True?

Postby caneco » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:43 pm

I have a paper that says I fly, now I have to learn to do well
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: True?

Postby FO Gyro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:04 am

As someone said, "I hate it when that happens".

Seriously though, that guy was lucky. It appears a bearing in the rotor head was installed upside down. A fatality in SA occurred many years ago for the same reason.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
jtresfon
First solo

Postby jtresfon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Look carefully... the gyro rolls over right at the end! Not so lucky after all but still better than bits separating 100ft up...

Jean.
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:03 pm

FO Gyro wrote:As someone said, "I hate it when that happens".

Seriously though, that guy was lucky. It appears a bearing in the rotor head was installed upside down. A fatality in SA occurred many years ago for the same reason.

FO the accident that claimed Klopper's life a few years ago (before my basic understanding of gyro copter) can only be related to the poor workmanship and lack of pride many AP's demonstrate today still, and it could have been avoided.

A bearing cannot be installed upside down? years ago Gyro copter heads had bearings that required attention to right side up, but were within tolerance either way considering a 3206 has a rating of 20000Kn and you could not impose more than 5000Kn onto it ?

Here is a pic, on the right is typical schematic of a head bearing ..how does it not work one way or another???

Who was the AP that worked on that Sycamore? Maybe he can tell us what he did wrong? That would add value to the community and assist all of us who tinker on these peculiar machines.
Not going to say to much (for a change) but a gyro head is a very simple piece of kit, how did he make such a mistake?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 pm

If I read the accident report correctly, in summary the owner had a new (non-approved) rotor-head machined and then assembled & installed it on the gyro himself. The accident investigation identified a number of manufacturing & assembly flaws, the major fault being that the bearing sleeve was installed upside down which resulted in "the rotor separating from the rotor mast in flight".

http://www.caa.co.za/Accidents%20and%20 ... s/8204.pdf
Attachments
caa syc bearing sleeve.jpg
caa syc bearing sleeve.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”