GYRO'S ARE NOT MICROLIGHTS

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

GYRO'S ARE NOT MICROLIGHTS

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:27 pm

I see Wonderboom has a Notam out that Microlights are restricted from using Wonderboom unless prior arrangements have been made.

I phoned ATC to ask if gyro's would be welcome, and as expected, was told that microlights weren't allowed. Without wanting to end up in an argument, I told them that GYRO'S ARE NOT MICROLIGHTS, and are in a compeletly different CATEGORY eg. balloons, gliders, helicopters, fixed wings etc. They are not a sub division of fixed wings!

I also mentioned that I can see why microlights aren't allowed, mostly because of their slow cruise speed, and mentioned that gyro's cruise at a similar speed to light training aircraft in the circuit. They also fly a low level circuit, so they are out of the way of fixed wing traffic.

I then spoke to Peet van Rensburg, Wonderboom's Aerodrome Manager, and he agreed with me. He says that he has relayed his consent to ATNS so that ATC will not give any hassles should we land at Wonderboom.

For those that want to operate there, just make sure you know the compulory VFR reporting points, and that you are comfortable operating in controlled airspace. In controlled airspace ATC will "Clear" you for take off and "clear" you to land, which is a very important clearance that you won't receive at just any airfield that has someone sitting in the tower. One has to be a certified tower controller to issue such clearances.

(Instructors telling their solo students that they are "Cleared to land" are actually incorrect, and shouldn't say this. They don't have the qualifications to "clear" one to land. They are not qualified ATC's. They should say "the runway is clear"!)

Also make sure you land on the correct runway, as I have heard of one gyro on an organised breakfast run landing on the cross runway by mistake, and felt very embarrassed!
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Condor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi FOGyro

Thank you for sorting this out.

Why don't we arrange a breakfast run (or jump) to Wonderboom and we can all learn the procedure from a pro like yourself.

Regards
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Maybe that's a good idea. Will find a Saturday morning when I'm not jetting off somewhere.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 pm

FO Gyro wrote:Maybe that's a good idea. Will find a Saturday morning when I'm not jetting off somewhere.
Mmmm sounds nice, only if I can have the backseat. 8) :P
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi All

I think that is a good idea too.

I must admit that I have been suffering from a bit of an identity crisis as far as gyroplanes are concerned because no-one seems to know where to classify them. They are rotorcraft the same as helicopters but then the regs go off and specify things about helicopters while ignoring the other rotorcraft. They are heavier than the maximum microlight weight I think so they should not be classified as such. Perhaps we should educate people so that they know what a gyroplane is. How is another story.
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

GYRO LANDING FEES

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm

My favourite gripe is when it comes to landing fees. Gyro's are definitely considered as rotorwings, and not fixed wings, and although we use the runway for landing and take-off, we get billed for landing fees as though we are a fixed wing!

If a helicopter is very heavy, and is too heavy to take-off by going straight up into a hover, they often use the taxiway or runway to get some forward airspeed (for translational lift) in order to get airborne. My question to many of the management of these airports like Grand Central and Rand is: Do you bill this helicopter that used the taxiway or runway as though he is a fixed wing or rotor wing? Obviously as a rotor wing. If that is the case, why do gyro's get billed fixed wing landing fees?

Fixed wing landing fees are sometimes at least double that of rotor wing landing fees. Unfair I say!!! :?
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 am

Hi FO Gyro

Thanks for all the work !!

At the moment Gyro’s are grouped together with Micro lights and trikes.

Would it not make sense to try to get it grouped with the Heli’s and fixed wings?
The controls are 3-axis controls , airlaw,met,nav,engines,human performace – all the same

Benefits would be :

The possibility to do your comm.
Recognition of your hours
Flight check with license renewal – Keep you current
Night ratings
Instrument ratings ????

Cons

Not all the current instructors have a comm license
Flight check extra cost involved
Higher class medical

I am of an opinion that the benefits would outweigh the cons over time.

The 3-axis micro lights are in the same situation at the moment. You can register a Cheetha as a PPL plane do your PPL on it. Or you can do your MPL on a cheetah and if you want to fly the same plane that is PPL registered you have to do a whole PPL license and only get recognised for 10 hours. It is basically not worth doing a MPL for a 3-axis plane any more.
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Must say I haven't given it much thought with regard to the various issues you mentioned (with an ATP licence it doesn't really worry me which way it goes). It must stay NTCA, and be in the same position as the microlights when it comes to maintenance (whenever that issue is sorted out with Part 24).

Although I enjoy flying with the microlighters, performance wise, ATC mustn't classify us as microlights, as we are normally a lot faster.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
BOATCH
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Microlights

Postby BOATCH » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 am

If you say that a microlight flyes slower than a gyro what about the GT40s they fly just as fast as gyros ,so where would you pull the line .The GT 40 also kost the same if not more than the GYRO and would be unfair to let the gyros land and not the MICROS.
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 am

Yes, we know the GT450 is a trike on steroids, but the problem is that the average trike doesn't fly the same speed as a GT450. What percentage of trikes can fly at 90mph +?

Not so sure that the GT450's cost the same if not more than gyro's. Brand new gyro's start at around R500k. Not that that has anything to do with it.

If ATC allow microlights in the circuit, they have to assume what an average trike will do speed wise. Most blik aeries fly around 90mph + in the circuit. Having slow traffic makes the ATC's life difficult.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 am

Hi FO GYRO

The Samba’s, Jabiru’s and RV’s are PPL planes but NTCA registered. I don’t think that that will be a problem.

I would prefer if a Gyro license are in its own PPL category, the same as a helicopter.

Think of the upside – commercial operations
- Time building towards comm.
- Night rating
- More acceptable to ATC’s
- Cheaper insurance
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Yes, there could be advantages, but also some disadvantages. A PPL equivalent would require 40-45 hours, and more intense training to increase the knowledge required.

It would be nice if the hours contributed towards a Comm Licence.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 am

Hi FO

I see more hours and intense training as an advantage. At the rate that the pilots are crashing these aircraft additional training could only benefit them.

The cost of additional 15 hours is nothing compared to crashing an R 600 k aircraft.

Regards

Callie
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:03 am

At the rate that the pilots are crashing these aircraft ...
So Callie, of course we may assume that you have led by example (to back up your objectively fact-filled claim of course) and been first in line to pay for your additional 15 hours of instruction to make you a safer gyro pilot? :lol: :lol: :D :wink: (note lots of smileys) :wink:
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Learjet

Why not have an option of doing a GPL or a PPL(G)?

The microlights have it for 3-axis aeries.

If you have an MPL on say a Cheetha and you would like to do your PPL on the same aircraft you would have to do a PPL and only get credits for 10 hours. Write all the caa exams and etc.

It is your choice to do a MPL and not a PPL on a Cheetha
- Easier medicals for MPL
- No flight test only renewals with minimum hours mpl

Why not the same choice for a Gyro ?