Electric start for 503

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Electric start for 503

Postby Morph » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:00 pm

I have had it with my electric (non)starter on my 503 motor. I have had it serviced (2-months ago), replaced all the brushes, bushes etc and now it is stuffed again. :evil: After the service it then took 2 batteries in parallel to crank it and now it cranks no more. This starter I believe was developed here in SA about 10 years (or before) ago and mounts on the exhaust side of the motor. The traditional pull starter is replaced by a large toothed sprocket which turns freely in the reverse and engages when you turn it in the forward direction (I am at a loss for the technical term) The starter connects to this sprocket via a toothed rubber belt. When the starter is engaged it rotates the large spocket, which then engages and turns the motor. As soon the motor starts the large sprocket disengages.

The net result is since I don't have a pull starter I have to hand-prop the plane, which isn't a big issue and quite easy to do, but has it's dangers.

What solutions are out there to replace this system with another solution :?:
Greg Perkins