Xenon

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Xenon

Postby greg vos » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Last edited by greg vos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 21 times in total.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
gyropilot
First solo

Re: Xenon RST augment and a way to pass time

Postby gyropilot » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 am

Awesome Greg!

Can't think of anyone else I rather have do the upgrade. your attention to safety / detail and workmanship from your workshop is top notch!

looking forward to see RDY in the sky again soon.

keep us posted - I'm sure other xenon owners would love to have upgrades fitted to their xenon's done by a pro.

P.S don't forget the cup holders!
FAFK - ZUDMJ
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Greg

All the best with this. I for one will be watching this space/process carefully.
I revamped the interior and instrument panel in my previous Xenon and my current Zen.
The CAA mod applications process, their requirements for BCAR-T tests on the instrument panels to +6 / -9 G etc, etc, etc was absolutely ridiculous.
All I can say, all the best with this process.

I don't believe the wiring on that machine is factory fitted, I think it has been fiddled with here locally.
We upgraded to pop-out fuses on our panels which you can isolate the No 1 Pump if you want to.
We moved the headset jacks in the centre console to behind the seats, just before the mast.
I think the overhead console will spoil your unobstructed view that you have in the Xenon.
I think you should check your pre-rotator system if you find it cumbersome. I can never understand why people want to add +- 5-10kg on a gyro for something that you use for +- 30 seconds of total flight time and it might save you 5 seconds on the runway. I also haven't experienced any lateral movement on any of the pre-rotator systems as you mentioned.
Obviously the electric trim is a must as it is standard on all new Zen's.

Anyhow, all the best with this.
Zen Panel.jpg
Zen panel 3.jpg
Xenon Panel 1.jpg
Xenon Panel 2.jpg
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 am

Last edited by greg vos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Greg

I am not sure which month end you are referring to for completion, but myself, a reputable AMO, a AP and Aeronautical Engineer and after many meetings and correspondence gave up on CAA's mod approval requirements, delays, short staffness, etc, etc after about nine months.
Hope you have better luck with that.
I once saw an Asterix and Obelix cartoon where they tried to get something from a government department, which eventually they couldn't. Pretty much how I felt.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
gyropilot
First solo

Postby gyropilot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Screenshot_2016-06-09-17-12-17.png.jpg
Screenshot_2016-06-09-17-12-17.png.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 32282 times
Popped in at Greg's work shop today, unfortunately he was not there - I see the strip down of the xenon proceeds at a brisk pace. =D*

I trust that mess of wires will be sorted?!

Can't wait to see the new cockpit layout - knowing Greg's OCD attention to his work & detail - it's going to be awesome!
FAFK - ZUDMJ
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Last edited by greg vos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
nomie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Re: Xenon RST new pics 13 June

Postby nomie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:05 am

I love this thread!

Maybe its time to look into using LED strobe lights. Will save some weight and no external power supply or strobe unit needed. So interference and high voltage issues also negated.
nomie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby nomie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 am

Whoops did not see that LED strobe lights are already on the shopping list (^^)
gyropilot
First solo

Postby gyropilot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:38 am

XENON UPGRADE UP DATE:

admiring the freshly painted rims.

xeno build 002.JPG

contemplating what we can add / allocate to the new multi button grips?
xeno build 004.JPG
checking the new stronger pre rotator arm
xeno build 005.JPG
it's got to be here somewhere.......
xeno build 006.JPG
FAFK - ZUDMJ
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: Xenon RST new pics 19 June

Postby greg vos » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Last edited by greg vos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:55 am

Hi Greg,

Congratulations in your endeavour, just need to readjust your time scale for deliverables. You will find this exercise very rewarding to have in the end a very comfortable machine, working as you need it to work.
I went through this exercise many years back, and your to do list is basically the same than mine but 6 years later. I purchased the second Xenon that arrived in the country with the first one (known as the Red Machine), and mine is the white "sister". The difference is that I bought a brand new 914 standard stock, so it is a RT.
It was meant to be a complete kit, but in the end probably only 30%. That was a blessing because it forced me to do my thing and being a kit, the law is quite different to your freedom. It was a great success and I have basically not touched anything since my first flight.
The list : Pedals linkage, false floor for heels resting allowing tool compartment, Rudder Teleflex cables with rod end bearings, and complete redesign of angles between the nose wheel, pedals and rudders. The end result, very light on pedals and it can turn on a ticky. Complete new schematics as the recommended wiring had many flaws. 13 fuses are in the circuit compared to the original 5. Push one button and leds confirm all fuses. In those days, Xenons were losing their doors in flight, and according to the french boffin, it was a pilot error ! I made proper carbon fibre frames for the doors and designed the latches. Of course, gas struts.
Instrument panel clogging, like you noticed called for an overhead panel with all switches that are not used often in flight. Don't worry, it does not affect visibility. Like you have said, EFIS is an issue when it goes to sleep, and I currently have that issue, rarely but it is there. Recycle power in flight because the MGL hangs requires full trust in your "feelings" to continue your flight.
Fuel circuit is an individual switch for each pump, and a 3rd for long range tank feeding in flight to the mains. Also a tap for filter service.
Carb choke is a bicycle gear lever fitted behind the pax seat. Used only once per day should not be on the centre console. I have designed a mechanism to use the old choke lever (blue control) to lock the rotors forward (anti gust). The rotor brake is nor very efficient, so I am using bicycle brake shoes that are far better.
I have redesigned the hub bar to give a 2 degree angle of attack instead of 1.5 and extended my short rotors by another 20 cm.
While I was building, all Xenons flying in SA had a oil overheating problem. So I decided to change few things before I would follow the trend. Water radiators are incorrectly mounted. Should face the air flow at least 45 degrees. Other gyros "cured" the problem by having 2 oil radiators. In my test flights, and using only the original small radiator, I noticed my engine running too cold (65 degrees only). I had to mount a thermostat to keep the oil at 90 degrees. Also, everyone thinks that by "ramming" cold air to the engine compartment helps. I chose a different method. Extracting hot air does the trick.
Of course it also has cup holders, and cigarette lighter socket to warm up coffee in flight.
The next job is to find a way to pee in flight ! :roll:
Please understand that you are tackling this work to make your machine more comfortable to your liking, and your liking only. Unfortunately your Xenon will not gain value on the market because of these features. People do not appreciate and do not compare apples with apples. It is only for your own love.
All the best.
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Last edited by greg vos on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
gyropilot
First solo

Postby gyropilot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:27 pm

I am considering a set up where the radio will select the next frequency (so you dont even have to tune the radio to next channel and you will always Tx on the correct frequency automatically based on GPS position and track, how many times have I made my name gyro by transmitting and then to find out I forgot to select the next Tx channel :oops: :oops: ..
now that would be choice!
FAFK - ZUDMJ
gyropilot
First solo

Postby gyropilot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Vertical Tango wrote:The next job is to find a way to pee in flight ! :roll: .
ask Louis - he managed that @ 8500ft on our way back from Calvinia on Friday in a 4 seater sling :lol:
FAFK - ZUDMJ