The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Starting to Fly Gyro's

Postby Jabbanaught » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi All

I got introduced to the world of aviation by my brother (condor on site ) in 2006 , Wanting to fly i thought that you have to fly a plane.

I bought a new Jabiru 430 in 2007 and did my PPL and really enjoyed flying , But always when in PTA visiting i loved the feeling of flying in a gyro.

Well i am now busy with training as i bought a M16 in Pta and have had my intro flight with Jetranger , And its different but as Len explained respect the Rotor and the effects its an awesome machine .

My self and Jetranger will be flying to PTA soon tp go fetch the M16 , And i will keep you up to date on the training .

And no i will still be flying the Jabi as i really love flying her too , Yes i am an aviation nut and want to be in the air as much as possible . I think that the gyro just give you more options in landing and really enjoy flying .

Paul
Autogyro - Calidus ZU- ???
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Starting to Fly Gyro's

Postby Learjet » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:27 pm

(^^)
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Condor » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Welkom by ons Gyro mense. Jy sal moet 'n Gyro avatar kry!!!!!

Yes you will love the Gyro, specially in the windy Cape (Ask FO-Gyro).

Jetranger, look weel after my little brother (HaHA)

Explain to the rest of us how you see his training program, comming from a PPL background.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Paul,

Congratulations on getting involved with gyro's. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere quickly, they are aviation's best kept secret! vhpy

Wishing you lots of happy hours in your M16.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 am

Jabi430

Welcome to the gyro family. Hope you enjoy every minute in the gyro. (^^) (^^)
Would like to get your comments on how easy the "conversion" from Jabi to gyro is. I suspect once you get the general feel of the gyro the rest will be easy.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 am

FO Gyro wrote:Paul,

Congratulations on getting involved with gyro's. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere quickly, they are aviation's best kept secret! vhpy

Wishing you lots of happy hours in your M16.
Hopefully will be invited by to go fly with you !
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 am

mak wrote:Jabi430

Welcome to the gyro family. Hope you enjoy every minute in the gyro. (^^) (^^)
Would like to get your comments on how easy the "conversion" from Jabi to gyro is. I suspect once you get the general feel of the gyro the rest will be easy.
Its different but the basics the same , Speed is very much a slower , But the jabi is more rudder sensitive .

Will keep you up to date !
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Paul

It was great to fly with you on Friday, your days in the back seat are now over!
Congratulations with your purchase! It certainly looks like a stunning machine (I like the big windscreen!). You can't go wrong with an M16 in my humble opinion.

Condor, as far as the 'conversion' to gyro's is concerned, my experience is as follows: 3 axis microlight pilots are the easiest to train. Once they have a good understanding of ground rotor management and gyroscopic precession it is really a very simple conversion. Microlight pilots are used to constant small inputs and are very speed conscious. Personally, I think thats what makes a good gyro pilot. (As a former heli pilot, I am on record saying that helicopter pilots are the most difficult to train. For some reason their speed and power management sucks and it takes a long time for them to get it right)

Paul's training will be quick. During our first flight he landed the machine on the first circuit! Flared a little high but otherwise overall very good - and thats from the back! We'll spend a lesson or two on takeoffs and landings, a lesson or two on precision flying, emergencies and then he will be ready to go solo. Then its just a question of building hours, doing a flight test and Voila.
Hoe moeilik kan dit nou wees? :lol:
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:53 am

Jabi430 wrote:Well i am now busy with training as i bought a M16 in Pta and have had my intro flight with Jetranger
Baie geluk Paul. (^^)
Jabi430 wrote:My self and Jetranger will be flying to PTA soon tp go fetch the M16
Is dit Kitty Hawk in die agtergrond ? Len julle moet laat weet as julle die kant toe kom. Sal dit geniet om saam julle 'n koffietjie te geniet by Kitty.

Gaan julle die outjie afvlieg, en dan sommer die ure boek ? 8) :mrgreen:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:14 am

Big UPPS Paul, I like the decision you have made. Congratulations on your new purchase. Wish you many happy and safe flying hours in her.
I also did an intro with Jet R and was hooked. I wonder what it is about him?? vhpy
Or is it about a gyro??
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 am

Grumpy wrote:Big UPPS Paul, I like the decision you have made. Congratulations on your new purchase. Wish you many happy and safe flying hours in her.
I also did an intro with Jet R and was hooked. I wonder what it is about him?? vhpy
Or is it about a gyro??

Think its the gyro effect with him being so calm about it :P vhpy (**)
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Jabi430 wrote: Hopefully will be invited by to go fly with you !
Paul, I've never been up in a Jabie, would like to come up with you sometime. For sure, we must go fly together. Lots of places to explore here that you previously might not have been able to get close to in a fixed wing.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:31 pm

FO Gyro wrote:
Jabi430 wrote: Hopefully will be invited by to go fly with you !
Paul, I've never been up in a Jabie, would like to come up with you sometime. For sure, we must go fly together. Lots of places to explore here that you previously might not have been able to get close to in a fixed wing.

Let me know if you around this weekend weather looks good for saturday !

Thats the idea seen so many places but cannot get into it with the fixed wing , I will also ask Len to teach me to land on the real short and nasty stuff , just for incase !
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Well i had my first official lesson today with Jetranger , We did a couple of touch and go's , Must admit i battled a bit with pushing the stick forward after the noise lifted , Everything is telling me to pull back like in the fixed wing , but here i have to wait for the speed to come up .

We flew in weather today that i will not even consider taken the plane out , I am starting to understand why Gyro's are so nice .

Will keep you up to date !
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi guys sorry for being so quiet .

Well last week friday had a lesson again , And just after take off "jetranger " thought it good to pull the throttle on me , And yes the immediate reaction is to pull back , Which i did "yes yes stupid , have done it so many times in fixed wing , why would it be different" , well any case after pointing the nose down i was short on my planned landing .

We did a couple of touch and go's and Len had it in for me the day by pulling the throttle another three times on me . One thing i can say without doubt , EFATO or engine out in a Gyro is far less stressfull than in my fixed wing , Actually i like the feeling of the glide / autorotation .

I try and make a habbit of flying the jabi after having a gyro lesson to get the difference cemented in my mind as i want to fly both and do not want to get confused , but can already see that the gyro will become the preffered flying machine .

Len and myself had a discussion and i want him to be hard on me , I want to learn not just fly and i must say he is excellent , he has alot of experience to share .

We will be at kitty hawk from the 6 August to go get the gyro , our intended flighplan is to fly to gariep , Join the jabi guys in the Jabbi fly inn on the saturday and fly from there to Fash maybe with another stop at worcester .

Safe flying

Paul
Magni M22 - ZU EGA