Rotor: 2 blade vs 4 blade

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Rotor: 2 blade vs 4 blade

Postby THI » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am

I was thinking, and no it wasn't after a couple of drinks :lol: The development of flying cars is becoming more and more common. So why can't a flying car with a rotor system be on the table? For one the transport of the rotor system. Its just too long. So why not use a shorter 4 blade rotor.

The most common rotor used is the 8.4m (27ft) rotor.

Will a 4 blade rotor (5 meter) be so much more difficult to implement? What a bout RRPM? What RRPM's are we talking about?

A foldable rotor system has already been implemented for helicopters, why not gyros?

You know...just thinking ($$) ($$)
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
MPL Pilot
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Rotor: 2 blade vs 4 blade

Postby MPL Pilot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:28 pm

I understand there are serious stresses on the Rotor head because of the movement from the 2 sets of rotors.

Seems RotorTec has a system that work.
Attachments
135.jpg
Cloud Dancer from RotorTec
If you fail.... get up and try again. That is the only way to succeed!
ZS-VMS, ZU-RGG, ZU-FWY
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Thi, I thinks its probably a case of cost versus benefit.
4 bladed rotor system necessitates a more complex rotor head, additional weight, requires more hangar space and is ultimately a more expensive machine to manufacture - without necessarily offering a vastly superior flight envelope for the price tag.

There are also resonance issues which came into play with a dual rotor system - better insights and explanations here http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showth ... aded+rotor

vhpy Dave
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 am

Rotortec had some really impressive results with the four blade rotors.
See Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbRR9mLLHk
As much as I know, they still plan to deliver the CD2 with the 4 Rotors as the standard configuration. But after changing from aluminum to carbon (due to the different resonance characteristics of the two materials) they are now in the process of redesigning/ adjusting the rotor head to deal with carbon. With the aluminum blades the CD2 delivered impressive climbing performance and smoothness. As the blades can be folded, even less hangar space is needed (the blades are shorter as well).
The owners of the already delivered CD2 have the choice to change to 4 blades once the certification have been granted. Hopefully I will fly 4 blade configurations soon (I have already flown the 2 blade carbon blades). Then I will be able to give feedback.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/