Sycamore Accident

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

CrashLab
Slow starter

Sycamore Accident

Postby CrashLab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 am

Good Day All

I am currently involved with the accident investigation on a Sycamore gyrocopter - ZU-EUI in South Africa.

The dual brackets attaching the rotor-head assembly (in this case a 33ft aluminium rotor conversion from a 30ft) fractured in flight. The pilot and passenger survived the forced landing. I found the brackets/plates to be of inferior quality, not only when compared to an intact 'reference set', but also for this (crucial) application. I also noted that no part/serial/batch numbers on these brackets, not on the failed nor on the new. Can anyone on this forum supply me with these number/s and if any exist? Did anyone ever experienced the same type of failure/s?

Coenraad Snyman

Physical Metallurgist
Aircraft Accident Investigator (Coenraad@crashlab.co.za)
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Sycamore Accident

Postby nicow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 am

CrashLab wrote:Good Day All

I am currently involved with the accident investigation on a Sycamore gyrocopter - ZU-EUI in South Africa.

The dual brackets attaching the rotor-head assembly (in this case a 33ft aluminium rotor conversion from a 30ft) fractured in flight. The pilot and passenger survived the forced landing. I found the brackets/plates to be of inferior quality, not only when compared to an intact 'reference set', but also for this (crucial) application. I also noted that no part/serial/batch numbers on these brackets, not on the failed nor on the new. Can anyone on this forum supply me with these number/s and if any exist? Did anyone ever experienced the same type of failure/s?

Coenraad Snyman

Physical Metallurgist
Aircraft Accident Investigator (Coenraad@crashlab.co.za)
They are very lucky to be alive...That was fast thinking and lots off experience that helped.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
leprechaun
First solo

Postby leprechaun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Eish , pleased to hear they survived , reminds of the accident a few years ago at Rhino Park when the rotor came off ???? , dont know them that well Leprechaun :shock:
leprechaun
First solo

Postby leprechaun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi Coenrad you may want to contact Glenn Meyer at Springs , 083 662 6565, he does services on Gyros , hope you come right and resolve the issue leprechaun :shock:
crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby crazydoc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Sounds like a close call.
How did it effect rotor function and flight?
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Coenraad

In this a fairly recent accident - I'm not aware of an accident with ZU-EUI.

The SA CAA accident briefs only go up to Sept 2013 - would this incident be more recent ? I couldn't find anything on the broader WWW either.

If possible can you confirm the the basic info - date & location - thank you.

Regards

Steve

http://gyroaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/