Challenger Approach

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Tobie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Challenger Approach

Postby Tobie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Enjoy flying my Challenger very much and approaching the 100hr mark with it. During my training and ever since my approach speed has been 70mph no flaps. I am now experimenting slower approaches 60mph after reading articles on Challenger pilots using 50mph approach as a bench mark or stall speed plus 30% thereof.

Now I am curious about what would the considerations be around approach speed and the use of flaps on a Challenger II with 582 Rotax, 3blade wooden prop, and under what circumstances.
Playing Planes.
ZU-BCW / ZU-BOC
Aerotrike / Challenger
Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Challenger Approach

Postby Wallaby » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:42 pm

I also do approaches at 60mph when I fly with passenger, but when I'm alone I will approach at 50mph. The Challie I'm flying have the long wings and stalls at 28mph so reallisticly the approach speed should be at around 38mph, but at that speed the speed bleeds of very quickly with small control inputs and if you are to high above ground before touchdown you'll suddenly find yourself falling 3ft or more from the air, because you've suddenly runs out of speed.

Most of us doesn't realize how fast your speed bleeds away before touchdown. That's why most student pilots have hard landings. They consentrate on the approach speed and then take their eyes away from the panel to land the plane without quick glimpses at the panel to check their speed.

I would like the Chally to have larger ailerons and some flaps and I think then this awesome aerie would be phenomenal. Although you doesn't really need flaps on this plane and it flies so easilly. Just my 2c's worth.
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm

flying solo in calm conditions a 50MPH approach is ample and dual I would keep it at 60MPH and in gusty conditions with added power. I always teach my students to use flaps, and minimise flapless landings. The slowest posible touch down reduces ware, brakes etc. Now ofcourse this is all weather depending. vhpy Jamie
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 am

Yes aircraft with flaps should always be landed with flaps on when the weather allows it. As said - it reduces wear on the undercarriage. Find out what your aircraft's max speed with flaps on is - keep your speed under that in the circuit and get your final approach at stall * 1.3 at least. When the wind is gusting and or very bad crosswind it is sometimes better to then resort to no flaps and a little bit of extra speed.
On the cheetah max speed with flaps on is 80 mph so on downwind we get it down to 75 - flaps on after your downwind checks - keep speed at 75 - down to 70 over the fence - flare and hold her off. Similar procedure for you but modify the speeds for your airplane. If you need to hurry the circuit then only do flaps on final approach.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Tobie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tobie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 am

Thanks all for the info, on those nice fly days I'm trying the different speeds and its effect, flaps on and off, will keep posted.
Playing Planes.
ZU-BCW / ZU-BOC
Aerotrike / Challenger
Cor
Thinking of flying

Postby Cor » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 am

Hi there,

This is the first time I see active Q & A's on the Challenger. Have been flying one for about a year and a half now and agree totally with the approach speeds. I fly from Rosslyn Micro Flyers in PTA and would love to make contact with the rest of u flying the Challenger.

Regards

Cor ZU-BTM. Challenger, ZU-DEV, Aquilla
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 am

I had a challenger - Loved it... give me a shout if you need anything.. vhpy
RV9
DISH
Tobie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tobie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Cor,

Would like to hear from you, about 3 Challengers flying actievely in the Capetown area at the moment. Use to be more but I think a couple has been sold and moved to areas further away. Would also like to see how many Challengers are around. I believe Derek just south of gauteng sold his to a Freestate farmer.

Do you use the flaperons and what approach speeds are you using. I experimented the last few weeks a bit and find the controls a bit weak round 50mph, comfy 55 to 60.
Playing Planes.
ZU-BCW / ZU-BOC
Aerotrike / Challenger
Cor
Thinking of flying

Postby Cor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi, there

I quite agree with the sloppy controls at 50mph, and besides, unless a short field landing is required, speed equals stored energy, so 55 - 60 mph can't be faulted. I am part owner in Rosslyn Micro Flyers, about 8nm to the West of Rosslyn, Pta, and have now had my Chanllenger approved for flight trainining. I instruct here on a full time basis as well and have found the Challenger to be a very good platform for conventional controlled microlight training. (Docile qualities during low speed flight, gentle stalls with zero tendancies of wing drops).

As far as I am aware, there are approx 11 Challies flying around the country, but could be wrong - might be more. I would love to get names and contact details of the other Challenger operators and owners - nothing like sharing accurate info, or maybe even a get together somewhere.

My Challie utilizes flapperons. I have experimented and implemented the active use of flapperons while instructing on this plane. Just goes to show - if you read the manual and follow the instructions, it works. I use the flapperons the same way the "bigger" aeries use trim - actively - and it works!!!

An open invitation to all Challenger owners to contact me and share. Would really like to get accurate data on who and where the guys are that fly this beauty.
My Cell no is 082776 1605.

Regards till then

Cor
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:20 am

There are 5 Challengers at Morning Star, 4 flying and 1 in repair, BOD, CHD, WVV(Skidmark's) , WYG(Might have been sold now), BOM(being repaired)

SIngle seater APH was destroyed by the Conties tornado

Then there is my old one AUK - Short Wing

There is the one at Eendekuil, Wallaby's

There is one being repaired or is finally back in the air that belongs to Riaan from Lamberts bay

I have attached the pics of the current and old Morning Star Challies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Perkins
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 am

If somebody wants to sponsor a R100 a month we can start a Challenger specific discussion in the Aircraft Specific Discussions

viewforum.php?f=28
Greg Perkins
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 pm

There is one at Petit as well. Don't know the registration.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:There is one at Petit as well. Don't know the registration.
I think it is this one.

Since repainted and now looking like this!

This is the one that belonged to Dish, then at Rhino Park, not sure where it is now....

Great planes !
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Tobie
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tobie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Flying from Wintervogel Cape Town. vhpy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Playing Planes.
ZU-BCW / ZU-BOC
Aerotrike / Challenger
cross_wind
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cross_wind » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:40 am

I just bought this one. Still have to get it to JHB (from CPT). vhpy
Challenger 1.jpg
Challenger 2.jpg
Cross_Wind

Challenger II LS ZU-FCP
Zenith CH 750 ZU-KICK ASS (20% Complete)