SAR Search & Rescue - Flares & Smoke

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
MILO
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

SAR Search & Rescue - Flares & Smoke

Postby MILO » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Reading a post discussing SAR, sending sms's & Leaving flight plans etc.
Even around the cabbage patch we are flying over some fairly inhospitable territory, a Trike crash here in the Oliphants river gorge some months ago comes to mind. The big boss was looking after the pilot & Pax, crash time sometime around 17:30, recovery around 22:00 that evening. Guys still talk about how lucky it was to find the crash site.
Key learnings there were:
Carry your (Charged cellphone) - I understand the PAX managed to get comms with someone who new someone etc.
Tell someone where you are going to fly, seems basic but I have on occasion rocked up to fly "somewhere" for "a while" and pretty much done exactly that.
I have a small laminated Credit card sized card with family contact numbers, microlighter buddy numbers, blood group & med aid details in the pocket of my flight suit.
I have a couple of ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers in the phone as well (family friends & local ambulance service)
It probably sounds like small stuff, but what do you do when you hear a friend is down/hurts himself etc. Who are you going to phone if someone walks into the prop?
What I am after now is those pencil mini flares (screw on about the size of a 45 doppie), any ideas where I can get some?
I don't know if you can get small smoke "grenades", most times you may be able to hear the search aircraft but they can't see you.

I suppose accidents are a chain of events that all line up to hurt you so we try to take links out the chain (pre fights, practicing engine outs, sharing knowledeg through this site etc).
Maybye successful recovery after an accident may depend on a sequence of events, here you want to make sure you put as many links into the chain as possible.
If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: SAR Search & Rescue - Flares & Smoke

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Good advice all round
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Try the boating shops for those pencil flares. I have normally bought them there before.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
coastwise
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby coastwise » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Boating shops will definitely have them as they form part of the equipment required for a sea worthy certificate.
Aviate Raptor
Old, Fat and Hairy
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Chuck an old CD/DVD in your bag or a side pocket. They can be used as a heliograph/signaling mirror or as a blade if broken in half. 10m of para cord packs up small and is relatively light but very strong. Always find a use for it.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:35 am

Take a bush pilot :idea: course it helps a lot :idea: Its a small investment but it can safe your life and its fun to do just like advanced auto training, Control a vehicle, learning how to drift we all think we can drive good, I do to 60.000 K a year. But once you do the advanced driver trainer you know you still can learn things.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:32 am

I am amazed by the amount of ok`es taking off from my home field, and then flying out North, with NO WATER on board. "Out North" is semi desert. You can die of thirst out there. Especially in summer. It gets hotter `n hell out here. And in winter, out in the open with no survival gear, you will freeze your nuts off. Please be prepared. :shock:
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 am

Sounds simple, but have your cell phone and flare/ reflector assesable on your flight suit, or within reach of where you're seated should you be banged up and can't start rummaging through your pannier bags.

Maybe even a piece of rubber to ignite with fuel for a longer flare.

P.s Maybe the established strips/ schools can show an product list for flares / maps e.t.c. and take orders the guys out of range or arrange a fly-in.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
TranSky
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby TranSky » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Best I've come up with is a laser (size of your small finger and twice as long) You can buy ones that burn plastic. Unlike flares etc they show a clear route back to the user. They are extremely accurate, work day or night and can illuminate (they say) more than 5 kms away. Bought in Thailand but seen them on eBay.
GavinL-W
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby GavinL-W » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:57 am

I know that there is a knife shop in santon city shopping mall that does sell pencil flares, I am unsure of the price but guess they are about R500/R600 for 10. If anyone wants I can post an example of a fairly good survival kit idea, its one we teach our scouts to use and carry in the event of emergency on hikes.
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Try the boating shops for those pencil flares. I have normally bought them there before.
These are the guys:

Helen Dekker
Sales Representative
SMD Telecommunications (Pty) Ltd
Durban Office

Phone: +27-31-2051122
Fax: +27-31-2050999
Mobile: +27 82 4545457
www.smd-marine.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"