Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 am

Hi Brian

People fly Gyro’s for the following reasons
1) Stability in turbulence
2) Ability to fly low and slow safely
3) It is easier to fly than a 3-axis

Gyro are expensive and attracted a different kind of pilot that the micro lights.
1) Older pilot , they have the money
2) Older pilot , stability in turbulence
3) Older pilot , easier to fly.

I got a few older guys hooked onto gyro flying 2 of them now proud owners of a GPL at 60 years.
Another one is busy with his GPL after I gave him a flip he is probably 65 years plus and had a PPL with comm and instrument rating.

These guys aren’t interested in stalls and spins and definitely not in flying a tail tragger.

Horses for courses, I enjoyed my Thunderbird which is a quarter of the price of the gyro and your Kitfox.
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am

Brian
Whats wrong with a Subaru motor, more horse, less maintanance, more reliable, good price, good back up etc etc.
Lotsa people don't like using non-aviation engines in their aeries. Personnally I don't have a problem with the Subaru motors. I merely stated the obvious regarding the question on price for gyros.

Some useless info. I myself have a serious problem with Rotax costs and is currently busy with a project involving a Subaru motor.

Brian
dont compare a luxury sports car to a plain gyro

The comparison was just for arguments sake, that you sometimes get more than meets the eye.

Brian
I have in the past owned two Porsches a Corvette and a Cobra
Aaahh - but then why do we have to explain gyros to you ?? (^^)

P.S. Brian, aren't Cobras overpriced for what you get? ;);)

Bennie - vir jou het ook net een woord - Monopolie.

...........en daarmee bedoel ek nie gaan speel iets nie - daai dammin Rotax motors kort kompetisie in die mark. :evil:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Splitter
First solo

Postby Splitter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:42 am

All you new guys obviously have no clue who Brian Young is.

He's been flying before most of you were even a twinkle :lol: in your dad's eyes. He is also an exelent pilot with more hrs in the sky than you have in your porche.

Listen and learn. :!:
Born to Fly
Yoda
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:42 am

:) Eish Brian, you've been flying for almost as long as I'm old. Excellent!!!! I wonder how many pilots have so many different qualifications. I looked at your website. Very impresive.

I'm sure there are many very capable pilots on this forum who has also done a few hrs. At least enough to form their own opinion on different things.
In the end I suppose we all have a right to form our own opinion on something.

Thanx for you comments though. It makes for good interacion . I like it.
Rgds :wink:
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:58 am

Yoda
Thanx for you comments though. It makes for good interacion . I like it.
!!!! !!!! !!!!

That's what's the forum's for. ($$)

t-bird
Gyro are expensive and attracted a different kind of pilot that the micro lights.
1) Older pilot , they have the money
2) Older pilot , stability in turbulence
3) Older pilot , easier to fly.
Ouch - I take exception - I fly it because it is nice!!

Splitter - forget the Porsche.

It could have been Lamborghini - but that's overpriced........

It could have been Ferrari - but that's expensive and overpriced......

It could have been an American sports car but that's k@k quality......

It could have been Aston Martin, but that's English........ :wink:
ZU-CFW
Yoda

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Brian, I just want to ad. Being the high time pilot you are....
I still do not agree with most things you said about gyros.
I know for a fact differently from personal experience and there is no way you will convince me otherwise. I fly from an airfield at 5000ft every day in almost any kind of weather you can get. For my first 300 hrs I did, I flew from a strip merely 250 mtrs long and I took off there fully loaded.
Its seems something or somebody created a chip in you shoulder for gyro's. Well, thats your problem. As for me... I will stick with Flying gyro for the rest of my life. :wink:
Brian Young
First solo

To T-Bird - Yoda -Ldel

Postby Brian Young » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Hay Guys,
Just been pulling your legs a bit, hope no offence was taken, I actuly enjoy flying a gyro I have some good friends that fly them and have had Johan Stemit and friends twice at my place you guys must come a visit me and I will take you arround the lowveld if I could bum a ride with one of you, some realy beutiful places to see and a realy nice Lapa to sit around at night and talk some flying K@K
I am Looking at building a single seater, very basic for a bit of fun around the patch.
Yoda

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:44 pm

:lol: Brian jou Bl......sm. Jy't my gevang :oops:
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Brian

We are planning our first cross country trip to Barberton to visit friends there. Would have loved to visit and talk some more k@k if only your runway wasn't as short as 680m. Will try and hire a eurofox for the trip :lol:
Brian Young
First solo

Mak

Postby Brian Young » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Mak, not to worry look at my web and you will see I have just built a new runway 1200mts x 25 mts I think you guys should beable to take off and land quite safely, specialy built for big twins king 200, C402, DC3 etc and of coures all the gyros if not long and wide enough let me know I'l make a plan
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Brian :lol:

O ja t-bird back to the topic

From my limited personal experience on Magni and ELA.

Prefer the ELA.

Do not think Magni can justify the extra 100 grand, the ELA looks like better workmanship and can accommodate a tall pilot.

P.S. Still think the Italians can't build cars, planes............
ZU-CFW
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:53 am

Since we are comparing gyro's (for prospective gyronauts out there):
After owning 3 previous gyro's (a VPM with an Arrow engine, a Sycamore, and a Magni Gyro M16), here's my perspective on why I recently bought a MT-03 gyro:

Price is very competitive. I paid R160K less than a Magni! Empty weight lighter than a Magni, although same as an ELA. Excellent baggage space (same, if not more than a Magni M22.) Has at least 5 large areas (tog bag size) to put baggage, and one's doesn't have to squash one's clothes into a long sausage. Very nice custom made pannier bags fit snugly underneath the passenger's legs. Although the M22 is nice for baggage, I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have dual controls. The M16 has dual controls, but then one doesn't have the baggage space. Can't win. I like dual controls because a lot of people I take up enjoy feeling what's it's like to fly a gyro. I take pleasure in giving them a turn to fly it. Beautiful aluminium blades that don't have the gel coat taken off them like the Magni does if flying in rain (by mistake ofcourse). Good prerotator, aweseome German finish. Heated jackets for those cold winter Highveld mornings! Excellent backup by SA agent, with his own engineer for servicing the MT-03. I just arrive at my hangar and turn the key and go!

Magni has always been considered by some to be the Rolls Royce of gyro's until recently, but I would say the competition has caught up, and in particular the MT-03 I feel is the better bet as an overall package.

Not running down the other gyro's (before anyone gets too sensitive out there), just my reasons why I bought a MT-03...
Last edited by FO Gyro on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: To Mak and Yoda

Postby FO Gyro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Brian Young wrote:As said before if you only fly gyros that all you know. The eurofox take off was seen by a few hundered poeple at CC fly in but we did not see any gyros? It seem to me that a lot of the poeple on this forum are either wanabe , student or lowtime pilots, I have been flying for 27 years have a current PPL, MPL "A" grade Instructors rating and a GPL rated on three different gyros, PPL and MPL +/_ 60 type ratings with +/_ 10000 hrs
So when you have a few hundered hrs we can talk again :?: :wink:
Keep you blood presure down, life is a journey enjoy the flight.
Hi Brian,

I know you were just giving the guys a run for their money there, but in my experience (since we mentioned experience: 10 500 hours, 8000 airline jet hours, ATP, PPL/CPL instructor), I do agree gyro's are not cheap (but then compare them to a R22 heli). I must say that for me, gyro's have been the most fun aircraft I have ever flown! The only thing better than I gyro for me would be a helicopter, but SAA don't pay me enough for that! Gyro's might not be the most comfortable on a long journey, but whereas in a fixed wing one wants to get from A to B as soon as possible, in a gyro, the journey becomes part of the fun. We might only cruise between 75-80kts, but then one must just leave slightly more early if going somewhere! Not so.

Before buying my 4th gyro (also owned a Porsche 911 some years ago), I flew a few fixed wings just to see what's available. It might be since I have been there, done that, some 16 years ago when I first learnt to fly, but I really found them quite boring to fly. If one comes from a trike background, then maybe its different, and nice to be in an enclosed cockpit. Maybe I have done a full circle. If one has a farm somewhere, and getting from A to B as quick as possible is the priority, then a fixed wing is the answer. In the gyro I still get to fly from A to B, but have twice as much fun in the process.

I just say to myself, if I really want to commute far, I'll rather jump on SAA and then I have most comfortable aircraft possible, and am the most refreshed upon arriving at destination. Again, just how I see it.
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:45 pm

There's one thing gyro's can do that no other flying aircraft (fixed wing or rotor wing can do)...

Have a look at the attached photo's. I land on my farm road (1st photo), and then taxi right up to my farm house (about 900m) via the access road. Because gyro's are only as wide as the track of the main undercarriage, only gyro's can do this. This alone is reason to fly a gyro! Can't fault that...
Attachments
IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Brian Young you stirrer! For the record, I did my Gyro training at Brians school, Pyramid. Brian is very knowledgeable about gyro's and any other type of flying. He speaks with forked tongue though because I know that he loves Gyro's and has spent many hours training on them! (have you finished your instructors yet Brian?)

I also know that he thinks they are too expensive. Gotta agree with him there! If a Rattex 914F costs R180k and a rotor costs R35k, where does the rest go?

Pyramid is a stunning place to fly to/from! The runways are more than adequate - even for the old sycamores! Brian, with my new one (aluminium rotor) I recon the width of your runways are adequate!

The Lapa and facilities at Pyramid are great and the fireside chats and awesome flying in that area will be fondly remembered. How is Varkies doing?

Your invitation to come fly the fairest Cape with me stands Brian!
Attachments
DSCF0057.JPG
Sean Klopper and Brian Young handing me my Gyro wings!
DSCF0057.JPG (95.89 KiB) Viewed 2702 times