news of cloud dancer II

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

volki
Signed up at flight school

news of cloud dancer II

Postby volki » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Rotortec has received with his cloud dancer II, extensive tests and proofs, according to the strict German regulations, temporary traffic licensing!!! Flight tests start! (3-and 4 sheet rotors!!!!!!). This becomes a bomb!!! keep you informed !

regards
V
volki

Re: news of cloud dancer II

Postby volki » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm

this the cloud dancer II
Attachments
Maroc1.JPG
cloud dancer II
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 pm

When can we expect one in SA? Price?
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Looks like it will have a 3 blade rotor system? Length of the rotors? Performance?
Please give us more info!

Len
volki

Postby volki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 am

hallo,
rotortec is in tests with 3-and 4 blade rotor system. the target will be more stability,agility, economy and speed. length about 5,50-5,70 m. the new engine => 130hp !
as soon i know more i´ll keep you informed.
salut
volki
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 pm

volki wrote:rotortec is in tests with 3-and 4 blade rotor system. the target will be more stability,agility, economy and speed. length about 5,50-5,70 m. the new engine => 130hp
Len, maybe you must put that M24 on hold.
:wink:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
volki

Postby volki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm

without question, the m24 is a good gyro .
the cloud dancer will be as well good and will set new points !!!!! :idea:
volki
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm keen on all new developments on Gyro's and know that there will be huge advances soon.
They have been stagnant in development for far too long.
Multiple rotors and the use of new light weight materials is the way to go!

In the meantime I have ordered the M24 because I want one. :-)

By the time the Rotortec is approved in this country my M24 will have enough hours on to replace :lol:
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi All

They had multiple rotors in the late 1930s and early 1940s - just look at my avatar vhpy

I think multiple rotors are the way to go too because they will do away with the relatively low frequency vibration inherent in a two-bladed rotor and replace it with a much higher frequency vibration which should be less noticable and less destructive.

I presume that the 5.5 - 5.7 m is the diameter in which case it will be almost half that of the Magni (about 28 ft). The only problem will be to store it because unless the blades fold you cannot have then fore and aft like a two-bladed rotor. The smoothness may be worth it though.

On the subject of worth, Volki, what are they likely to cost?
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Eggbeater,
Correct me if I am wrong. Is that Gyroglider in your avater one of those that was towed behind the german subs whilst on surface for spotting during the 2WW? It is displayed at Duxford musium.
Vernon :)
volki

Postby volki » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am

hi eggbeater,
wright that it is. the rotorblades will be fold (turn down) to store/transport the gyro !!
the full equipted gyro (radio, headsets, gps, glassavionic, ele. prerotator....) will cost 57900.-€ ex work. (see on www.rotortec.com , speciale action 2009).

hi jetranger,
congratulation ! i understand the feeling to get a "baby" !!!!!!

regards
volki
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi All

Vernon, you are correct as to the type of aircraft but this one I saw at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Centre in Washington. A most amazing place. Apparently the Smithsonian, I think, has or had a hanger full of rare aircraft that it used to rotate with its exhibits until someone decided to open another museum using a lot of the aircraft and this is it. We had dinner seated around a space shuttle.

On the gyro itself, it is called or labelled as a Focke-Achgelis FA 330A rotary-wing kite and it was towed from a submarine as high as 220m enabling targets to be located as far as 53km. Apparently U-boat commanders did not like it because it gave away their position both visually and by radar. Apparently an "ingeneous parachute system allowed the pilot to escape from the aircraft at relatively low altitudes" which is quite interesting. Perhaps someone should look into this with a view to adapting it for our use.

Of interest to Volki though, it looks as thought he blades folded and they must have because the aircraft was stored in two watertight tubes in the U-boat conning tower and could be assembled or disassembled in three minutes although also of interest could be this tractor gyroplane with three folding blades
DSCN1442.jpg
DSCN1442.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
Apparently this was used to deliver post in big cities where it would land and take off from the tops of buildings (this sounds a bit far fetched to me). I suppose it was less expensive than a helicopter and I don't think helicopters were that advanced in the 1930s.
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:11 pm

THANKS EGGBEATER.
VERY INTERESTING LITTLE CRAFT.
YES, THE POSTAL SERVICE FROM THE TOP OF BUILINGS IS IN FACT TRUE.
VERNON.
PORT EDWARD.
volki

Postby volki » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 pm

hi,
igor benson did many experiences with 4-bladerotors and wrote a lot of documentairies about:
" conclusions: better efficiency, better lift, less drag, less (no) vibrations, better flares, stiffer and cheaper blades, less fatigue, better sound and so on etc..."
i hope you all will agree with me : the company rotortec works on the wright way and the will create a "new generation" of gyros !
that´s why i´m looking forward on this comp. !
rgds
volki
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi volki

I think that any person/company who is prepared to experiment and push the limits should be commented and particularly if they are experimenting with gyroplanes because that is how the sport will progress. It will remain stagnant if no-one experiments and while we may have the ultimate machines which cannot be taken any further already we will never know without someone experimenting to see if it cannot be done better.

They will have to overcome certain prejudices from the more conservative but that will always be the case and you never know, it three or more blades is really a lot better then perhaps the other gyroplane manufacturers will be dragged along.

I can remember on SA Agullhas on the early 1980s, the two super pumas (HIZ and HJA) had folding blades which, if my memory serves me correctly, were locked in position with a rather hefty pin but then these were pitch adjustable blades which would have made things even more complex so it should be possible with a gyroplane.
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR