runway for gyro

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

runway for gyro

Postby Pepper 5 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Some advice please. How well would a gyro do having to take off on a slight downhill, sloped from left to right runway with crosswind most of the time? Its 20m wide and 500m long. Trikes and many 3 axis planes have no problem with it but I'm not sure with a gyro. The gyro would need to fly on a daily basis so its not a once off.

Any help would be much appreciated.
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: runway for gyro

Postby mak » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Pepper 5
Gyros on a sloping runway or crosswind is not a problem, you just need to manage your rotor in the wind.
As long as the slope of the runway is not so severe that if you push your rotor into the wind that the tip touches the upper slope of the runway, but I doubt that it can be that severe.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:26 am

Hi Pepper,

It all depends on the pilot........how much exp. he has on type. If the pilot is a newbie, one would like to take away as much distacting factors on take off and landing as possible. For example like short slopiing , crosswind runway.............

In my humble opinion it also depends on the the amount of power the gyro has, why i say so is because the more power you have the more the torque of the engine will want to you yaw the fuselage. Most gyros have an anticlockwise spinning engine thus resulting on take off for adding of more right rudder and right stick then followed by left stick to counter the left wheel from coming off the ground.

Depending on what direction the slope of the runway is going and By adding a crosswind to the factor it will def make the takeoff more tricky. But with the correct amount of training it will be easly done.

I have a student who's runway is in the mountains and slopes badly and i can tell you i needed to do a couple of flights to get the student comfortable with the new seroundings and sloping runway.

Get hold of an instructor and let him do some training with you or the pilot on that runway. That is the best way to avoid any accident or incident.

My 2sents worth.....
Regards
EbenJnr
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Postby Pepper 5 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks for the input guys, I'll take a photo later and try and post it here so you can see.
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 pm

I take off from a steep runway each time.
One way in , one way out :shock: :shock:

Fly the rotor. - as long as you manage your rotor vs the wind - no problem.

I was warned that a gyro "might" accelerate to quick down hill and cause all kinds of rotor management problem.
I countered the risk by lifting my front wheel just a whee bit higher.
Accelerating rotor quicker, whilst preventing the gyro from accelerating to quick.

Just my 2c.

The guru's will know best.
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!