignation and the SGM that we have called for which is in line with procedure as we understand it.

I refer to the following from the Misasa Constitution:

•i) Should any position on the Executive or General Committee become vacant during the year the Executive Committee may co-opt a person to fill the vacancy.
•j) Voting shall be secret and the election procedure shall be determined by the Executive Committee.

You resigned your post with immediate effect on Sat 02/02/2013. Now everyone must remember... Misasa is an ARO and by rights, for the ARO to be valid, it HAS to have a Chairman! The Committee held an Emergency Skype meeting on the 04th Feb to discuss this, and at that meeting a Chorum unanimously elected Mr Hicks as Acting Chairman and agreed to hold an SGM in a months time for the Membership to be able to elect a permanent Chairman. (I have the minutes of this meeting should anyone want me to post them here)

Notice of this SGM was immediately posted on the website, which is the official platform for these announcements.

This will be the second time we hold a vote on an electronic platform. We believe that it reaches far more members around the country than to hold a meeting in person because members can vote from wherever they may be. This is also allowed by the Constitution if you take the time to read it.
The voting process the EXCO decided on differs from the flawed one we used in December in that votes will be e mailed to an address rather than posted on the forum. The reason is very simple. The votes have to be verified as Current Members by name....something that one cannot do when everyone logs on using a pseudonym. This is called progress. When you spot a problem you change it for the better and move forward.

Herman, I am at a total loss to understand what your REAL gripes are?

Donald Hicks who has served as Chairman in the past stands nominated by the Committee to take over your vacated position untill the AGM in October. Alan Mackenzie having reconsidered the situation, has agreed to his Nomination to return to his old position of Publications, which to be honest I am extremely grateful for. We have not recieved any other nominations to these positions and will obviously include any others we do recieve in time.

Before you resigned, we as a Committee called for a round table discussion to sort out any differences of opinion there may be....you never responded....instead, you left.

Herman, I challenge you to answer one simple question?

Is your disatisfaction based on a disagreement you have with the way Misasa is being run....or is it based on the breakdown of goodwill between yourself and two others?
If it is the first...then please state your case (as we have asked), come forward with your concerns so we can address them and reach a conclusion to these matters?
If it is the latter, then I implore you to keep your personality clashes out of Misasa and it's members affairs.

The Misasa Committee believes we have followed all protocols and procedure wrt to this transision, yet you continue with your strange tactics of trying to insinuate the opposite?
I have learnt the hard way the being a member of a Committee is not easy. There are many times that certain issues and decisions will not go your way. The important thing to maintain is the ability to move forward and always put the interests of the members ahead of your own.

I would like to reassure all Misasa Members that your EXCO remains steadfastly committed to this principle and we will continue to uphold the good name of our ARO. Your comments are, as always, welcome here on the forum or at:

pro@misasa.org
admin@misasa.org

Many Thanks,

Alan Hussey
Misasa PRO
hermand

Postby hermand » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Alan,

Thank you for replying.

There is no “gripe”, but I do have concerns regarding the way MISASA is managed. (I am still a member)
During recent discussions with the MISASA caretaker chairman he refused to approach the subject of my enquiries as in fact you are doing.
Please do not change the subject and address the questions at hand. They are not that hard to understand.

1. Vote for chairman and publications person.
Why do you not inform the members by email of this extraordinary vote and in what magical way it might be fair? I know the constitution says you don’t have to and I hope that part of it will be rectified soon. An oversight in the paperwork does not mean it is acceptable – what can you lose to include paying members?
You can only gain more trust and respect from your members by giving them a real chance to participate!
When there is a vote for new committee members, especially the chairman, the members have a right to propose candidates and then participate in a fair election.
This is not a privilege the committee can unilaterally bestow upon itself, no matter how you read the constitution.

2. Financials.
The second point of concern, and I am only trying to warm the committee of the gravity of this point, is that MISASA according to your treasurer has no audited financial statements. Just a bank account and cash slips.

How long has MISASA been in existence? Someone can ask for five years of bank statements – how will one reconcile that? Remember most of these monies went to committee members bank accounts as refunds! The MOP requires Audited Financials presented at every committee meeting.

I am glad to see you have read the constitution and MOP, you will know that I am well within my right to bring these issues to the attention of the members. In the interest of MISASA not myself!

Let the MISASA committee inform the members of the above in a proper manner by email and get your financials in order, and as much as I love flying trikes, I will commit to resign from MISASA.

That is my commitment to LSA flying – where is yours?

Regarding your reference to hellfire, she must be the only other person to have visited the web site this month. vhpy

Herman Dormehl

0716883822 - I am open to discussions with any interested party.
nothing new to add.......
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 am

you have already spread your conspiracy theories re this to us on the committee, CAA, RAASA, as well as members of the press? The three last ones having absolutely nothing to do with Misasa's Governance?
We also had an unknown (to some) new user called "WildFire" spam the same notice
You have the means to inform the members, please use it.
Herman, please do.

There seems to be some under current discontent which the members don't seem privy to so save face and state your case. You might even have some support.

Seems you posted before I did.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Can I kindly request that we do not take this fight to the public? Please Guys. In any committee you are going to get some head butting (Koppe stamp). Let us work this out in a decent way and not with mudslinging. That will ONLY result in total disaster for MISASA!
Let us get some unity, if things need to be fixed, let’s get it fixed. Fighting/Mudslinging is only going to break things up further. I do not know what all this is all about but let us not do our washing in public.
The current committee is a GREAT bunch of guys. Let’s take Tedderfield. The unselfish organisation that went into it to make it a GREAT success was unbelievable. Can we not take that forward and make MISASA even better. What I am trying to say is, this is why we have the MISASA committee.
No Committee is perfect. Let’s take the positive and make this work.

This only my 5 cents worth.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Please do not change the subject and address the questions at hand.
Once again Herman, you wish to prescribe how a person answers or responds to your comments... yet directed at Alan Hussey.
During recent discussions with the MISASA caretaker chairman he refused to approach the subject of my enquiries as in fact you are doing.
You are misconstruing the situation and events, as for one, the caretaker Chairman has responded to you in an orderly manner (the same cannot be said about your non-public comments, e-mails and correspondence) you refuse to take heed to what has already been conveyed to you. You wish to bring the laundry to the forum where we chose to be more diplomatic as Airhog has suggested.... but no - you chose to air the views!

Further, you share your selective communications with a media entity that clearly is associated with branding microlighters as "thugs" and having an uncomplimentary viewpoint of MISASA and association with AeroclubSA etc.

To persistently make ripples, it has become clear that it is your pertinent mission and objective to do your utmost to try destabilize the current committee. If this is your way to convince members of your concerns, then you clearly have an extremely strange way of conveying it.
Let the MISASA committee inform the members of the above in a proper manner by email and get your financials in order, and as much as I love flying trikes, I will commit to resign from MISASA.
Once again trying to be in the driving seat and prescribe conditions.
That is my commitment to LSA flying – where is yours?
Are you forgetting the class of aircraft we represent? What has happened to the WCM chaps? The current committee has poured more of their time and selfless commitment than you care to recognize, admit or give credit for. Your comment is actually a clout in the face!

Respect is earned and not demanded or enforced - often the downfall of an autocratic leader within a volunteer group!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 pm

(Respect is earned and not demanded or enforced - often the downfall of an autocratic leader within a volunteer group!)

I should think the respect has been earned , how come he was voted as chairman? And as far as I can see there was no downfall but a resignation.

Here my question

I had to get my new atf from Raasa early January this year but first had to go to the Aero Club counter to pay for firstly Ero Club membership as well as Misasa membership.

Stuck to the counter were all the Aro's and there yearly fees, with Misasa being more expensive than most and more expensive than the Gyro's, why is this?

Secondly, what is this money for, and where is it spent?

Regards

Ps. I have never met Herman Dormehl or Alan Hussey and only once had I been introduced to John Boucher.
So I aint choosing sides. I do however read microlighters frequently and must just say that should Mr John Boucher not agree to comments made on the forum he seems to have harsh replies and does get very personal.
Kyk Noord
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Air Hog wrote:Can I kindly request that we do not take this fight to the public? Please Guys. In any committee you are going to get some head butting (Koppe stamp). Let us work this out in a decent way and not with mudslinging. That will ONLY result in total disaster for MISASA!
Let us get some unity, if things need to be fixed, let’s get it fixed. Fighting/Mudslinging is only going to break things up further. I do not know what all this is all about but let us not do our washing in public.
The current committee is a GREAT bunch of guys. Let’s take Tedderfield. The unselfish organisation that went into it to make it a GREAT success was unbelievable. Can we not take that forward and make MISASA even better. What I am trying to say is, this is why we have the MISASA committee.
No Committee is perfect. Let’s take the positive and make this work.

This only my 5 cents worth.
+1 yes please guys I have the utmost respect for all involved here please sort this out in private -0<
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:12 pm

I do however read microlighters frequently and must just say that should Mr John Boucher not agree to comments made on the forum he seems to have harsh replies and does get very personal.
Haven't been called Mister for ages and prefer an informal approach.

What are you actually implying Sukkelaar and would appreciate examples to substantiate your observation where I specifically got personal. In my defense though, I do tend to be quite frank because the truth does seem to hurt at times doesn't it. I suppose when blatant disregard for regs and these decisions directly or indirectly affecting the lives of people or the industry, one cannot really be too diplomatic. :idea:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 am

To Airhog and Anthony,

I could not agree more....but when a disgruntled ex committee members spews poison in public and looks to tarnish the reputation of a very important Association, it is difficult and irresponsible to allow them to do so. :evil:

I find the Ex Chairs comments quite hypocritical and non sensical.... having sat in the driving seat of Misasa, surely that would have been the right time and place to view his "concerns" and therefore propose constructive processes to improve things IF necessary? When asked to participate in a round table discussion, you refused....to be honest, according to you JB and I should not even have responded to a thread like this without your approval??
I'm sorry, but "Gestapo" tactics do not work within a Committee based solely on volunteers who give freely of their time to serve others.

Unlike you Herman, I do not need to hide behind a ficticious pseudonym on a social network to have my say and voice my opinion and concerns, and I'm quite happy to put my name on a comment and will stand by it, whether I'm right or wrong. AGM/SGM announcements have always been made on the Misasa website... and will continue to be made there. To attack my integrity here and insinuate that there is skulldugery and unfair practices going on is absolute rubbish and I will not be dragged into your pathetic attempt at gaining public sympathy for your failure to lead and co ordinate the Committee in a responsible way.

To satisfy the only complaint (yours) I have recieved wrt this announcement and the voting process decided upon, I will post a thread here and request JB to send out a bulk e mail to all registered members of Misasa....I trust this will put an end to your insinuations as there was never any intention from our side to keep this SGM a secret as you put it? The Nominees put forward have the support of the Committee but we have never disallowed outside participation or nominations from elsewhere? If there were others wanting to serve on both the Committee or even as Chairman, I would think that they would at least be actively reading the Misasa website?

WRT the financials of Misasa, (which again you choose to highlight in your campaign to discredit others), they are not required to be AUDITED by a third party. The treasurer is simply tasked to keep a set of financial books and account for income and expenditure. The whole process is very transparent and requires approvals for expenditure by other Committe members. Misasa to my knowelege has never had the need or requirement for AUDITED Financial statements...perhaps you would like to point out where the world "audited" appears in the MOP below?

5.2.5 Treasurer
5.2.5.1Requirements
(i) Must have a good financial background
(ii) Must have a sound knowledge of bookkeeping
(iii) Must be able to keep a full set of books and draft financial
statements annually
5.2.5.2 Duties and Responsibilities
(i) Maintain a full set of financial books, showing all transactions that
have taken place during the financial year
(ii) Make payments of necessary accounts as agreed upon by the
committee

To end...

Herman, I will not entertain your attention seeking here anymore and I will not be dragged further into this smear campaign against Misasa on our otherwise contented forum. It is clear from posts above that members find this in bad taste and I at least will respect that.
To the rest of the Members, you are as always welcome to contact us regarding Misasa matters at the contact details mentioned before should you have specific questions you wish to ask.

Many Thanks,
Alan Hussey

PS...you did not answer my one simple Question? :wink:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 am

Sukkelaar wrote:Here my question

I had to get my new atf from Raasa early January this year but first had to go to the Aero Club counter to pay for firstly Ero Club membership as well as Misasa membership.

Stuck to the counter were all the Aro's and there yearly fees, with Misasa being more expensive than most and more expensive than the Gyro's, why is this?

Secondly, what is this money for, and where is it spent?

Sukkelaar, I wish to point out that Misasa/AeCSA membership does not co incide with the issuing of your ATF. This is the great misunderstanding that many of our members have, even though it has been stated many times before.
You guys need to renew your membership by Dec 31st for the following year. RAASA, will not issue your ATF without membership (required by Law) but it must be made clear that it does not mean you wait till your ATF is due to pay your fees. Your Membership expires on 31st Dec every year regardless of when your ATF does.

I am not privvy to the budgets and expenditure of the other ARO's so I'm not sure what light I can really cast on that subject for you... or state how they determine their membership fees?
Without going into specifics, your yearly fees are spent predominantly on the publication of the Microflight Magazine, travelling expenses for Committee members who attend meetings on the members behalf, and of course the Tedderfield event which has become our Flagship for the ARO and the Sport. We also for the first time now have a paid member in our Admin Lady, Thelma Engelbrecht who has been vital in the management and "auditing" of our database.

I am not at liberty to discuss specific spending on a public platform because there are many here who are not members of MISASA and are thus not priveledged to that information. However, you and anyone else, as a paid up member are more than welcome to contact our Treasurer who will disclose specific information and figures to you if you so choose. His contact details are on the Misasa Website Sir.
Hazzard
Ready for the first flight

Postby Hazzard » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Folks, if we can please calm down and allow me to give thought to the issues under discussion. It seems that personalities are getting in the way of the process required to address the issues at hand. I undertook to come back to you before the end of February and this I will do. I choose not to become embroiled in this round of discussion as it has no place here. Dirty laundry has its place; in the laundry basket!

As to the issues raised; I do take note of what is said and will respond. I too take note of the good souls that have lauded the good work done by the committee, like the quarterly magazine (done almost single handedly by our Editor in Chief), the Tedderfield event and more that has gone on before... I thank you for that.

Regarding the "HOT ISSUES", please, if we can just wait until I have done my homework. I took over the Chair just over a week ago following the resignation of Herman. I have inherited “fallout” and need time to correctly look into each question raised. I assure you; if the committee has made mistakes then we will confirm this and effect the requisite corrections. If not, then of the anarchists, I ask for no apologies, simply that you allow us to get on with the work of running our ARO.

I include my name and mail address and ask that those that have issue, mail them to me directly so that I can answer your questions. If I am unable to address your issue then by all means, air them in public. Please first however, let us confirm that there is in fact a problem.

Oh, one other thing; if you mail me, please include your name and contact details so that I can reply to a person, and not a pseudonym.
Regards: Donald Hicks. wendonair@wendon.co.za
Acting Chairman: MISASA.
Donald Hicks,
ZU-EPY
083 626 3180
www.weboonline.com/donald/
Hazzard
Ready for the first flight

Postby Hazzard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Hello all and thank you for the opportunity to get my thoughts in order. The accusations brought against the MISASA Committee are serious and certainly are deserving of a considered and carefully researched response.

As you may recall, on this forum, I asked that the unsatisfactory discussion of allegations be stopped so that I be given time to address each issue raised. I have now had that time, have done both the requisite homework and have discussed all the issues with both the management of AeroClub and that of RAASA. In each meeting, my position remained the same. I will answer to the accusations and respond in the correct manner. To that end, this discussion will not be further discussed in an open forum on Microlighters as it has nothing to do with the public at large. My findings will be e-mailed to each registered MISASA member and all members will be asked to respond to us should they have any further concerns.

To the non MISASA people on Microlighters, as acting Chairman of MISASA, I apologise for the airing of perceived, “dirty washing” and assure you that we have not wavered from “business as usual”. We are open and available to any responsible and procedurally correct audit of behaviour and procedure by Members, AeroClub, CAA or RAASA management. Further, we, as a committee remain, as before, totally committed to MISASA and the needs of our flying community.

To the MISASA members; to you too I apologise for the public airings by the unhappy some. Yes, you, as a member of MISASA have the right to look into what is happening within the running of the ARO. I stand behind your right to comment on fact. I stand behind your right to complain in public or other forums. You however do not have the right to bring our Committee, membership or the MISASA name into disrepute which is what you do when you make comments that are not an accurate representation of fact. Slander is never slander when it is a factual account of what transpired. On the issue of bringing MISASA’s name into disrepute, I reserve the right to revisit this matter, if required, in the future. To any member that goes public with slanderous allegations that are not factually correct, consider yourselves warned!

FINALLY, to our members, I urge you to please check your e-mail and to read the content as laid out following this investigation. Should you not receive the e-mail please check with JB to ensure that we have your correct contact details.

Regards,

Donald Hicks…Acting Chairman; MISASA.
Donald Hicks,
ZU-EPY
083 626 3180
www.weboonline.com/donald/