Solid tyres?

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Solid tyres?

Postby kb » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:59 pm

hi all,
A puncture has to be one of the worst dampers to any pilot - arrive at the airfield, ready to fly, and see you have a puncture. You should have heard the language at Ballito airfield last friday.
I know that for bicycles, one can get solid foam rubber inserts that go inside the tyre, therefore eliminating the need for air. I have even heard about these inserts that are not completely the right size, and you put abit of air inside. This way, you ride on air, but should you get a puncture, the air leaks,a nd then the rubber takes the weight. so, your tyre is not completely flat, but firm enought hat you can still roll, without damaging the tyre.
Anyway, has anyone heard about these for trikes / seen them / have a big investor / have a degree in designing / have a friend that works at Michelin??If you are lost, I'll try draw you pictures
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
arthurl
Looking at the sky

Wheel barrow

Postby arthurl » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:24 pm

kb,
Check out your local hardware store for solid wheel barrow wheels.
You'll have about the same effect. :shock:
Put some of these solid tubes in my lighties bicycle a few years back.
Poor little oke nearly burst a foofie valve trying to pedal the extra weight. :lol:
I'd rather be flying
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:09 am

I have used "Gatvol" in the past with good results :)

Use the same stuff on the kids bikes with great results :D

Buy them at Midas
No it does not glide- it FLIES
Malcolm
Found a flight school

Postby Malcolm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi kb,
I have suffered the same frustration on a number of occasions. The problem I have is that the Jabiru has split rims and if the wheel is not pumped hard enough, when landing, the tyre turns on the rim and punctures the tube.

What is even more scary is when you land and the wheel deflates quickly, the effect is similar to having a blow-out in a car. This happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I landed up in the veld about 10 meters to the left of the runway. Fortunately the fence is not close to the runway.

So, I’m with you on this one. Hopefully someone comes up with a light weight “perma-tube” for aircraft tyres.
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:06 am

Hello guys,

No perma-tube that I know of, but I always carry "Tyre-fix" with me should you get a puncture and need to fly!! (^^)
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40