The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

OzGyro
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Sycamore

Postby OzGyro » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi All

Can someone please tell me the weight of a Sycamore, I know they probably vary a little but approximate will be fine. And what size rotors were they originally fitted with?

Cheers
Darren
gyrofan
First solo

Re: Sycamore

Postby gyrofan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Phone Johan at Wagtail ( 082 452 8194 ), they have about 4 or 6 in the hanger and he knows their specs by heart. All I can remember from listening is that the "chopped down version" was around 330 kg, the "standard version" around 360-370 and then the Subaru 1800 I saw some 2-3 years back clocked a mind boggling 440 kg.......that on a CERTIFIED scale...
bulldog
Signed up at flight school

Postby bulldog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 am

Hi Darren.We owned a Sycamore-fitted it with 2.5 subaru and 33 foot Advanced kinetics rotors,3 bladed magnum ivo prop.Weight 398Kg.It flew like a dream.One of the best Gyros i have ever flown.I still believe the eng,prop,rotor combination is the way to go-buy a sycomore airframe and get Johann to fit the engine etc.It has plenty of power and handles like a dream.Wish i had one in Oz .Have a look at www.aviomania.com The first single seater arrives in Feb.Trust you are enjoying SA.Regards Gary
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 am

The Genesis is a great gyro. The electric pre rotator makes it very light and efficient.

I have been in contact with Nicolas Karaolides and my concern again is altitude.

They are flying in Cyprus from sea level. Density altitude is max 3 000 feet.

It is a bit lighter than the Magni M-18 but the M-18 has a Rotax 582 engine.

The fuel tank is also smaller than the Magni’s.

This gyro would need a changes to operate at the Highveld

1) 26 feet rotors
2) Rotax 582 or bigger
3) Larger fuel tank
bulldog

Postby bulldog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 am

Hi T-Bird.Im the agent for Oz and NZ.The single seater will work very well at altitude with the ratex582.We can supply you with 24,25,26,(up to 33foot)rotors.I believe it will fill a big gap in the SA market.Nicolas is great to deal with.I will have my first gyros in Feb.Regards Gary.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Bulldog

Thanks for the offer. But the Genesis is designed for a Rotax 503 and shorter blades. They are currently using dragon wing rotors.
By changing the engine to a 582 Rotax, you change the centre of gravity and thrust line, you also add additional weight with the radiators longer rotors.

The CAA in South Africa is not happy if you build a gyro from a plan and then make these adjustments.
They could also be difficult if dragon wing rotors are specified and you use Advance kinetic rotors.

If the gyro was designed for the 582, it would have been a different story.

Regards

Callie
bulldog

Postby bulldog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Callie.The Genesis is designed for the 503 and 582.It will fly great at altitude with the 25 footers.Their is no issue with the 582 and the CoB.Nicolas will confirm this im sure.As far as certification goes im fully aware on the difficulties and process involved in getting new aircraft sorted in SA.The system is easier to work with in Oz.Our rotors are used extensively for mustering in Oz and have accumulated many thousands of hours.(a lot of mustering is done in single seaters).If you could get the Genesis through the SACAA process you would have a winner.Regards Gary.(The Advanced Kinetics are the aliminium rotors that are on a couple of sycomores in SA)
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:32 pm

I'll vouch for the AK rotors. My Sycamore weighs in at a massive 360kg (doors on full house) and with the 33ft rotors flies like a dream. Rattex914 has more than enough grunt 2 up full tanks & I only use the turbo to show off.
Before someone gets smart and says 'ja but you fly at sea level most of the time' (which is true) I have had it all over the country without ever worrying about running out of lift.

Len