The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

braam hechter
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Xenon Gyro

Postby braam hechter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Good Day All.

Thinus, thanks for the question, i do not think that we will be importing a Yamaha powered machine soon. It is claimed to be a 3 cylinder 180 hp powerplant. I had discussions with Raph and the Norwegian agent conducting the testflights. The engine is in a developmental phase and they are not going into production yet. I do realize that it is a derivative of an engine in production, but there seems to be some significant changes.

Steve, you are correct with the three seater info. As you may know the European rules require a MAUW of 450 kg. It is planned for the 3 seater to be operating in the 700kg category and will most probably need to be flown with a PPL. There is one currently under construction at the factory. They are looking at a wider cord rotor to decrease the rpm whilst still having the same lift and rotor diameter. Johan vL has already tested such a configuration on the Kriek and as far as i can remember he got the rrpm down to approx 260. When playing with the mast length and material type for specific stiffness there is some interesting characteristics which has a direct influence on the first and second order vibrations. This can be managed with the rotor head set-up and leads to a smooth flight.

It is interesting to have discussions with the factory. When you look at the work that is carried out at the Polish Institute and you think of the various other gyros that was, and is in process in-country, this includes the UFO, the football gyro, as was mentioned on avcom, the Kriek, as was built by JvL, the Phoenix etc. etc, there seems to be very interesting times ahead.

It is also amazing how the information now becomes available and the amount of interaction between various roleplayers. This will obviously lead to an interesting future for gyros, this could include the commercial machines and also bigger machines starting with 4-seaters and also hopefully bring MAK's dream within reach. The trick will be to stay involved and share ideas all the time, you do not need to re-invent the wheel...

Greetings

Braam Hechter
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm

A 4 seater gyro! Nou praat jy! ;-)
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Braam, I applaud Xenon and yourself. Of course Modling and the Wagtail boys too!
I don't know anything about Cellier or Art or the politics and I dont care much about it. What I do feel is that you guys are innovative, pushing the development of Gyro technology and advancing the sport hugely.

Viva 3 and 4 seater Gyro's and who knows what next. Tip Jet VTOL? (^^)

Keep up being ambassadors for our sport Braam, you have our full support.
(and a nice guy too nogal) :lol:

Len
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 am

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhimYr4 ... ata_player

Sent from my iPad
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Fancy a crop spaying Xenon !

See

http://autogyro.eu/zen-1---agro---new-.html

Poland has a long history of build aerial crop sprayers with good global sales of the M-18 Dromader, PZL 106 Kruk and loads and loads of crop spraying AN-2 ( often used in North and East Africa and Middle East ) plus not forgetting the worlds one and only jet powered biplane crop sprayer the M-15 Belphegor.

Be interesting to learn about this machine in due course.

Regards

Steve
gyrofan
First solo

Postby gyrofan » Sun May 13, 2012 11:34 am

At last the Old Red one is airborn again. This past weekend was as busy as usual at Wagtail. At last Braam's Red Xenon flew with the big rotor and more powerfull ROTAX ( Even more power than the XENON RST ). Pictures cannot do justice to the Engineering which went into this re-design, it cannot be classified as just a Mod, after chatting to Johan it was a lot more complicated than just changing the rotor. The lift of the 33ft rotor was so much that it tended to lift the XENON's nose towards the end of pre-rotation...
Lots of thought must have gone into sorting out this combination.

Well the end result is unbelievable, the climbout was phenominal and at the end of the day's flight testing Johan said he still has not gone to full power....

Other VERY good news was the flights with Roux's Subaru powered Sycamore "look-a-like". Over the last few years Roux has spend lots of hours under Johan's guidance to build this incredible machine. Must say, when Johan climbs out of a machine just after a test flight and he says " Through some juice" it means a lot...no more adjustments, no more changes, just enjoying it.

Roux, congrats, your hard work is now rewarded.
Johan, thanks very much for all the help you give to these guys, I know guys like Roux and Pierre and Frans and all the other guys who have the pleasure of flying machines modified by you and your team are very gratefull for your expertise and time...

Safe flying
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Sun May 20, 2012 7:48 am

I havent been on the forum for so long that I forgot my password and after three tries was e- mailed a weired string of numbers . 60 is n bliksem! Help me to reset please. I tried the faq but couldnt come right. Ai toggie... :(
First sign of Winter yesterday morning and I opened my heater vents as I was clothed in only tracksuit pants and t shirt.
Ahhhhhhhhh.......! The familiar warm, cosy, fuzzy feeling one has become so accustomed to when flying in the crisp early morning Highveld air. Viva Xenon! I am in discussions with Braam about maybeeeeeeee taking a peek at the new Xenon with the car doors. Most decissions in life starts out with an itch right there where you you cannot scratch in public. My 2nd Xenon has now clocked 180 and is nearing the line where I always like to " trade in". Not an easy decision this time round as RGB has been such a joy up to now.Roll trim, electric pitch trim, Boost control for optimum wooma etc. etc. Spotless all round with all bells and whistles... Carefree, trouble free cruising non stop. xxx I am flying to the Bushveld today, a lovely 5hours there and back. My aux fuel cell is accompanying me giving me a 6 hrs+ endurance. Why am I doing this? Its a beautiful day and because I can. vhpy
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Sun May 20, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Johan,

Have a lovely flight !
I am just back from Battlefields. What a week-end ! 4th time there and will go again many times ! The great thing is that it is not crowded, no fighting with those who can't adhere to correct procedure etc... Only one other gyro, the rest blik aeries.
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 1#p1072082
I had my wife, luggage, 92 litres and of course the most important instrument Optifuel Fuel computer which kept on telling me as soon as I took off from Krugersdorp that I would have 25 minutes reserve after landing. Good headwind (20 mph) was constantly computed and after landing, there was exactly 9.5 litres in the tank. What a peace of mind ! Arrived 1 minute late of the planning !
Return into the weird thunderstorm that we had in JHB on sunday, but no event really. Very comfortable ride.

See you !

JP
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Sun May 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Flynote

Note that Aviation Artur Trendak ( AAT ) just got his type certificate for the "Zen 1", ( Xenon G3 ) on 15th May 2012 so your new gyro could have a new type name too ! -I *think* the name Xenon belongs to RC.

see the certificate on

http://autogyro.eu/index.php/en/stronaglowna

Cheers

Steve

Gyro Links

http://gyro-gyros.blogspot.co.uk/
gyrofan
First solo

Postby gyrofan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 am

Who is going to break the silence?
I have seen some impressive photos and clips...WOW we sure can be proud of our South Africa gyro experts....
Well done Braam, Johan and the rest of the Wagtail team.
bosbok
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby bosbok » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:51 pm

What are your opinions of the tandem seater Xenon KISS models ?
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi

My understanding is that one prototype flew in 2011 - since then the two business partners have gone their own way - I *think* that the KISS project belongs to RC himself - he is currently just setting up his own separate Xenon production line. I understand the prototype KISS has not flown in many months and that the design is being revised - I can't recall seeing any artwork for the revised design. My *guess* would be that this project is not the top priority at this moment ( as RC is setting up new Xenon production line / seeking manufacturing approval etc ) ie not imminent.

Hopefully someone may know more.

Steve
bosbok
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby bosbok » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks Steve!
Tinkerbell
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:21 pm

The Wagtail team has been busy!
Attachments
IMG_7829.jpg
IMG_7830.jpg
IMG_7831.jpg
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
ZU-RKU Zen
ZU-RTM Calidus
http://www.altairaviation.co.za
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Tsetse? It seems there may be a 7.65 sting (or two) in the tail if this Gyro?

Well done boys, Where can we volunteer to come fly the gunship?

=D* =D* =D*