RAF 2000 now only,!!!!!!!!!!,

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

RAF 2000 now only,!!!!!!!!!!,

Postby saraf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 pm

R475 000,00 vat included , fully built, brand new.
For more info contact Eben or Gavin Mocke @ 078459263six or 082930053three.
Or @ yolande@rafsa.co.za
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
Rocket
Looking at the sky

Re: RAF 2000 now only,!!!!!!!!!!,

Postby Rocket » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi

This is my first post after registering, so please bear with me.

I am a handy guy and interested to learn the ins and outs of gyro copter flight.
I have read many posts on this forum as a spectator, and have never passed comment, the title to this thread has my attention, I would like to learn to fly, its after all a dream I am certain many men have? and at this kind of money its seems more like a possibility.
What my observations are is that I would like to construct and maintain my own flying machine, the RAF seems to be the aircraft that offers the home builder the best options in this regard? and from what I can tell the most adjustments for trim and set up compared to many others? with a multitude of mechanical goodies to play with when we are not flying, this appeals to me.

The components to construct the RAF seem well designed? and to a layman the aircraft looks or appears to to be similar to the Xenon? and the side by side seating arrangement is also nice, are their flying characteristics of side by side or Tandem that different?

The Magni is nice but it may be beyond my reach at the moment, so what are my options? also its not available as kit? or am I wrong?

I do like the RAF from a builders choice, is it easy to fly and learn to fly? also going through the web sites I see that I will need to do 30 hours of training? will this be sufficient for a man who is not acquainted with flying or how things fly?
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Rocket

My advice to you is to go an fly as many gyros as you can before you make the decision:
Buy a ticket to Upington and go and fly with Eben.

Talk to other pilots who have flown the type of gyro you are interested in and ask them:
how many hours their license took
how many flights instructors is available
what would they do different if they start again
get more info on tandem or side by side gyros
how far is the nearest instructor to do your bi annual flight review
where is the nearest rated AP - to sign the gyro off each year

You can contact one of the following instructors to help you with an intro flight.

If you in Pretoria contact Roelf Palm
Or near Springs - Renier
Or Vereeniging Johan - at Wagtail
Or in Cape town - Len
Or our Boeing gyro pilot - Glen
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:21 pm

t-bird wrote:Hi Rocket

My advice to you is to go an fly as many gyros as you can before you make the decision:
Buy a ticket to Upington and go and fly with Eben.

Talk to other pilots who have flown the type of gyro you are interested in and ask them:
how many hours their license took
how many flights instructors is available
what would they do different if they start again
get more info on tandem or side by side gyros
how far is the nearest instructor to do your bi annual flight review
where is the nearest rated AP - to sign the gyro off each year

You can contact one of the following instructors to help you with an intro flight.

If you in Pretoria contact Roelf Palm
Or near Springs - Renier
Or Vereeniging Johan - at Wagtail
Or in Cape town - Len
Or our Boeing gyro pilot - Glen
Best advise (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I'll second that. Do lots of reading up and fly them all. These days there is no reason not to be informed via the internet. They really are so much fun! vhpy

Glenn
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Tell you this much as far as the Rand/Euro/Dollar goes nowadays :shock: you are going to have to go very far to beat the local guys when it comes to putting a gyro in the sky at the price mentioned above! (^^)
What are you prepared to pay for a gyro and what do you expect in exchange for your bucks. If new can't do it look used. I cant help thinking back fondly to a conversation I had years back with Butch Brown. :wink:
"Hey Butchie, this Magni is darem blêrrie expensive! I can buy a 3 series BMW for the price!"
Butch; " I suppose you could but it wont fly..." :roll:
Enjoy the gyro you fly whatever it may be...you are flying a gyro and if it rings your bell... (^^)
Rocket
Looking at the sky

Postby Rocket » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks guys, yep the price is the issue this one as it seems is available for 475K and its new, the magni offered below is 100K more my resources are tight and even 475 will put me in the dwang with the wife.
Then I still need to learn to fly it.... but I'm getting there, I called my Bank just to see if they would consider a loan (as you say 3 series BM) they are happy to Finance a RAF if I want to go, but with the economy I'm very scared, also reading posts here and on other forums it seems this gyro thing is addictive?

I must admit my limited knowledge and understanding not knowing who you all are or where you are makes me see some undercurrents between different schools or different pilots? like the banter between fresh water fishermen and sea fishing guys. Normally seen at tournaments when there is a cash prise :)
AVR
Thinking of flying

Postby AVR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 am

Greetings Rocket.

Please contact Matthew (083-423-2732) at Brakpan (303 Squadron). He has a number of gyros in his school, and would be more than willing to give you an intro into most of what is available. Would also save you running around for different gyros. Another advantage is, they are all there, so you can line them up, touch them stroke them, sit in them, and then also fly in them, ALL from one location. You will also get an ideal opportunity to speak to someone who is totally impartial to any brand, has hundreds of hours training and flying in them, and he is a very good instructor!!!

Regards
Ashley.
Gompou
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Gompou » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:52 am

AVR wrote:Greetings Rocket.

Please contact Matthew (083-423-2732) at Brakpan (303 Squadron). He has a number of gyros in his school, and would be more than willing to give you an intro into most of what is available. Would also save you running around for different gyros. Another advantage is, they are all there, so you can line them up, touch them stroke them, sit in them, and then also fly in them, ALL from one location. You will also get an ideal opportunity to speak to someone who is totally impartial to any brand, has hundreds of hours training and flying in them, and he is a very good instructor!!!

Regards
Ashley.
Hi AVR
Does he also have a RAF and experience on the tipe
Naked Cobra
ZU-CON
AVR
Thinking of flying

Postby AVR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:08 am

Hi Gompou.

The answer is YES, give him a call!!!!

Regards
Ashley
Rocket
Looking at the sky

Postby Rocket » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you I will certainly do this, I will be in Boksburg from Tuesday next week and springs is just around the corner, I just need to be prepared to pay when I get there because for years I have had to shelve the idea due to other commitments (read- school fees/ bond/ car and so on) so I was hoping the itch would go away :!: but its seems the more I read here the more I need to try it.

The problem is what if I like it...? I am already planing where I can cut back on other household expenses :oops: as a question how many of you guys home build? seems these German machines are all supplied fully built.

I have a mate who used to build scale model radio controlled planes (with extreme patience) nowdays he tells me a person can buy a fully built ready to fly Radio controlled aircraft, but says he misses the build challenge? I am really keen to build, is this then not advisable? I am also thinking to build over a period and getting a kit say over a 12-18 month period could save me getting blue eyes from the wife :) because then I could do it without loans.