Finally getting going!

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: Finally getting going!

Postby Beefmaster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 am

Did some more circuits yesterday afternoon, was supposed to do no power landings, but the breeze was up, so more of the same exercise 12, 13 again... Been doing powered landings for the last 6:20 already!! I need to move on now!! ##

Anyway, windfinder predicts a calm week ahead, so maybe I can get solo by Sunday!

Total time now 7:56 (-)
ZU-DMB -> Worlds hottest Raptor 582
A powerline never hits an aircraft, except in self-defence.
Gavin Kukard
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am

s023 s023 s023 s023 s023 s023 s023
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for the motivation Tailspin, seems my instructor feels that we have regressed, so will prob be doing more powered approaches. Feels like i'm never gonna get out of the circuit. Need more motivation guys please!! Deon in Hoedspruit signed me off at 5:40 already for solo while I was on holiday there. Its not like i'm landing hard or anything, rounding out a bit low but putting it down well. Dont get it...

Please tell me you guys also spent forever doing powered approaches in the circuit??

NEED NEW SCENERY PLEEEZZZ!!!! (**)
Gavin Kukard
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:21 am

Beefmaster

remember the Instructor is seeing things from a different aspect, you are most probable not 100% ready for something which is important. You may think you are ready but he knows when you are and he will send you when the time is right. Do not be in a rush Listen to him and learn, keep learning it is not wasted time trust me it is not wasted time.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Good point Tailspin, thanks man :) So powered approaches it will be then!! Hehe... Hopefully this afternoon if someone switches the fan off outside... ##
Gavin Kukard
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Jip like Tailspin said the instructor have method in his madness ## soak up all the back seat driving for as long as you can it will just make you a better pilot in the end :)

I know how you feel, I once counted that I did 17 landings in 1 hour (**) and after solo there was still 15 hours of circuits left (**)

Just put your head down and enjoy the rest of your training
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
HENNING JOHAN
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby HENNING JOHAN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:51 am

Tribal Croc wrote:Jip like Tailspin said the instructor have method in his madness ## soak up all the back seat driving for as long as you can it will just make you a better pilot in the end :)

I know how you feel, I once counted that I did 17 landings in 1 hour (**) and after solo there was still 15 hours of circuits left (**)

Just put your head down and enjoy the rest of your training
Like TC said after the back seat driver is out you are on your own!You will miss all the advice that your instructor taught you a specialy in flying out of trouble!Maybe the instructor saw the low rounding out.He is maybe not happy with it. :( But with training your eye will set in for the landing!Power off landings is a lekker exerice!!It's fast!After your solo you going to do another 2 hours of circuit flying!Enjoy it! (^^) ##
FLY SAFE!!FLYBOY OBD.Aerotrike Scout 503 ZU-CAI.
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

Hehe! Yes he told me we're doing more circuits after I go solo :) I dont mind, its just that milestone I have to get to!! But close now, done 9:21, next lesson is the engine outs, then stalls and thenb solo! ##

A guy that also did his licence with my instructor says he misses the comfort of having the backseat driver. I can imagine! Especially as you're on your own and not experienced to handle emergency etc...

Lekker! I'll keep you guys posted!
Gavin Kukard
MADDOG
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MADDOG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Just keep it up and believe me, your instructor knows best!

I recall thinking it is impossible to control x-wind landings. I would aim for, and try my best to, touchdown on the grass left of the runway only to end up in the bushes on the right. Now we end up landing between fenches only to notice the x-wind once on the ground.
Aquilla the Hun
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Keep your head up BM! Make peace with the fact that you will still do MANY circuits! Eventually you will feel like you can do them with your eyes closed... haha. I also got frustrated during training but remember that your instructor does not just look at how you land... there are many aspects he/she has to take into account before you are ready to solo. It'll happen when you are ready mate.

Enjoy the time you have with a "back up" in the rear seat chom... there have been a couple times where Ive really missed that little bit of coaching haha! (^^) 8)

A little trick I was made to do was to swop the circuit direction every 3rd landing or so (Even runway heading if the wind is not a problem)... you will be amazed how things change just going the other way around. 8)

Edit: If it makes you feel any better BM I only went solo on 15.4HRS!
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hey Bundy,

I know about those circuits!! At witbank we also have to switch every so often, gotten used to it so very comfortable now landing any runway. First left hand circuit felt weird though!! Did some more idle approaches yesterday, greased them like a champ!! Coach is happy, I'm happy, engine outs next! Then GF for stalls :)

Looking forward to some new stuff. My training file just says lessons 12 and 13, 12 and 13, the last like 10 entries! Hehe!!

9:56 now, feels like I'm "flying" through the training. Aaaahhh its awesome :) :)
Gavin Kukard
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 pm

:lol: :lol: Hey Beefmaster congrats, see......it is as easy as squeezing some cat-juice :lol:
Regards
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 am

Hey BM,

Was just wondering if youve experienced the same "defect" as I have. I seem to be much more comfortable turning to the left as opposed to turning to the right? My instructor said its very common and even he has a "preffered' direction to turn.

I am sure its just a mental thing but even now my left hand turns are much easier than my right hand turns. Its just weird? haha (^^)
Beefmaster
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Beefmaster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 pm

@Jeantree: I'm telling you!! Its really just like that, AND I can squeeze cats in a crosswind ;)

@Bundy: Well I cant really say, but if anything I would say I'm a little more comfortable with a right turn, since of the 946,231 circuits I've now flown, about 99.9% were right hand circuits ;)
Gavin Kukard
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Patience is a virtue
Virtue is a GRACE
and Grace is a name of a
Little Girl who has a dirty face vhpy
Enjoy your training relax SOLO will come when you are ready
and most important when your instructor knows without doubt that you are