Skills test

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Skills test

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Morph wrote:Nope, that's changed

you have to do a skills test at every renewal, irrespective of the amount of hours you have flown, and you have a choice of for one year or two. Makes sense to go for the two.
Take it this is License Renewal?
All news to me :shock: :shock:
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Grumpy wrote:
Morph wrote:Nope, that's changed

you have to do a skills test at every renewal, irrespective of the amount of hours you have flown, and you have a choice of for one year or two. Makes sense to go for the two.
Take it this is License Renewal?
All news to me :shock: :shock:
Affirm, for license renewal. Its a major schlep. You have to be mad not to go for a 2 year license now.

Attached the guidelines for the weightshift skills test on the RAASA website.

http://www.raasa.co.za/images/PDF/Apend ... SHIFT).pdf

Conducting the skill test
2.1 The flight instructor, conducting the skill test referred to in section 1, may not be the flight instructor from whom the applicant received more than 3 hours of flight training.
2.2 Notwithstanding the provisions in 2.1, the instructor conducting the skill test may have conducted the training for exercises 27 – 29.

Morph: Pap, as in not my trike, spirit 15 wing climbs spiritedly two up :lol: . The aquilla with a 503 is pap and took me by surprise to the point where I was looking for somewhere to do an emergency landing while Louie wanted to know why I hadn't turned crosswind yet!!! This might have been my perception though having not flown for a few months.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 pm

AndyG wrote:What is the maximum time period for a lapsed license before they require you to do the full license again?

Anyone have this info as I am getting so many different stories????
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 pm

AndyG wrote:
AndyG wrote:What is the maximum time period for a lapsed license before they require you to do the full license again?

Anyone have this info as I am getting so many different stories????
5 years.

Before that you need to do airlaw after 2 years, and maybe some other subjects as well, don't have my booklet with me.

And oh yes, you mean minimum time period. After 5 years the requirements stays the same. A full license.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:40 pm

And if you don't have 5 hours (AFAIK) in the preceeding 12 months you need a check flight with an instructor even if your license is still valid. If you drink a beer with your right hand 3 months prior to a flight you need to hop on your left leg 6 times before you can fly with a pax. ##
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Biggles wrote:And if you don't have 5 hours (AFAIK) in the preceeding 12 months you need a check flight with an instructor even if your license is still valid. If you drink a beer with your right hand 3 months prior to a flight you need to hop on your left leg 6 times before you can fly with a pax. ##
By law, if you don't have 3 landings in the 3 months prior to your flight, you may not take a passenger. As you are not current on your license on type.

The 5 hour thing is by all accounts a redundant piece of law that means nothing any more. You are now forced to be signed out by an instructor for a license renewal. Before this law was enforced, if you had flown 5 hours in the year preceding your renewal (I actually think that it was 3 hours), you could just make a copy of your logbook, and pay the money, and you had yourself a license. Even if you have flown 100 hours in the year before your renewal, you still need to be signed out by an instructor on the current law.

I think the current interpretation on the law, and I may need some help here, is that if you didn't fly the 5 hours, you need an instructor to check you out and then fly the 5 hours PIC before you will get your renewal.

By all accounts, this is the safer way to go.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun May 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Wargames wrote: The 5 hour thing is by all accounts a redundant piece of law that means nothing any more. You are now forced to be signed out by an instructor for a license renewal. Before this law was enforced, if you had flown 5 hours in the year preceding your renewal (I actually think that it was 3 hours), you could just make a copy of your logbook, and pay the money, and you had yourself a license. Even if you have flown 100 hours in the year before your renewal, you still need to be signed out by an instructor on the current law.

I think the current interpretation on the law, and I may need some help here, is that if you didn't fly the 5 hours, you need an instructor to check you out and then fly the 5 hours PIC before you will get your renewal.

By all accounts, this is the safer way to go.
If you don't have 5 hours in the 12 months preceeding you have to get a check flight with instructor before you can fly again, doesn't matter if its for a renewal, so the 5 hour law is not at all redundant for being current aswell or renewal.

So the time line of currency starts at 3 months when you cannot take a pax until you have done your 3 landings then at 12 months you need to do a check flight before you are current.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun May 02, 2010 6:37 pm

So if your license lapses, say for 2 years and you want to renew you will have to do a skills test and how do you get your 5 hours without a license? Do you then have to apply for a student license until you can apply for your full license?
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Biggles wrote:So if your license lapses, say for 2 years and you want to renew you will have to do a skills test and how do you get your 5 hours without a license? Do you then have to apply for a student license until you can apply for your full license?
Less than 2 year, pretty much. Dont know about the student license, you need to ask an instructor.

More than 2 year, you need to do airlaw, and maybe some subjects that have been added since you got your license. Need to check this in your airlaw booklet. It is all there.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 am

Nobody has actually quoted the regulations. We are in a local club discussion on this issue and from what the regs say, no skills test required if you have done 5 hours in the preceeding year.

From Part 62 on RAASA web:
62.16.10 The holder of a type rating by name for light sport aeroplanes shall not act as pilot-in-command of a light sport aeroplane unless he or she –
(a) has acted as pilot-in-command of a light sport aeroplane for a minimum of 5 hours in the 12 months immediately preceding the intended flight and such minimum flight time may include flights undertaken by the pilot whilst receiving training appropriate to the type of light sport aeroplane; or
(b) has passed a skills test with an appropriately rated flight instructor within the three months immediately preceding the intended flight; and
(c) if transporting a passenger, has within the 90 days immediately preceding the flight on which such passenger is to be transported, as pilot-in-command has executed not less than three take-offs and three landings in a light sport aeroplane
I am not saying that doing a flight test is a bad thing - in fact it is a good thing - however the regs do not stipulate it as a requirement from what I can tell. Does anyone have anything else to offer in the way of regulation that does indicate that a skills test is compulsory assuming you have satisfied (a)?
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

According to 62.01.9 you must maintain competency, undergo proficiency test every 24 months, and this should be conducted by an instructor.

The paragraph quoted above 62.16.10 is a subsection of the part dealing with type rating, and seems to contradict the above but is applicable to flying a certain type, which can only done if a or b, and c has been adhered to. So, as I read it, to fly a type, you should adhere to 62.16.10 and to fly a microlight at all, you should adhere to 62.01.9

G
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

That's it Gert. Thanks.