Red Gyro over Rhino 13/12/07 + 27/01/08

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Red Gyro over Rhino 13/12/07 + 27/01/08

Postby Rudix » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am

I wonder who were flying the red Gyro (looked like a Magni/Ela) over Rhino Park at about 7 am this morning (13/12/2007) ?

Just a few questions sir......

Do you have a radio installed in your Gyro ?

If the answer is YES then I offer to fix it for you for free, since you never used it and did not reply once when I called you after you cut across me in the circuit, so I can only assume that it is not working :evil:

Ok, so I left the circuit, deciding not to share it with YOU :evil:

20 minutes later I am flying just to the north of Bronkhorstspruit dam at about 6000', what do I see below me ?

The same red gyro at tree top height following the outlet of the dam, all the way to the dam wall. A quick pull up and you are over the dam wall dropping again to hug the water all the way to the west side. Again no radio contact, even after I called you more than once from just above you.....

Did you not read here that we have been asked not to fly THAT low over the dam ? If we persist we will be banned :evil:

Now I am sure you are a great pilot, flying a great machine, the only thing that you can maybe work on is AIRMANSHIP ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ok, to the other 99.9% of pilots, sorry for this "vent" :oops:

Fly safe everyone,
Rudi
Last edited by Rudix on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Rudi

I am only speculating, but I believe the overseas owner of MT03 are in town with a red gyro and might be him that you saw as he should be operating from Kitty Hawk. Might be that he doesn't know the local rules & conditions, not an excuse to jeopardize other peoples safety. Please guys if you know this guy, please explain local rules to him, if not I appologize for my speculations.
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi All

Before I start just let me make it clear that DUO, my gyro, is yellow.

I was just wondering though; if I have radio problems in the future will I get it fixed for free if I hang around Rhino? :wink:
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Eggbeater, very funny.

I suggest you taxi it to Rhino and not fly in.
emil
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby emil » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:14 am

and this happend yesterday again with a yellow Magni.

it was so low over the Bonomanzi side that i was sitting eating and couls c the people's faces...the must have been 50 feet of the water....

and there was a yellow R44 as well.....
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:59 am

It wasn't me.
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:37 pm

The same red Gyro AGAIN flew low over the Bronkhorstspruit dam yesterday (27/01/2008)

This time he even "dive bombed" some boats on the dam. He managed to upset quite a few of the guys on the dam and the marshals took note. (That is how I got to know about it)

They have also started towing paragliders behind some boats so this is causing a even larger risk for low flying.

One of the reports state that he was very low and turned so sharply that it looked like his rotor blades would strike the water.

I think it is time something is done about this guy, we are all getting a bad reputation and soon we won't be able to fly over the dam at all :evil:

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Condor
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Condor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:57 pm

If the guy was as low as stated, surely someone must have been able to read the registration.

Maybe we can have a friendly chat to the gyronaut before CAA does, or even worse, before it is to late....
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Condor wrote:If the guy was as low as stated, surely someone must have been able to read the registration.

Maybe we can have a friendly chat to the gyronaut before CAA does, or even worse, before it is to late....
The registration has already been passed to the CAA as far as I know, I believe there are even a few photos :shock:

Rather him than me......
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Come on guys - we cannot limit where we are allowed to fly by allowing one or two irresponsible pilots to ruin it for us. Dont be a chop and stop upsetting the the guys at the dam. Fly low level somewhere where no-one will report us and get us into kak.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm

This oke needs a RFS....

End of story..... that will possibly awake him up to what hes doing to the rest of our good names, unless of course someone wants to take him aside and quietly explain his transgressions... (Im In!!!)
:x :x :x :x
RV9
DISH
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:32 am

I for one won't be flying in his 'missing man' formation.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Rudix

Bronkhorstspruit dam is not a built up area – You can fly as low as you want to fly.
There is no Notam out of paragliders that is towed on the dam.
The Gyro was flying while the boats were on the dam – so no noise problem; he was not doing beatups at 05h00 in the morning.

I will support the Red Gyro – why do boats and paragliders have preferential treatment at the dam.

Please look at the topic posted in accidents and incidents
viewtopic.php?t=4315&start=0

Bronkhorstspruit is not a build up area on any map including jepperson and easyplan
I have contacted easy plan and they have confirmed no nature reserve or build up area.
You are allowed to fly lower than 500 feet if you are not a nuisance or on final approach or take off.

Please explain what the problem is with flying over the dam low level.
What authority does the marshalls have over an aircraft?
Does anyone of them have a PPL/GPL/MPL?
Why does the paraglider operators not have radios if they are afraid of the Gyros?
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Red Gyro over Rhino 13/12/07 + 27/01/08

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Rudix wrote:AIRMANSHIP ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Enough said
Condor

Postby Condor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I plead with all pilots using the Bronkhorstspruit dam as a destination not to fly low close to the dam wall.

I was told that some "bird-of-prey" breed close to the dam wall.

Further, some consideration to the owners of the houses on the shores. Some areas of the dam are definitely built up, although maybe not on all maps, but I can see the houses.

I agree, let's practise good airmanship.

I don't want an official complaint to CAA and us being banned.

What would be a sensible minimum height over the dam?

Any recommendations?
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG