Ready to fly??!! It's a lie!!

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
arthurl
Looking at the sky

Ready to fly??!! It's a lie!!

Postby arthurl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:07 pm

I was wondering how many flying machine owners are caught out with the "ready to fly" advert of vendors.
A "ready to fly aircraft" (in my opinion) should be fitted with (at the least) radio, compass, altimeter and possess an "Authority to fly" certificate.
I assume of course you have all the other essentials like engine & wings etc.
I'd like to hear comment from experienced pilots, vendors and students (suckers) like myself.
I'd rather be flying
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:43 pm

I have found this with the reviews done by AP last month.

The prices advertised are not all from a level playing field as when you phone to confirm the prices you get the real picture: "there is extra for what ever instrument arrangement you want" OR "for the rated cruise speed you need the 120hp option which is RXXX more"!

Prices should have been determined on a complete "ready to fly option".
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:57 pm

They typically say "Ready to Fly from RXXX". This covers their arses when you query the price. However it's no different from the car industry who also give you a price, but when you want sound, metalllic paint, mags, etc etc this gets added on and then comes licencing and registration. The best is to get them to quote you on your specific config in writing, including all the hidden costs.
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:02 pm

Flight/plane reviews in states often have 2 prices.

Recommended Retail Price
Price as tested (often way higher than base level entry price)

This helps as it adds realistic view to what the pictures in the mag actually cost.

The bare minimum entry level ("fly away") is to get you in the door, then sell you on the added value items. Same happens in car industry. I found this when I bought the RV. Many of the faster plastic 3 axis types I looked at seriously were advertised as fly away for R500Kish mark, but then you have to add to some shipping, VAT, reg costs, instruments (like radio :idea: which should be standard) etc. Most frustrating. When I bought I test flew the "ready" to fly's and detailed what was required to meet my needs (often a huge increase in price) and got a fixed price quote. I then went into used market to look for same package deal to get feel for value. Often a newish second hand aerie offers far better value than a brand new "fly away" model. Had it not been for the R:$ I would have bought a local plastic second hand although it was more expensive than the "fly away" new price. When I addedd all the necessary (not extravagant, but rather must haves) to the new one it was R100K more than the same second hand aerie with 55hrs on clock and it was avalabe immediately...

2c

PS
Do you homework. You make your money (or loose it) when you buy not when you sell... Take your time it's a buyers market.
:wink:
arthurl
Looking at the sky

Optional extras

Postby arthurl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Hey guys & girls, I can understand a price increase for optional extras or personal preferences over suppliers standard.

But how about a manufacturers comment like,"the compass will never work properly because of stray magnetics, it's only there to fill the hole in the Panel"!! :evil:

and

Proving flight authority only - i.e. cannot carry passengers, fly outside a 50km radius, cannot be used to obtain conversion to type etc. etc...... :?
I'd rather be flying
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Optional extras

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:58 pm

arthurl wrote:But how about a manufacturers comment like,"the compass will never work properly because of stray magnetics, it's only there to fill the hole in the Panel"!! :evil:
I know when I bought my second hand Challenger it didn't have a compass. I spoke to various people in the club and they told me not to bother as it will never work properly in any case due to the close proximity to radio's, power sources, metal, GPS's etc. I went ahead and installed one since I felt it was legally required (Aviation law handbook)and it was a big struggle to get it even reading close to accurately. Eventually I have got it to read correctly down the runway in both directions and at + and - 90 degrees and I have checked it against the GPS and I would say it is within +/- 5 percent. I have accepted that it will never be accurate and I will only use it as a backup if the GPS quits. Some of the guys here have even just installed a simple yachting compass that is pratically useless but still technically is legal.
Greg Perkins
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:35 am

jcvb wrote:add to some shipping, VAT....
Would it have been cheaper to fly it back to your airfield ':- ':-
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:53 am

Got my tail feathers burned on this same problem, Bought as per photograph but what i got is definately not what is in the photograph. :evil: Got burned nicely but i have taken it as a learning curve, next time i will know better. :x :x Just get a second opinion and take a knowledgeable person with you when you go and look.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:10 am

We are agents for SkyRanger in SA, and when I advertise or quote, I include all the instruments I would normally like, a 3-blade composite prop, prop-cone, radio, intercom, headsets, registration and authority to fly, (and include the doors). Exactly like the picture. Exactly like I would want to fly.

Problem is, this then puts me about 10-15k more than the competition, and I get that remark constantly. When I try to point out that they should read the fine print of what they will buy with the "competition", I get that look of "you're bulling now to get my bussiness", and dont' hear much from them after that :evil:

I get the feeling that if I suckered people in the same way, I will get more sales. People seem to want to ge suckers. :evil: :evil: Supermarkets and restaurants still marking their products at RXX.99 seems to prove the human psychology part of it. :shock: Pick 'n Pay don't even want to accept 1c and 2c pieces any more, yet most of their products end in a .99 :?:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 am

Tailspin wrote: Just get a second opinion and take a knowledgeable person with you when you go and look.
This is where I see great value in this forum. You get a chance to chat to guys who have been there and done that. They will definately point out the pitfalls etc. :)
Greg Perkins
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:13 am

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:We are agents for SkyRanger in SA,
FF, when you quote a Sky R, why not quote, he basic price is R XXX, and you get ABC included. However, if you were to add on XYZ, which I do recomend, the price will be then R XXXX
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:17 am

kb wrote:
Fairy Flycatcher wrote:We are agents for SkyRanger in SA,
FF, when you quote a Sky R, why not quote, he basic price is R XXX, and you get ABC included. However, if you were to add on XYZ, which I do recomend, the price will be then R XXXX
That is pretty much how I do quote, but I don't list the "basic", ex instruments etc. as "ready to fly" cause that will be a lie :wink:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:19 am

FF I think you are running into a psychological price ceiling. A lot of people seem to need to believe they have got a bargain. I was talking to some one who bought a new trike and he claimed he had paid a lot less that I had been quoted and was rather smug about it. When I questioned him a bit further he did admitted that he had paid “a bit more” for the “extras”. Maybe the base price was what his partner had agreed to. I gree with KB. Maybe you should do the same and quote for the extras separately. (Who needs all those silly instruments anyway.)

BTW the practice of quoting RXX.99 or RXX.95 was done originally to force the cashier to open the till to give change and not just pocket the money. Not necessary these days with scanners. I think the practice should be banned.
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:45 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not a marketing person, and my biggest fault is always thinking that other people view things similarly to myself.

Maybe I should publish a seperate price, which the guys can show their wives :roll: :wink: , and the true price is only secretly agreed on :twisted:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:59 am

Maybe I should publish a seperate price, which the guys can show their wives , and the true price is only secretly agreed on
Now you are getting the hang of it FF.

An aviators worst nightmare is that when he dies his wife sells his toys for the price he told her he paid for them :D
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg