Lets attend Friedrichshafen

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

spinkaan
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Lets attend Friedrichshafen

Postby spinkaan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I have established from the PE German Consolate office that you dont need to personally go for an interview as it is a Schengen Visa that is required. Go to http://www.capetown.diplo.de then select visitor application/visitor tourist. Now download the 4 forms and complete. Send all required docoments via 'speed services' at the Post Office to the address, either in Capetown or Johannesburg, depends where you reside.
okflyer,,,please can you oblige with the contact details for accommodation at Friedrichshaven??
We need to do a provisional booking with Etiad Airlines. The contact there is named 'ROMANA' , she can be contacted on 0861384423.
The fare price quoted might have changed slightly but was at R4617.00 return
Please post your names and contact details here:-
regards
spinkaan

P.Goldsmith 0459749258 0845730018
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Double check that Schengen Visa. They required us personally at the Austrian Consolate, along with a crowd of bodybuilders, so don't presume you can start a paper trail.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Some Information about the Fair in Friedrichshafen and Germ

Postby okflyer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Exhibition: Even the fair has a lot to see; two days are quite enough for a visit.
Compared to other fairs, prices for a quick lunch are still reasonable. Try the local specialty “Maultaschen” (with minced meet or spinach/cheese stuffed noodles).
Transportation from and to the centre of Friedrichshafen is organize by buses and works very well.

Accommodation/Food: As mentioned, I visit the fair only for 2 days. I usually stay in a little hotel with reasonable prices (50/80 single/double Euro per night) located in a small (historic) town approximately 5 km away from the fair. If I know, who and when you guys are coming, I can arrange reservations. Do not hesitate to send me a PM. Prices mostly contain continental breakfast.
Germany is a federal state with a lot of regional specialties. No, we do not feed on Sauerkraut, Wurst and dumplings (well, it depends on the region). The Bodensee region is known for excellent food. Homemade Spaetzle (Swabian noodles) local Beer/Wine and Torten (cakes) are a must to try. Expect 8 to 20 Euro for a one course meal. Glass of beer or wine is around 2 to 4 Euros depending on the locality, region and size of the glass. (^^)

The area:
Friedrichshafen is one of traditional centers of the aviation industry (Zeppelin, ZF, Dornier etc.).
The city is located on the shores of the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz) which is one of the biggest lakes in Europe (The River Rhein, coming from Switzerland, is flowing through the lake on its long way to the Atlantic Ocean). Due to strict waste water treatment, the water has drink water quality. There are a lot of interesting places around there to visit (medieval cities, baroque churches and monasteries, the Alps, Rheinfall of Schaffhausen etc. ) The northern shores of the lake belong to Germany (Federal states of Bavaria and Baden Wuerttemberg), the southern shores belong to Switzerland and a tiny part to Austria. 1, 5 hours by car and less gets you to the Black Forest, Bavaria, Austria, Switzerland, France (Strassbourg, Colmar etc.).
The local people speak German with a very strong “badener” or “swabian” accent depending from which part of the lake they are coming. No Badener likes to be called a Swabian or vice versa (or even worse Bavarian). You can get around with English quite well.

Weather: Even the region is known for very good weather, April can be difficult.
From minus to 28 degrees centigrade, rain, hail, snow, thunderstorms and blue sky with sunshine, everything is possible. Be prepared.

Traffic/Traffic rules: Friedrichshafen has got no direct Autobahn or ICE (high speed train) access. Nevertheless, it is easy to reach by train, car and plane (fairground is vis-à-vis of the runways). During the fair special flight patterns are valid for the GA. It is quite an experience lining up after the fair for takeoff with at least 150 other small and medium planes on 2 runways simultaneously. Except for ferries, toll fees are not common in Germany. But Switzerland requires to buy a 50 Franken badge to glue on your windscreen in order to use their motorways(valid for one calendar year). Austria calls it a Pickerl. Funny name, but very costly. Only necessary for motorways too.
If you get caught on a toll road (by deliberate intention difficult to identify) without a Pickerl, at least 200 Euros are gone. Speeding in Germany is still cheaper than the rip offs in Austria or Switzerland, but do try to avoid it. German Police is quite tolerant up to 10 or 15 km faster than the limit (outside city limits). Do not assume the same attitude from Swiss or Austrian Police. Each extra km cost you a fortune. If you are not a German Resident prepare to pay cash (fees + security deposit). Germans are not patient when it comes to driving. Italians never care for or know the traffic rules (reason why everybody gets along and is part of an organized chaos. Germans know the rules (that is the problem). If the speed limit is 100, go 110 or they blow you off the road. Do not expect any mercy when violating rules for giving way. If we got priority, we are stubborn; we do not like to use the brakes, even we have to crash. Our cars are holy cows, we worship them, and part of our religion is that nobody drives better than we do (especially not people from other parts of the world). For your own sake, avoid to get close to cars with yellow number plates, if you see a Dutch car without a trailer; be careful, the trailer might be around somewhere (just joking). Germany has no general speed limit for roads with 2 or more lanes for each direction (Autobahn, Kraftfahrstrasse). So, there you can drive as fast you can unless restricted by traffic signs or your driving ability (Yes, we use the right lane, a PIC always sits in the left chair). The law requires staying on right lane unless overtaking. So going fast and staying left won’t be an option, because there will be always someone with a faster car (or suicidal intentions) who tries to overtake you.

Money: The Euro is the official currency for Germany, Austria, Benelux and France (and other euro countries as well). No checks for crossing the borders (except Switzerland). Switzerland is not a member of EU and still got the very very expensive Franken (currency). German shops want cash. In order to avoid fees, a lot of German shops and supermarkets do not accept any credit cards. Due to the common currency and the different inflation rate in each country, Germany became one of the cheapest countries in the Euro Zone.
Tips: You normally round up. A bill of 7.90 would be 10 Euros. But usually you give between 1.50 to 3 Euros (depending on the bill)

Hope, the info might be useful. Cheers (!!)
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
spinkaan
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby spinkaan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks okflyer for the info. It seems that the chaps are a bit slow to commit themselves for the trip but I have today booked my seat and payed my fair to fly to Munich. I booked with Etiad airlines on flight EY603 on 17 April and return on 30 April. Anyone interested can contact them on 011-3439140 to book. Present cost R6353.00 return airfair including taxes.
Come now do it.
spinkaan
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Only saw this thread yesterday. Guess that is the price to pay when you don't fly a WOER-WOER and never visit their sanctum :wink:

I can kick myselve ! :twisted:

I am off to Germany for a job and booked Lufthansa last month from 2 April to 17 April. Damn, had I seen this I would have added another couple of days onto my stay. Now it is going to cost me 120 Euro to make a change and another 230 Euro to pay in the difference per return flight. Make that x2 because missus comes along and we talk about an added R 7000.00. :twisted: :twisted:

And to rub salt into the wound, I am going to Nuernburg which is literally around the corner from Friedrichshafen. :(> :(>

I want to kick holes into a taxi right now ! :(
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

kloot piloot
Well, you must fly something that is much faster than a WOER-WOER to call more than 300km araund the corner.
Cheers ##

kloot piloot wrote:Only saw this thread yesterday. Guess that is the price to pay when you don't fly a WOER-WOER and never visit their sanctum :wink:

And to rub salt into the wound, I am going to Nuernburg which is literally around the corner from Friedrichshafen. :(> :(>

I want to kick holes into a taxi right now ! :(
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, I've heard that the high speed ICE train you guys have in Germany makes almost everything quite quick to get to ! 300plus km/h ? Can't wait to travel on it on Tuesday. (^^)
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:21 pm

($$) Sorry: Friedrichshafen has got no direct Autobahn or ICE (high speed train) access.
Get a rental and ride the Autobahn, only the last 50 Km are not Autobahn.
Enjoy yourself, I am looking forward to be there again, too.
(^^)
kloot piloot wrote:Well, I've heard that the high speed ICE train you guys have in Germany makes almost everything quite quick to get to ! 300plus km/h ? Can't wait to travel on it on Tuesday. (^^)
spinkaan
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby spinkaan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:58 pm

This is the last thread about Frierichshaven chaps, those that did not book to go must maar stay. My seat is booked and acom arranged, only thing still to get is a German Rail Pass, but will buy it there.
Cheers
Spinkaan