Training @ Rundu Namibia

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Training @ Rundu Namibia

Postby WhiteEagle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi All,
I'm fairly new to this group, was a long time a PPG'er, but the knees could not hold up anymore, so the next logical step was to go to trikes. Got hold of a Aquilla 582 Blue Top. My pride and joy. Started training yesterday morning on the schools 503, but suddnely got heavy gusty crosswind and at a stage the groundspeed was zero, on the ground is seemed a lot calmer, just as we hit about 200ft, no penetration, went up to 1600' and it was a bit calmer, went downwing like a rocket and turning in for finals took quite a while, my instructor did a very good landing I thought, come yesterday afternoon, he told me he had quite a scare and it was on of the worst crosswind gusts he had encountered in a long time. So, we made it, and I hoped sinserely that my second flight would be calmer, and whalla, all went well, did about 5 sircuits and 15 landings and take-off's (long runway 3.5km). This morning the wind gave us a hint that it's not flying weather, so postponed to this afternoon, and what a glorius excersise it proofed to be. Did about 7 sircuits and 20 landings and take-off's.

The PPG experiance really helped a lot (according to my Instructor, Dirk Oelofse) and hope we get some more flying done this week as I took leave for this week, and I live in Mariental, 960km from here in Rundu, so getting here and back is quite expensive and time consuming.

Cheers
Willem
Mariental, Namibia
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Training @ Rundu Namibia

Postby nicow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 am

Willem-welcome!
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Would love to fly over over Nam by trike - all the military camps we were at as well as Southern angola.

I'm sure oom Willie se Pad should be clear of landmines by now. :)

Awesome scenery and those sunsets are mesmerising.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
MADDOG
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MADDOG » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Willem

I also did some training in the Rundu area during the early '80s. But mine consisted more of slaan dekking in the black mud with a sersant vloeking us out!

Enjoy your training.
Aquilla the Hun
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks guys
Ja, olso did a tour nearby (Securing farms in the Grootfontein area at one stage), that was untill one of the troepe got a farmer's daughter preggies, was the quikest retreat I ever encountered, the entire Alpa and Bravo Company....... and then the UNTAG'S came :x
Got some good training today, weather is starting to get better. But sleep still eludes me, lodging alone in the hanger here, very lonesome if you are use to a couple of youngsters in the house. The trainng keeps the mind goiing; and goiing; and goiing. But all worth it.

Willem
Namibia
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi All

Back in Mariental, the weather did not play along the last session in Rundu, so no Solo at this stage. Weather at his stage in Mariental perfect fot some more training , waiting for Dirk to come and do some annual inspections in the South within the next two weeks. Will try to finish off then. Will work on the timing for landing to get that perfect, this time on my Aquilla, can't wait. Any more tip's and advise?
Willem
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Yes have an awesome time getting that licence. i was at ondangwa air force base dec 1979 to june 1981 driving kwe voels. would love to fly in that area. Enjoy
Man small...why fall?..Skies call...that's all.
ZU-EJU
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi All,

Almost done with the solo, if all goes well, will ghet the colours Friday in Swakop.

Here's a video link.

http://www.filetourl.com/07c77206

Enjoy.
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Awesome vid beautifull scenery nostalgic feels like an aquilla vhpy thanks for sharing
ZU-EJU
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks. No, I would be so lucky to train on a Aquilla, it's the school's 503. Well, glad to say that I did the last Solo hours Thursday morning in Rundu, got an appointment that same evening in Swakopmund, drove the 880km for the flight test and passed. Now just waiting for DCA for the paperwork. Feels good now that everything is finalized.

V5-UPZ
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:59 pm

A dream fulfilled. a true fighter for what you want ## well done :!: may you reap the joy in the flying that lies ahead. congrats (^^) happy landings vhpy
ZU-EJU