Xenon Gyro

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:23 am

Hi Michiel

“TO SUM UP,ANYBODY CAN FIT A BRIGGS AND STRATTON TO A WHEELBARROW WITH A ROTOR AND EVENTUALLY GET IT TO FLY,CHEAPLY!”

Have you ever flown in a RAF? What experience do you have with the RAF?

If you ask people if they like to be criticized, you will find most resent it. Also, if you ask people if they have a need to criticize themselves and others, you will probably get a yes answer. The puzzling question is, if most people don't like being criticized then why do so many have the need to criticize almost anything. People use criticism because they do not have the skills to share with others the benefits of more appropriate thinking and behavior. To get better results in your life you may want to use the following plan of action to give up your need to criticize.

Ask yourself how you feel when you are criticized. Ask yourself if you always know what is good so you can be sure your criticism is appropriate. Ask yourself whether you like being around people who are always looking for what is wrong with you. Ask yourself whether you see many smiling critics. Ask yourself if criticism has influenced your relationships in a loving and positive or unloving and negative manner.

After you evaluated your answers you may want to change your method of communicating with others and how you feel about their behavior. But first, decide to change your own thinking and behavior because people will only do what you do and not what you say.

I believe the following statement is true. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.

To eliminate the need to criticize is as follows: When you feel a need to criticize, you ask yourself: Is this criticism wise and in good taste? Will it build better relationships? Is there a better way to help others grow? Would I really like to be criticized for doing the same thing? Is criticism building a wall of resentment between the person whom I am criticizing? Since you can only change yourself and it is you who would have the need to criticize work on yourself and see if your relationships won't work better. You have nothing to lose but your anger and resentment and the stress which criticism engenders.

Pay no attention to what critics say no statue has ever been put up for a critic

Fly save

Eben Jnr
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi Saraf

Nice to hear from you again - thought you left civilization.

You remember an Opel add a while ago. Can't exactly remember the add, but the punchline was - "No dad I just smiled"

Flying Sycamore I am much in the same boat as you regarding critisism, therefore I really enjoy Jetranger and Eagle1s' replies. Always positive.

The same thing happened with the Xenon until there was a positive reply from Wakeshift.

I think you must adopt to that. There will always be a bunch of uninformed monkeys that will bash anything just for the hell of it.

Shrug it off and keep us informed of what's cooking in Upington. For every one poepol there is a thousand guys on the forum who wants to know the facts.

A positive answer on someones bashing always take the wind out of there sails. :wink:

Have a beer, keep flying and don't desert us. :wink:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi Ldel

Who do you call “bunch of uninformed monkey” ?

I think Machiel knows what he is talking about –
Trike pilot
Trained at 303 on a Magni
Owned a Ela and flown it from JHB to Stilbaai
Built a RAF
I would say more informed than the normal guy on the street.

Regarding Wakesift positive comments. This is facts not bashing

2)“longer rotor, which I am glad to confirm has now been manufactured”
Why the longer rotor ?

Makes you think about the accident where they were caught in a so called downdraft at Rhino.
They basically admit that the lift is in adequate.
A longer rotor increase lift but decrease your speed- that is why Magni reduced the length of the rotors a few years ago

3 ) “3. For the record, Jean Pierre Du Ponsel has no vested interest in the Xenon. At the time of going to France to test fly the Xenon, we asked Jean Pierre to accompany us to help with the translation as he is also French.”

Per the Xenon brochure – Translator turned test pilot

“Test Report by Jean-Pierre Duponsel
This report deals only with my experience at the control of the aircraft, or
as a passenger when demonstration of some manoeuvres were done by
Raymond, owner and pilot of the aircraft, as well as remarks made by”
“Also, instead of giving a lot of meaningless figures, I shall tend to
compare the aircraft with other gyros that I have a license to fly, namely
the Magni M16 and the RAF 2000”
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: re

Postby Coyote » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:53 pm

t-bird wrote:Eagle 1

“Flying is awesome its the bulls£%t that ruins it.”
I agree with you and that is why the Xenon is taking some much flack.

Not once have I said a bad thing about it. But I have asked some questions on statements that were made.

To quote Learjet “I can only say that the overly defensive and somewhat evasive responses I'm reading is placing a bigger question mark for me about buying the Xenon than the Xenon itself!!!”
I agree - ask away!! its your money to purchase and your life to fly it.
There is NOT ONE gyro in SouthAfrica that is perfect or hasnt had an incident or accident. SOme guys are just better at keeping it quite. I have looked at gyros from all over the world and think we have a pretty good selection - very overpriced but nice planes.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Ldel

Postby Coyote » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Saw your plane in the hanger - it looks good. How it the motor running now?
Have you got some hours in ?? My new prop is absolutely awesomes.
Coyote
Brian Young
First solo

A good luagh

Postby Brian Young » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Hay guys this is goood but can any one tell me who Mr. Anybody is??? as I want to build a single seater gyro plane as cheeeeply as posible and if this Mr. anybody can pleeeese help me fit a briggs and stratton motor to my plastic wheel barow and we can get it to fy my dreams will come true
just by the way I also believe in the Easter bunny
MICHIEL
Ready for the first flight

Eben jnr.

Postby MICHIEL » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi Eben, Sal maar in afrikaans antwoord , dit lyk my die engels veroorsaak probleme.Dankie vir die sede-les, maar gaan lees asb weer my skrywe en jy sal agterkom ek het nie n enkele woord van kritiek teenoor jou of enige ander persoon geopper nie.Jou persoonlike raad aan my t.o.v my persoonlike sogenaamde tekortkominge is onvanpas en ongevraagd in n volwasse groeps-bespreking wat op lugvaart betrekking het. Aanval is die beste manier van verdedeging vir jou klaarblyklik, maar hou asb. by gyro`s en lugvaart.Jou antwoord op my skrywe het nie een verwysing na jou produk gehad nie.Ek en die ander lesers kan dus aanneem dat jy nie van my verskil nie. Terloops, net vir die rekord, met my verwysing na n "kruiwa met rotor" het ek eintlik aan die eerste Bensons gedink.Verder bevraagteken jy my ondervinding t.o.v. R.A.F..Soos jy uit n volgende skrywe kan aflei,was ek by RAF betrokke sedert 2004.Ek is sover ek weet een van net 2 gyro loodse in SA wat van RAF verander het na n Europese gyro [ELA].Let wel ,ek se verander nie opgradeer nie. Ek het baie lesse, duur lesse, geleer sedert 2004 en ek wil dit graag met ander lesers deel , veral die wat nog nie hul eie gyro het nie.Ek dink hulle kan baie leer by ouens wat al deur die meule is. Ek sal dus binnekort n vergelyking van eienskappe van die RAF sowel as die ander gyros wat in SA beskikbaar is. Ter afsluiting ,jy se: PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT CRITICS SAY, NO STATUE HAS EVER BEEN PUT UP FOR A CRITIC. Maybe it is true for aircraft salesmen, but many statues [tombstones] have been put up for dead pilots who did not heed what critics said.I NEVER complained when Roelf gave me SNOTKLAP from the rearseat! Greetings from Stilbaai.
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi All

Perhaps it is time for some light relief:

Sibelius famously remarked to his fellow composer Bengt von Törne: "Never pay any attention to what critics say. Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!" Not quite true. Commenters at Felsenmusick point out that the Canadian artist Joe Fafard made a statue of Clement Greenberg, and that there is a statue to the literary critic Charles Augustin Saint-Beuve in the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris. There is also a statue of the Russian critic Vladimir Stasov — dedicatee of Pictures at an Exhibition, subject of several extraordinary portraits by Ilya Repin — in St. Petersburg.

t-bird, you said "A longer rotor increase lift but decrease your speed- that is why Magni reduced the length of the rotors a few years ago" - why is this? More drag? For the aspirant aeronautical engineers, would a three or four rotor set up with shorter rotors work as well or better or would there be problems with teetering? Or is is just the gyronauts who are lazt and find two rotors easier to park?

Brian, you say that you "want to build a single seater gyro". My advice is don't. When I was in training (also with Roelf - Michiel) he said that there are basically three stages you go through with gyros (perhaps it is the same with all aircraft - I don't know) - the first is when you fly alone to familiarise yourself with the machine, the second is when you want to share the experience with another person as passenger and the third is when you want to fly in loose formation with other gyros. All I can say is that this is very true particularly number 2.
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:36 am

Michiel baie goeie ant woord en in die regte taal.

Jy moes maar vir ou Roelf na die tyd uitgesort het man hy dink seker nog hy is n onderwyser. :lol: Dis n joke hoor Roelf.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Eggbeater

You asked why the speed is slower because of a longer rotor.

Johan at Wagtail aviation have a Magni with 33 feet rotors. According to them it is the most stable gyro but it is slower.

More lift will come with more drag. Principles of flight

This post is about the Xenon and where they have decided to slap longer rotors on the current machine. Please tell us more about the aeronautical engineers that have made the decision.

In my opinion 2 blades are the way to go. Even carter copters have used 2 blades
http://www.cartercopters.com/
MICHIEL
Ready for the first flight

Postby MICHIEL » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:33 pm

hi t-bird, thanks for coming to my rescue.you seem to know me, but i cant quite place you-please reveal uself! my ela is flying up in gauteng again and i miss it sorely.i replaced it with a jabiru 430 which is currently being assembled in george.looking forward to it,will be a new challenge;esp after caa refuses me any credit for any subject or any hour previously logged;wont comment on that further! decided to feel the water for another, maybe cheaper gyro,so i phoned johan von ludwig this afternoon.he had the good news that wagtail is already in the process of designing a single seater with a 912 and of coarse his brilliant hydraulic prerotator;prototype might be flying this year;my name is on the waiting list! also spoke to him again on the subject of longer rotors,as i was present when he and braam did tests on the xenon.also my brother at harties recently bought a cycamore which is currently being equipped with longer blades.it is a complex subject with many factors involved a.o. mass of blades, length of blades,angle of attack,profile,rotational speed.according to johan the longer blades are more efficient at lower speeds and up to app 70mph;at 80 same and shorter blades better at 90 and above.more stable at all speeds.much reduced groundroll it eff prerotator fitted and lower touch down speed for same given mass of plane. at the coast here at sea level my ela took off with a ground roll of app 10 meters if i prerotated to 250 and had a slight headwind. very interesting indeed.i asked him to post a article here on the subject, but he is reluctant to get involved because of the politics-sic. on the subject of roelf, i was only joking [before i get another sedeles]. i trained with josua, roelf and johan,and they were all excellent instructors and i learned a lot from each of them. but only roelf was a teacher in his previous life! greetings from gautengsimur, stilbaai
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 am

Hi Giel

I am taking care of your Ela in Gauteng. She is flying like a dream.

Cheers

Callie
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:52 pm

I dont agree on the subject of the longer rotor. I am no expert so please dont kill me - but from what I understand the longer rotor produces more lift and therefore flies at a lower angle of attack. This relates into less drag.
I have a 33 ft rotor anf my plane settles at 80mph, I can push it to 100 mph no problem and slow it down to 40 mph but she loves to be at 80mph. From what i hear this is where the Magnis also like to settle (28ft) rotor. My power setting at 80 is 5200 rpm (I have never flown another gyro) so would love some input from the Magni Ela etc etc guys?
Coyote
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi Eagle

What is your manifold pressure @ 80 mph ?
This will give a better indication of your power, not the RPM
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:41 pm

Good question - I will look next time. What should the manifold reading be at normal operation?
Coyote