Sodwana Trip

Postby t-bird » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:59 am

Hi Guys

I am planning a trip to Sodwana over a weekend. vhpy

I would appreciate any tips:

- Landing strips near Sodwana.
- Conditions of runways and fuel enroute , Ermelo, Piet Retief, Pongola
- Safety of your aircraft over night
- Any rules for flying in the Sodwana area , lots of game reserves etc.

Cheers

Callie
UJOHN
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Re: Sodwana Trip

Postby UJOHN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:25 pm

T BIRD

Can help in Piet Retief with feul, accommodation and hanger for 2 aircraft, if you need a half way stop over. Going camping at Sodwana this weekend will try and check out the facilities and report back.

Regards
Johan
gyronaught
Found a flight school

Re: Sodwana Trip

Postby gyronaught » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:00 pm

A microlight instructor operates a strip close to Sodwana. His name is Franswa, call him on 072 211 6662 or 082 324 0267.
The only alternate is Mbazwana. It is situated amongst many rural huts and is densely populated with locals. It is about 15 km from Sodwana. It is a well used strip and is managed by commercial timber fire contractors. They will try to sting you commercial landing fees. Negotiate!!!! Suggest R20 to R50. You MUST arrange security with the local guy that looks after the field, payment upon departure, I suggest R50.00. Strip is patchy and sandy. Suggest a precautionary before landing. Often litter of sorts on the strip. If you do not have transport, negotiate with a local taxi operator . Know of two taxi operators, Nxumalo, 082 500 5190 or 079 610 1750. Again, negotiate before departure, not afterwards. The strip is very rural. You will feel like you are in Uganda / Ethiopia or the like. Be ' streetwise" to avoid being ripped off. Good luck. Ph me if I can be of further assistance. 083 630 5073
Regards
Mike French